1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

K & N verses aftermarket??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 AM
jknoll
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K & N verses aftermarket??

Anyone know the difference between replacing air intake with K & N and aftermarket ones? Aftermarket intakes run in the $50 range whereas K & N's are $200 and up. Does anyone really know the difference between the two? Does same increases in Horsepower equal between the two, in real life other than what descriptions read? Is there a difference in a few horsepower difference? Am I just paying for the K & N name? Someone please help.....

John

Old 03-11-2005, 10:37 AM
GoodJava
Freshman User
John,

Do a search here for aftermarket intakes. You'll find that their claims for more HP are bogus. The only proven change will be a blinged out the engine compartment and wallet lightened by 200 bones.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodJava
The only proven change will be a blinged out the engine compartment and wallet lightened by 200 bones.
Don't forget that they sound cool when you get on it!

Old 03-11-2005, 09:45 PM
ZUGtastic!!!
Freshman User
dont know if it can be done with the Expy but you could always take off the air box and slap a cone filter on the end of your intake tubing.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Xmen
Senior User
THere is no difference...Because a K&N filter IS an aftermarket filter...

Old 03-13-2005, 07:16 PM
GoodJava
Freshman User
Oh and I'll add that I've heard a few stories where folks with k&n have found dust inside the MAF (past the filter) when cleaning. YIKES. All the bling and dirt for your engine. Whata deal.

Old 03-13-2005, 10:26 PM
ZUGtastic!!!
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GoodJava
Oh and I'll add that I've heard a few stories where folks with k&n have found dust inside the MAF (past the filter) when cleaning. YIKES. All the bling and dirt for your engine. Whata deal.
I've never heard bad things about K&N before I came here to FTE, I use K&N products and never have problem with them.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:44 AM
jknoll
Freshman User
Thanks

Thanks for the info. Just trying to get the best set up for me at of course the cheapest price. So I wasn't sure if K & N's were any better that knock-off models. They seem to look like the exact same thing. How much differences can they be, I guess it's just a hollow tube with an air filter attached. Doesn't seem like rocket science. But the dirt in the engine, that's a different story. Anyone had major problems from this?