1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Carbon removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carbon removal?

I recall back in the days of my street racing era, Several friends of mine use to take a cup of water and pour it into the carburator. To do this, you had to open the throttle wide open, let the RPM come up and start pouring. The water would enter the engine and from the change in temperature would break off any carbon deposits on either the valve faces or piston heads. I recall having it done to my 351 windsor, and the engine ran much harder down the quarter mile strip. Maybe it was my imagination. I do recall pulling the head off an old engine with several miles on it, and the piston heads were clean... Just a thought. Don't try it at home and email me telling me you blew up the engine. I'm only suggesting here. LOL...

Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Water is sort of a dumb thing to use. It turns to steam and scours all lubrication off the cylinder walls.

Use ATF instead, just be sure to do it outside and stand upwind. Use up to a quart and pour very slowly while keeping the revs around 1500 or so. ATF is a highly refined 10W oil; it will burn off the carbon and also lube. Also great for freeing up valves in our old engines. Ive been using it for about 40 years now in everything from lawn mowers and up.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good post 286, when I worked at an un-named Ford dealer that was a part of our engine cleaning/injection service , it works!

Old 03-04-2005, 12:15 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Thanks 286, I have been thinking about using something to help clean the carbon out. I have always used Chemtool in the gas, but I will give the trans fluid a try.

Rod

Old 03-04-2005, 01:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Sure seems like you're risking hydraulic lock-up by "injecting" either oil or water directly. Why not mix it in with the gas?

Old 03-04-2005, 01:18 PM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"We" put it into a spray bottle so that it is atomized when it goes in, eliminates the hydraulic problem

Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
We never had a problem with the hydraulic using water. I've seen it being used several times on the race track also. With the heat in the engine, it evaporates immediately, but breaks all the carbon apart blowing it out the exhaust. Similar to putting boiling hot water soaked glass marbles into ice water. It schatters. I don't know if ATF would work, it sounds more like it would lubricate more than remove the carbon. Adding oil to the gas will only plug up your fuel lines and mess up the carburator/ fuel filter. I've done with about 4 oz of water and have never had a problem yet. Crossing my fingers.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:23 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Hemi that would choke up after extended city driving. I would run it almost out of gas and the put in 5 gal of aviation gas. I would set it nose up to the garage door, to restrict air flow, and run it at 1500 or so RPM until it got real warm. Than a blast down the ThruWay and she cleaned right up. It was quite impressive a nite with the sparks blowing out the pipes.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 286merc
Water is sort of a dumb thing to use. It turns to steam and scours all lubrication off the cylinder walls.

Use ATF instead, just be sure to do it outside and stand upwind. Use up to a quart and pour very slowly while keeping the revs around 1500 or so. ATF is a highly refined 10W oil; it will burn off the carbon and also lube. Also great for freeing up valves in our old engines. Ive been using it for about 40 years now in everything from lawn mowers and up.
That's even dumber.

Buy a product actually designed for the job. Trickle it in the carb until you kill the motor. Let it sit a while and restart it.

You had that coming Carl.

Actually, I've done everything mentioned on this thread and don't think I really ever hurt an engine. I like GM XT-66 and Seafoam the best.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I think a grit blaster would work best. Wouldn't take but a couple minutes to knock all the carbon off everything once you got the engine disassembled. Heck, it would prolly knock off lots of other stuff too. 'Course, I think a grit blaster works best to clean everything.

I also hear 'fenders and his daughter put a load of grit in his engine to clean it out and he says it still runs.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Was that grit or grits he used? Better for cleaning engines than eating in MHO!

Old 03-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now AX, you ain't a southern boy? Being from Wisconsin, I didn't think I'd like grits, but I find I kind of like 'em. They are kind of like Malt-O-Meal with a little sand added, ya know?

Ford Truck, Ford Truck.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:33 PM
redlightning
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard all the suggestions before but have never tried them.When I worked at honda the tech line recomended the gm top engine cleaner.I figured if honda recomended a gm product it must work.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
That's even dumber.

Buy a product actually designed for the job. Trickle it in the carb until you kill the motor. Let it sit a while and restart it.

You had that coming Carl.

Coming from you Dewayne I should expect it. Next time you can get your nose in the clear take a wiff of the commercial cleaner. Sort of smells like ATF now dont it?? Read the ingredients.

Those that want to continue with water and remain among the clueless be my guest. They probably think Russian Roulette is a fun game also.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:05 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
[I]Those that want to continue with water and remain among the clueless be my guest. They probably think Russian Roulette is a fun game also.

I only suggested this method, I'm not saying it works or its a good idea as do I recommend putting ATF down into your engine. I just brought the topic up because I saw someone putting water down into the carburator and I got flashbacks of when we did it back in the days of street racing. And...... I was curious if other people heard of and used this method. I think I made it clear in my original post not to try this at home, particularly if you don't know what your doing. I don't recommend playing Russian Roulette either.

Quick Reply: Carbon removal?