Sponsored by:

Shackle Reversal Design and Concept?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 11:18 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shackle Reversal Design and Concept?

So the time is coming (spring break, 2 weeks) to do the sas and lift to the budget bogger, ahh how it has grown (damn you guys are evil ). Anyway to do the lift to the front I will do a shackle reversal (elminate the need for a trac bar as well), but i'm unsure of how to design it, and i'm looking to see what you guys would think the way to go is, remember the truck is an 81 f-250 (it does have the swiss cheese frame BTW).

Here's my idea:
First i would box the front frame rails back to the engine crossmember to give me something to bolt to on the inside of the frame, and also streghten the frame up front, as the rails on these truck will bend with not a lot of force. Then for the hanger i would take a piece of 3/8" think tube thats the same size as the frame (so it sides right over), then chop the top part of the tube off. Then basically i would take another piece of tubing (3" wide), weld it to the square tubing and cut it to the lenght i want to drop the front of the spring down, i would add gussets on all sides to stregthen. Then i would drill and bolt the new bracket to the frame, and once on i would weld 1 piece of round tubing to the rectangle tube around the frame, and have it go between the frame rails as an extra brace, and then i would do the same at the bottom (where the leaf spring bolts), cutting access holes for the spring bolts.

The only thing i have an idea for on the shackles is that i would build them the same way i built the rear shackles (pictures in home brewed creations), and i will also box the frame (to fit the shackle mounting brackets), but from there i have not a clue.

So how bout some of your guys and gals's ideas and input on this.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:56 AM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They say a picture is worth a lengthy post so...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=49041&.jpg

Old 03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Stange, have you looked at my front hanger gallery?

Old 03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeah i have a couple of times, but my front frame is different:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal.../52295.520.390

So i've got the front hangers down, but i think that i will go to a crossmember type like yours ivan, but i need to box the front frame in order for it to have something to bolt onto on the inside.

But i still don't know what to do for the shackles and mounting bracket. With the shackles of yours ivan, (i'm assuming your springs are 3" wide), is that bushing on the frame inside a weld tube, and its 3" wide correct.

Cutts if you read this you think you could get a picture of the shackles/mounting bracket for me?

Last edited by mustange70; 03-16-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:08 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the 70s trucks they have a bracket that bolts inside the frame. It is where the shackle bolt goes thru. Maybe you could retrofit a 70s rear shackle bracket. It looks like a tube with a web design out for the bolt holes. Maybe one of the 70s F250 guys have a pic of what I am talking about?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mustange70
Cutts if you read this you think you could get a picture of the shackles/mounting bracket for me?
lol well i would but i am in the process of rebuilding mine.... for the 5th freaking time! i have been experimenting with different designs and i think i have found the best. i'll post up as soon as i get them fabbed up. prolly next week sometime due to skool and tellico

-cutts-

Old 03-17-2005, 04:35 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
That would be great cutts, as it won't be till the last week of the month before i will be able to do this.

I know where i can get a few pictures of a 70's truck with leafs (will probably purchase the truck at an aunction for cheap, but thats still another month and a half away.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,459 Likes on 951 Posts
check out my gallery. theres is a pic of how the shackle is mounted on the outside part of the frame

Old 03-18-2005, 12:37 PM
miker67
Elder User
Swamp Donkey has diagrams with dimensions of some that he built posted on his website, you may find them very insightfull to help design your own.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:38 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeah kubota, i need to see what the inside of the frame looks like at that mount, thanks anyway.

miker67, i looked up that user and i only found one result and he didn't have a user gallery created, unless i looked up the worng name, but who knows.

But i now think that i will do the shackles like i did the rear, build a mounting bracket, mount it in the frame, notch the bottom so it doesn't hit anything, but i would like to go the same way the 70's trucks are done.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
I'm a little lost (what's new?) but I think you're asking how the shackles for the front springs are mounted to the frame. There is a tube, more or less, welded to the inside of the frame with a bushing in it. What would be a better option for you however is to just use a rear spring shackle and then weld a boxed set of tabs to the bottom of your frame. I don't have a picture here but this is similar to what Pro did on his, only he had to move his shackle mounts outside the frame to accomodate the later axle. Welding them right to the bottom would be easy as could be. In fact if you have a piece of square/rectangular tubing which has an inner diameter equal to the width of the shackle you can just cut a coupld inches off of it, split it in half, drill two holes and weld it to the frame. Does this make sense?

Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Ok now i know how the shackle mounts to the frame (just as i thought, but i wasn't entirely sure), now that i am sure this is the route that i will go, thanks for clearing that up ivan.

And surprisingly enough i understand what you said, and its about how i was going to do it.

Now that that is sorted out, i have a couple quick q's about a few measurements about the bushing/tubing size, basically whats the diameter of that tube/bushing? (makes find parts easy if i get it the same size as the stock for part), oh an ivan your shackles are approximately 6" long correct?

Hopefully i will get these brackets welded up before i head back down to the farm so all's i have to do is box the frame and bolt everything up.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:41 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
My shackles are approximately 6" long. Don't remember exactly but they're close around there. I don't know the bushing size. If you check any good parts store they should be able to get them for you for about $10 each BUT if you're using the shackle setup like I described you won't need them because the rear shackles already have the bushings in them.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:18 PM
miker67
Elder User
Mustange, the weblink to swamp donkey's site is http://www.swamp-donkey.biz/TTB_Conv...onversion.html

scroll down the page and you will see links to the hanger diagrams.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:22 PM
miker67
Elder User
oh yeah, Sky Manufacturing and Off-Road Unlimited also make shackle reversal kits. You can go to their site(s) to get a mental picture of what they have to build your own variant. If you do find swamp donkeys stuff, it looks to me like his are adjustable, to see which height works best.