2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The truck I "looked at" today..........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The truck I "looked at" today..........

I have to admit that despite the @#*&@# auto. trans. I still like it. It's a new 05 regular cab with the heavy payload package, plow package and pretty much no other "extras". BUT, even though there weren't many additions, things like A.C. were part of the so-called "no charge" group so that it is still pretty nicely equipped. Does a sticker price of $28,770.00 sound about right?

The funny (or not so funny) thing was that when the salesman came out I said "I sure would like this truck with a stick". His reply was "we can always do a dealer swap or order one!" I asked if he was sure and he said "come on in and we'll find out". He seemed a little surprised himself that it wasn't available with a manual.

He then went on to tell me how happy I'd be with an auto and that "everyone wants one, blah, blah, blah". He told me to take it up the road, but I was afraid that I'd be hooked, lol.

Anyways, things I noticed were that even with the plow package the truck was nose down. I also noticed that the bed looked every bit as deep as my super duty. Basically, the truck (despite the auto) looked like it was ready to work. Another thing I noticed that besides that truck only one other was a regular cab and it was some sort of all red sport truck. Hopefully the reg cab, 8 ft bed isn't going the way of the manual transmission.

Getting back to the suspension, does anyone know how much, if any, the heavy payload package truck sits than one without it? If I get one it will be heavily loaded at least three times a week.

Damn, the more I think about this truck the more I want to own it.

Old 03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
If this "salesman" thinks he can get you a manual with a HD package, he is in for a real shock. HD package requires the 5.4L V8, which requires an automatic. Go to fordvehicles.com and do a build. It will only allow 5.4 with HD.
As far as sitting nose down. They all do this.

Last edited by kingfish51; 03-02-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by kingfish51
If this "salesman" thinks he can get you a manual with a HD package, he is in for a real shock. HD package requires the 5.4L V8, which requires an automatic. Go to fordvehicles.com and do a build. It will only allow 5.4 with HD.
As far as sitting nose down. They all do this.
Yeah, he admited that it wasn't available when he looked through his book . He seemed surprised and a little embarassed that he didn't know. He did say that it's available with a 2wd but I don't think that's right either.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sean02SD
I have to admit that despite the @#*&@# auto. trans. I still like it. It's a new 05 regular cab with the heavy payload package, plow package and pretty much no other "extras". BUT, even though there weren't many additions, things like A.C. were part of the so-called "no charge" group so that it is still pretty nicely equipped. Does a sticker price of $28,770.00 sound about right?

The funny (or not so funny) thing was that when the salesman came out I said "I sure would like this truck with a stick". His reply was "we can always do a dealer swap or order one!" I asked if he was sure and he said "come on in and we'll find out". He seemed a little surprised himself that it wasn't available with a manual.

He then went on to tell me how happy I'd be with an auto and that "everyone wants one, blah, blah, blah". He told me to take it up the road, but I was afraid that I'd be hooked, lol.

Anyways, things I noticed were that even with the plow package the truck was nose down. I also noticed that the bed looked every bit as deep as my super duty. Basically, the truck (despite the auto) looked like it was ready to work. Another thing I noticed that besides that truck only one other was a regular cab and it was some sort of all red sport truck. Hopefully the reg cab, 8 ft bed isn't going the way of the manual transmission.

Getting back to the suspension, does anyone know how much, if any, the heavy payload package truck sits than one without it? If I get one it will be heavily loaded at least three times a week.

Damn, the more I think about this truck the more I want to own it.
I'd cool my jets if I were you. First of all, if he gets it somewhere else (a dubious proposition), you will lose the hold-back. The original dealer retains that. Secondly, why on earth would you want it with a stick shift?

I don't know about the prices. I've seen them advertised here for less than $15K for the work truck. An STX is not that much more. You wouldn't believe what I got mine for. In fact, I don't believe it.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Missouri Mule
I'd cool my jets if I were you. First of all, if he gets it somewhere else (a dubious proposition), you will lose the hold-back. The original dealer retains that. Secondly, why on earth would you want it with a stick shift?

I don't know about the prices. I've seen them advertised here for less than $15K for the work truck. An STX is not that much more. You wouldn't believe what I got mine for. In fact, I don't believe it.
Less than $15K?? For a 4x4?? Where is that cuz I'm heading there!

Old 03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Okay, just what are you looking at? XL, XLT, 6.5' or 8' bed? $28,770 seems real high for a base model truck, even if it's a 4X4.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
Less than $15K?? For a 4x4?? Where is that cuz I'm heading there!
No, it's not a 4x4. Is that what you are needing? I guess I missed that part of your post. But if you are interested, I'm sure I could find you a price more to your liking. This is "truck country" where I live and if you can't find something to your liking here, then it ain't anywhere to be found. Probably 2 of 3 vehicles in Texas are pickups or SUVs.

In any event, the best possible time to purchase a vehicle is at the end of the month and on a rainy or snowy day. The salesmen are out to meet their quotas and the dealers get extra incentives so they might cut you a deal even at a loss to get over the goal line. These are not always published. I'm still astonished at the deal I got and I've bought over 53 cars, trucks and motorcycles in my life. Best deal I have ever made. And I never had to do any horse trading either, although I did have them pull off a set of Michelins from another truck to replace the crap tires that were on it. But other than that I always let the dealers negotiate with themselves.

Send me a PM if you want the name of the dealer here. The salesman really likes me. He's a good guy and he'll treat you right.

P.S. Let me give you some good advice. You have the new car fever. Get over it or you will regret your purchase. You are in the driver's seat right now if you play your cards right. I love to car/truck shop but I never get excited. I usually forget I've bought a new car or truck about 10 minutes after I have arrived back home although I do go to the garage occasionally to smell the interior. Do your homework and get exactly what you want at the price you want to pay.

Last edited by Missouri Mule; 03-02-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I just did a quick check at "carsdirect" here is their info and price. I am in no way affiliated with them, I just knew I could run the numbers there.

2005 Ford F-150 4x4 Regular Cab Styleside 8 ft. box 145 in. WB XL

5.4L
Auto Trans
HD Package
Tow Package

MSRP $29,025
Invoice $25,778
Carsdirect price $23,378 w/$2,500 rebate

Good luck with your search. Go to the dealer armed with information. Notice the above quote is $100 over invoice.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
Originally Posted by ATCS2004
I just did a quick check at "carsdirect" here is their info and price. I am in no way affiliated with them, I just knew I could run the numbers there.

5.4L
Auto Trans
HD Package
Tow Package

MSRP $29,025
Invoice $25,778

Good luck with your search. Go to the dealer armed with information. Notice the above quote is $100 over invoice.
A $100 over invoice would normally be a good deal. However, there are also hidden incentives and they can and have been known to go into the hold-back (3%) but this has to be with vehicles in stock. Can't get from another dealer. Buying at the end of the month or in inclement weather is often the key for the best deal.

One time I e-mailed 60 dealers within a 200 mile radius and gave them only my fax #. No hassle and I got the best deal possible complete with invoice documents and all the rest. You can totally avoid the high-pressure sales tactics. The younger buyers are the ones who are really chickens to be plucked clean since they haven't been through this drill before in many cases. And then throw in the smarmy finance shennanigans and next step is the bankruptcy court and repossessions.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Be careful with regional pricing

Missouri Mule/ Sean02SD. Word of caution- some trucks are priced regionally, and sticker prices can vary, the same way rebates do. Sometimes they can vary a lot. Problem is, the whole pricing structure is dictated by the zip code of the buyer, not the seller. Example, a Ranger is about $1200 cheaper in the Pacific Nwst than it is elsewhere- on MSRP. But if that truck gets sold to a customer in Texas, it'll get re-invoiced at the Texas pricing. Ask me how I know this.

re: Dealer Trades. Both dealers retain holdback on the units they let go, so it's a wash. The only extra cost would be physically getting the rig.

Last edited by polarbear; 03-02-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
Missouri Mule/ Sean02SD. Word of caution- some trucks are priced regionally, and sticker prices can vary, the same way rebates do. Sometimes they can vary a lot. Problem is, the whole pricing structure is dictated by the zip code of the buyer, not the seller. Example, a Ranger is about $1200 cheaper in the Pacific Nwst than it is elsewhere- on MSRP. But if that truck gets sold to a customer in Texas, it'll get re-invoiced at the Texas pricing. Ask me how I know this.

re: Dealer Trades. Both dealers retain holdback on the units they let go, so it's a wash. The only extra cost would be physically getting the rig.
You're right about the regional pricing but no one is prohibited from going to get it in another state or region. (But I'm going to do some further investigation on this tomorrow) And the hold-back is gone from that particular vehicle as it is retained by the original dealer. The one given to the other dealer would come back to the local dealer when the other dealer sells the truck but the local buyer is not going to get any cut of the hold-back of the one brought in. Dealers don't even like to talk about hold-back but its there nonetheless. This doesn't even get into promotional deals that no one knows about. That's why the end of month deals are so advantageous to the buyer. The dealer might actually win by "losing."

Last edited by Missouri Mule; 03-02-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by ATCS2004

5.4L
Auto Trans
HD Package
Tow Package

MSRP $29,025
Invoice $25,778

The truck I looked at was this same truck. It had AC as standard equipment, I believe, which is nice.

So was a $28,770.00 sticker price in the ballpark?

Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Sean02SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear

I'm in northern New England so a trip to Missouri would probably be out unless I can crash at Mr. and Mrs. Mules house for a few days

Old 03-02-2005, 07:49 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
You're right about the regional pricing but no one is prohibited from going to get it in another state or region. (But I'm going to do some further investigation on this tomorrow)
The unit gets re-invoiced at the pricing level of the home region of the buyer. They're not prohibited from buying it, but they lose the preferential pricing, if any.
And the hold-back is gone from that particular vehicle as it is retained by the original dealer. The one given to the other dealer would come back to the local dealer when the other dealer sells the truck but the local buyer is not going to get any cut of the hold-back of the one brought in. Dealers don't even like to talk about hold-back but its there nonetheless.
This dealer doesn't mind talking about holdback. If I trade my truck to another dealer for theirs, we both keep our respective holdbacks. The holdback on our unit traded gets flopped onto the incoming unit internally. It really is a wash. Net pricing to the buyer shouldn't be affected at all.

This doesn't even get into promotional deals that no one knows about. That's why the end of month deals are so advantageous to the buyer. The dealer might actually win by "losing."
Generally true, unless one of two circumstances hit:
1) The dealership hits their objective early. or
2) The dealership has no hope of hitting their objective (lot of dealerships hit that wall last month), and decide to say "the heck with it" and save inventory for the next program.

The big win for the customer is if the dealer is close to the objective, and the extra unit or two would qualify. Unfortunately, it's next to impossible to know where the dealer stands.

The Northwest Chapter of FTE
we don't get lost,
we just get found

Last edited by polarbear; 03-02-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
The truck I looked at was this same truck. It had AC as standard equipment, I believe, which is nice.

So was a $28,770.00 sticker price in the ballpark?
The truck I priced for you has AC.

I'm not sure what you are asking. When you say sticker, I'm assuming you mean MSRP? You surely shouldn't pay $28,770 for this truck. You should pay approx. $23,378 after the $2,500 rebate. Stick to your guns.

BTW - I paid $29,530 for my 2004 4X2 Lariat SCREW back in Nov 2003 it has all the bells and whistles. The only rebate available was a $750 Military. MSRP was $35K. That being said, hold the dealers feet to the fire and get a much lower price than $28,770. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: The truck I "looked at" today..........