6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How should I go about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Emil
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How should I go about this?

About a month ago I posted about my daughters problems with her '04 F-350 6.0. In summary she had problems where it kept slowing down till it stopped and stranded her on the roadside. Things like this happen and I place no blame on anyone for that. It was towed to a local dealer, they found nothing wrong with it and speculated it was fuel gelling. Less than a week later she confidently went on a 1000 mile trip. She got about 2 hours from her destination where it broke down again in the exact same manner. I feel the vehicle still had the problem (obviously) and the dealer did not diagnose with due dilegence which put her is a very compromising and dangerous position being broken down on the side of the road.

Financially she lost the income for that job because of various reasons related to her not being able to transport a horse at that particular time. She then lost income for another job she had scheduled when she got back because she was delayed for 3 days. Finally she had to stay over the weekend in a hotel before a dealer could fix it because it was a diesel so she incurred hotel & unexpected food bills.

She wrote the ordeal up with bills and took it to the initial servicing dealer. It seems that there is a delay going on here. They assured me this a rare occurrence and they are trying to figure out a way to handle it. They talked to the traveling rep last week and he didn't know how to handle it, he'll check into it. There was going to be a regional meeting today where they were going to bring it up. They also mentioned that we should talk to the dealer we bought it from but they pointed us back to the servicing dealer.

First of all are we off base here? I feel that the vehicle was not diagnosed properly. The repair was to replace two injectors. Could they fail to the point of shutting down the engine, then in a few days show no problems, then in a few days fail in the same manner, and then again in a few days be diagnosed properly? I suspect the initial servicing dealer did not use all the dignostic capabilities available.

Has anyone had an experience in this? I'd just like to know who to talk to at Ford to get a fair handling of this whole unnecessary ordeal.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2005, 09:22 PM
duMAURIER
Junior User
I do not know not if this will help but try going directly to FMC in the U.S. Call them and explain the situation and how you would like it resolved. If it's anything like in Canada they will not do anything except get in contact with your service dealership. At this point at least your problem will be recorded in their records. I could easily be wrong (haven't looked at my warranty info for a while) but some expences should be paid by FMC. Hope you have success in at least regaining some of the cost. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

Last edited by duMAURIER; 03-02-2005 at 09:27 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know about their $$$ / expense policies but I don't think any of the mfg's are quick to pick up expenses although I have read of some postive incidents regarding just that. Nothing ventured... as they say.

Others here should have more to offer and many things could 'cause your daughter's issuea. At first blush, judging by your symptoms, I would look for wire chaffing and / or oil overfill.

It will require on site diagnostics if it gets into the EGR valve, EBP sensors etc.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:37 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
I wonder if it's the FICM causing all the grief? There is a TSB on it. Did they replace that when they replaced the injectors?

Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 PM
Emil
Junior User
All they did was replace the injectors, it's been good since. When it warms up a bit I will carefully inspect the harness also.
I was mainly wondering about who to talk to or contact at Ford to get this resolved.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:16 PM
dogdude2003
Senior User
The FICM is the injector controller unit and they have been going bad. That's why they have a TSB on it. They are supposed to replace it when they replace the injectors...and possibly replace the turbo if there are indications per the TSB...depending on what happened with your injectors.