Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

got truck back from mechanic today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:02 PM
jadel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up got truck back from mechanic today.

all i can say is wow what adifference i was having trouble with alot of smoke on morning start up and he removed the injectors and had them cleaned and all new internal parts put in them.Now there is very little smoke and what a difference in power low end and top end both i had the 10k mod on and it used to make a big difference but now it makes very little i think i will try the 5.6k and see how that works.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

That's good to hear. Not too often you hear a truck coming back from a mechanic and actually having more power than before!!

Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Rowdyone
Senior User
That sure does sound good, I know your more than happy with the outcome of that. I would be.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by farmb0y
That's good to hear. Not too often you hear a truck coming back from a mechanic and actually having more power than before!!
That's 'cause he's going to the right place! I get more compliments than complaints when I fix my customer's vehicles.
Note to admin: I specialize in VW and Audi so don't worry I am not fishing here. I need to learn more about the PSD than I know now before I want to get paid for working on them.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jadel
all i can say is wow what adifference i was having trouble with alot of smoke on morning start up and he removed the injectors and had them cleaned and all new internal parts put in them.Now there is very little smoke and what a difference in power low end and top end both i had the 10k mod on and it used to make a big difference but now it makes very little i think i will try the 5.6k and see how that works.
Where exactly did your mechanic send your injectors to have them rebuilt, and can you, or are they willing to identify which "all new internal parts" were put in them. Also, how much did it cost to have them done?

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
That's 'cause he's going to the right place!
You have no idea how accurate that statement is (maybe you do ). Only one of the four somewhat local Ford dealers here have an actual diesel mechanic...the rest just have some punk kid tech wannabe plugged in because somebody has to do it.

I thought about taking the job when one of them offered it to me, but aircraft maintenance pays better...at least in Little Rock it does.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cookie88
You have no idea how accurate that statement is (maybe you do ). Only one of the four somewhat local Ford dealers here have an actual diesel mechanic...the rest just have some punk kid tech wannabe plugged in because somebody has to do it.

I thought about taking the job when one of them offered it to me, but aircraft maintenance pays better...at least in Little Rock it does.
Yes, exactly. Getting the job done right separates the men from the boys. I don't know about the pay scale for aircraft maintainance in Seattle vs auto repair. Self employment for me pays the best.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:26 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Self employment for me pays the best.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:57 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Dan-
Where did you send the injectors for the work? Seattle Injector? I've heard they're quite efficient, but don't do anything in the way of upgrades.

Old 03-09-2005, 05:47 AM
jadel
Senior User
I live in canada and my mechanic sent them to a diesel tec guy who specializes in this,not sure the name of the business.All i was told is they replaced the springs and seals and cleaned them this is supposed to make them as good as new the truck is even more quiet now alot less rattle.The cost to have them done was alot $1800.00 but to buy new ones here in canada was going to cost me about $3000.00 plus installation and i shopped around ford dealer was closer to $4000.00 so this is a considerable saving doing it this way instead of buying new.I think it is well worth it with the power gain i got,iam intrested to see if the fuel milage changes any.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Quadzilla
Dan-
Where did you send the injectors for the work? Seattle Injector? I've heard they're quite efficient, but don't do anything in the way of upgrades.
My business specializes in VW and Audi, so I only work on >my< Ford. I might add that no one else touches it! I have not ever needed to do injector work, but I will cross that bridge when it comes. VW corp. uses Bosch injection on everything and I have several excellent wholesale sources on new and reman units. World Pac, IMC, Altrom.
I also have heard good things about Seattle Injector, but have not had an occation to call them. The fuel these days have so much detergent in them that the injectors just never get coked up around here on the gassers. And the diesel injectors will go for a VERY long time. I've needed to replace diesel injectors on various customers cars maybe 5 - 10 times in the past 20 years. Very rare. And on most of those they ran just fine, but the glow plug tip was getting burned away due to the spray pattern being bad.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
BTW Quadzilla, I think your oil leak is coming from the bottom of your HPOP, possibly from the IPR valve and running back.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jadel
I live in canada and my mechanic sent them to a diesel tec guy who specializes in this,not sure the name of the business.All i was told is they replaced the springs and seals and cleaned them this is supposed to make them as good as new the truck is even more quiet now alot less rattle.The cost to have them done was alot $1800.00 but to buy new ones here in canada was going to cost me about $3000.00 plus installation and i shopped around ford dealer was closer to $4000.00 so this is a considerable saving doing it this way instead of buying new.I think it is well worth it with the power gain i got,iam intrested to see if the fuel milage changes any.
Thanks for the info. While $225 each is hardly a bargain, it does sound like you got your money's worth. I'd wager you'll see at least a 1-2 mpg improvement....if you can keep your foot out of it.

Old 03-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
$225 Canadian is not the same as $225 US not sure of the current exchange rate but its usually about $1.00 Canadian = $.95 US. If that is still true then the rebuild job cost about $213 US per injector. Still a little pricey but the old axiom you get what you pay for is very true. While it is possible to pay more than the value of what you recieve it extremely unusual to recieve somthing with a value greater than what you paid

Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Snewpy
New User
$1.00 Canadian = $.95 US
I wish I could get $.95 US for a canuck buck. Current rate is actually around $.83 US.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Bummer

Then rebuild was $187 not bad but still more than a set of Baby Swamps.