1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Remove interior plastic panels (1992 Chateau van)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:13 PM
lp92chateau
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Remove interior plastic panels (1992 Chateau van)

I need to remove the plastic panelling from the rear doors and cargo area to do some minor camperization... took a look, removed a couple screws from fixtures & stuff, but the panels don't seem to want to budge...

are there tricks to getting these off?

or does anyone know any places to go to get a procedure for removing them? (nothing in my Haynes manual... )

thanks in advance!
Larry

Old 03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
kynnhoj
Senior User
The upper half of the panels come off first. (remove screws from window latches and upper panels are held on by plastic tabs that are molded in to metal spring retrainers that are attached to the doors. The lower panels have 2 screws that are revealed after removing the upper panel. After screws are removed the lower panel lifts up and the off. Good luck and you might want to use a paint scraper under the upper panels to pry them out ( they will just pop out of the retainers) Same with the side panels ( upper first) John

Old 03-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Tree
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing happen on the side door, could not seem to get to the tabs that hold the upper window trim on. Do you have to remove the entire window? (including upper hinges) to get to them, I could feel the tabs, but could not get them to release.

Where exactly is the paint scraper inserted?

Thanks, tree

Old 03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
kynnhoj
Senior User
Tree, The tabs are just a friction fit. Put the blade between the plastic and the door itself and lever/pry the panel out. The window stays in place, just the opener/latch is removed to free up the panel. John

Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
lp92chateau
Freshman User
thanks for the info John

I believe you are saying just (carefully) pry straight out. (I was guessing that maybe everything was "hooked" into place and that the panels needed to be pried upwards, but I guess you're saying it's simpler than that. I pried a bit on the upper panel on the rear door, but felt like it was going to break... I'll try again)

Old 03-07-2005, 08:21 PM
kynnhoj
Senior User
Tree, Yes, it is pretty un-nerving but it will eventually pull out of the retainers. The lower panels lift "up" after removing the screws. (there are L shaped fingers molded into the panels, you'll soon see) John

Old 03-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Tree
Freshman User
John, wish I could post attachments, but to do it verbally, you are saying to slip the paint scraper into the left and right outside edge of the plastic trim, down low, and just pry it straight out? (starting at the edge of the trim, next to the side of the door, with the scraper flat on the same plane as the door?) Like if it were nailed on and I was using a prybar to pry it off?
I am talking standing with the door open and I am on the inside side of the door.

I was getting it to come loose about 1/2" using my hands. Then it sort of hit a place where it didn't want to come out any farther, and when I pushed it back, it tightened back up. I spent about an hour trying to get this off on Sat. That is why I am asking so many questions. If it weren't raining, I would go try it now.

Thanks John, tree. Sorry to be so dense

Old 03-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Tree
Freshman User
Yeah, getting the top panel off is the problem, took the front door panel off easily, putting it back on was a bit of a trick, but not too bad, getting all the clips to line up and getting the lock plunger in the hole at the same time. tree

Also, the reason I am trying to do this, is there is a problem with my memory lock thing on the side door, link to thread here in the van section titled "Mystery door locks".

lp92chateau, I have the same, '92 chateau, just picked up a factory electrical and vacuum book on ebay. Lots of wires on these babies. My last van had about 5 wires, and this one has about 500.

Last edited by Tree; 03-07-2005 at 08:47 PM.