Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Gasoline in Deisel engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
bmswank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gasoline in Deisel engine

I have a fleet of 10 Superduty's with 7.3 deisels in them. I had 2 of them get 8 gallons of gasoline put in the tanks. What damage would occur to the motors if they were run on the gasoline?

Old 03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
dieselmech
New User
What years? The gasoline could mess the injection pump up because of no lubercation that the diesel provides, the tanks really need drained.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Drain the fuel tanks, drain the fuel line by opening the fuel regulator valve and turn on your key. Replace the fuel filter and re-fill your tank with diesel.

Gas is harsh on fuel pumps and injectors. High concentrations of gas could result in motor detonation.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:58 PM
bilter
Mountain Pass
My cousin did that with his 7.3. Not sure of the ratio of gas to diesel but he did not get very far and ended up needing a total rebuild of his motor. Not sure what the exact damage was but it was quite expensive to repair.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
I filled mine completely full (long story) with gas at only 12K miles on the clock!
Got about 1 mile away and realized what had happened when it started bucking. I shut it down. Did the above and everything has been fine since. Have over 50K since the "accident" with no problems at all.

I would definetley dump the tanks and not risk blending or diluting with diesel.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:37 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
how did this all happen

Old 03-03-2005, 03:48 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Well, if you must know...........

Friday night, anxious to get home and then go out, running late.
Pull up to my Mobil station pump but someone has my spot so I go to the other side of the pump, pop the lid and insert the green handled hose. HHHmmmmm doesn't smell.(hint #1)......ahhh.....this place is new and just super clean. Jamming on the stereo.....done.
Fire it up and head out..........get 1 mile and starts buckin........no stinkie on my pinkie.....shut her down.
Mobil uses green handles for their premium gas and their diesel,at least they did.
Told the tow truck driver I put gas in my diesel and he said......."You got it over at the Mobil didin't you?", ""I tow a few diesels a week that fill up their"
HOW EMBARASSING!!!
Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night..............

Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Rackpatrol
Senior User
Dont feel to bad, I came closer than a cat whisker to doing the same thing with the green handle. I just got lucky I guess." IT SHOULD BE A STANDARD THAT GREEN SHOULD BE DIESEL AND NOTHING ELSE". It is to easy to make that mistake.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
I like Chevron's colors. Red for 87, White for 89, Blue for 91, and Green for #2. Not to mention the #2 pumps usually don't have the collector snorkel on the end on the spout. Seeing how Diesel doesn't fume... it would be a waste.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:38 AM
fedextech
Senior User
for that ratio, 8 gallons of gas/32 gals of diesel, you could add 2 qts of atf to the tank and you should be ok.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:23 AM
bmswank
New User
Well actually we did run the trucks, and in both trucks the injectors went out. The problem I have is the gas station is a full service, and the owner of the gas station is the one who put gasoline in first. After he realized what he did, he filled up the remainder with deisel, and said the gasoline would not hurt the motor. Needless to say, the injectors are out on both trucks (several thosand to replace), and the gas station owner will not take any responsibility. He still claims the the gasoline did not cause any damage to the motor. So, I am looking for some responses from you all to take and show him he IS WRONG.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:41 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will give you a couple of reasons, first you didn't say where you from but this is winter which means that the fuel is probably blended with #1 to start with which has less lubrication then he further dilutited it with gas which is the same as dumping gas into your oil I gaurentee your bearings will go out. since he has admitted doing it you have no problem in court get and since BOTH trucks dropped the injectors, that is further proof that his mistake caused the problem. My recommendation is don't talk to him again get an attorney (and I don't make that recommendation lightly as I really dislike lawyers) have him write a letter stating if he doesn't pay for the repairs immediatly it will be taken to court, and he can then also pay for the attorney fees, and the cost of the rental vehicles while they are down. If he takes it to his attorney he will soon realize it will be much, much cheaper to pay for it then fight it.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:42 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
I think it woul be failry easy to have a Ford Service Manager vouch for the damage and that the gas could have caused it. Especially if the engines have been trouble free up to the point of the gas fill up. More than just a coincidence.

However, you or your employees made the decision to take his word on it and drive them. Could be a toss up...........

Old 03-04-2005, 11:41 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fedextech
for that ratio, 8 gallons of gas/32 gals of diesel, you could add 2 qts of atf to the tank and you should be ok.
First off NEVER put atf in your tanks. very acidic, full of zinc and other heavy metals, not good on injectors, I have a link if anyone is interested. diesel has been low sulfer for as long as the PSD has been out so the lack of lubrication isn't an issue if thats the reason your using atf as an addative.

I agree with everyone else. drain the tanks and lines. if the trucks haven't been run then you will be in great shape. but I would definetly dump all the fuel out of the truck.

Diesel Rod

Old 03-05-2005, 08:45 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey 444 read his last post both trucks lost the injectors.

Quick Reply: Gasoline in Deisel engine