General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

San Diego Vacation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 01:48 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
San Diego Vacation?

We are thinking about a California vacation this summer, and San Diego came up (or San Francisco). What is there to do in San Diego in July? I've heard Tiajuana is right next door. This will be a family trip, but my son is 18, so we don't need Disney type stuff. How about the weather? Is it really as pleasant as I've heard? Coming from FL in July, very few places would be hotter.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:34 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One problem I can think of- you'll never want to go home. Not only is San Diego cooler, we can't concieve of 80+% humidity unless it's raining on the left coast. Last two words: no bugs. At least nothing like I've seen in Florida.

Sea World is a must see- we've been to the one in Orlando, doesn't hold a candle to San Diego. (Orlando is more ride-oriented, San Diego is wildlife oriented). The zoo is another must see, but plan for at least two days to see it (it's that big). The wild animal Park in Escondido is another one-of-a-kind, and worth the drive.

Do some googling- there's a lot to do and see in the area, especially if you expand your horizons north a bit (San Juan Capistrano to Newport Beach). Plan on some beach time too. OK, a lot of beach time.

re: Tijuana. It's an aquired taste, IMO. If you keep travelling south down the Baja, though, there's some breathtaking scenery. Great fishing too.

We go down every year for spring break- this will be the first year we missed in a long time.

edit: be careful of San Fransisco- weather isn't always ideal. Actually, they have worse weather than Portland- fog can roll in without warning, turn everything bleak and gray for days.

The Northwest Chapter of FTE
we don't get lost,
we just get found

Last edited by polarbear; 03-20-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
San Diego for sure.
Let's hope you golf

For fun :
Zip into LA for Magic Mountain (a day)
& another at Knott's Berry Farm.