computer chips

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:04 PM
lkh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
computer chips

Hello,

I have a 2002 7.3L diesel F-350 crew cab dually. I use it to ship horses in my horse training business. I would like to improve the fuel mileage. I currently get about 9 miles/gallon pulling a 17' gooseneck trailer with 1-4 horses in it. 99% of the time I am pulling the trailer so I don't know what the mileage is without it. I have heard something about getting a chip put in to improve mileage. However, I don't know a thing about those or other options that might be available. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LKH

Old 02-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Rowdyone
Senior User
I would like to welcome you to the forum here, I see its your first post and all. I figure you will have plenty help here with the PSD too LOL. This is a really cool place for info.

If was mine I would get ride of the cat and muffler first and then get you a better Downpipe and bigger straight 4" exhaust straight out and behind the rear tire where its at now. That alone will help a lot and also open up the motor for the chip and any other mods you want to do.

Guages are nice too, so as to see what is going on with the motor. Doing mods its best to be able to keep an eye on things like EGT's and boost pressure.

Then a improved air filter system would be another area next and before the chip also, this too sets things up right for the motor once the chip has been put in. Just my thoughts on this anyway, again welcome to the site here too...

Old 02-28-2005, 05:05 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Rowdyone is right. If you want to see really great results with your chip then installing gauges,a full exhaust system, and/or an intake would be smart. Then, f I were you I would check www.hypertech.com to see what they have...most of their modules are pretty easy to use and are "plug in and play" pretty much...you get more horsepower, no towing restrictions, lower egts, and better fuel economy
Good luck with your decisions.

Last edited by edub32; 02-28-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For towing - like the other guys have said - you GOTTA have an intake, exhaust, and pyrometer at the the very least before you get a chip or tuner. AND be aware that you might not really gain any milage - some do, and some lose a little. It all depends on your right foot usage. With all the stuff I have done to my truck - I got .5 MPG better on the family vacation trip last year than I did the first year when the truck was bone stock. BUT - even if your milage stays the same - you've got way more power to spare for towing a trailer!!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:25 PM
shawnsam
New User
I would also check out the superchips 1705 programmer. It is easy to use, has a tow safe setting, and can do diagnostics. I tow 10-12k pounds in the mountains down south, and really like the s/c. I agree with everyone else about the intake/exhaust. I installed the programmer first, with just a K&N filter in the stock air box. I did'nt utilize the programmers full potential until I installed the cold air intake (BD) and th Banks 4" stainless monster exhaust. That is when I saw the mileage gains. 2-3 empty, 1 or so loaded. Just my two cents. I do know one thing, once you do some mods, you can't live with out them.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:35 PM
lkh
New User
Thanks for the suggestions. Forgive my ignorance, but some of the terms are foreign to me. i.e. pyrometer, full exhaust system, downpipe. The extent of my truck knowledge is calling the mechanic for help. You know how we woman are. We just want to get in the vehicle and drive. However, I can change my own flat tires. Can someone give me a fairly specific plan for where I should start and the steps that should follow. I understand that the intake/exhaust systems should be improved before adding a chip. I just don't know exactly where to start. I don't want to walk into some retail business and have the salesman sell me stuff I don't need.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
A pyrometer is must for towing with a chip. Basically a temp. gauge in your exhuast. More fuel(chip) means more heat. So thats got to be monitored I would get the gauges, proably a pyro, turbo boost and a tranny temp gauge if your running a auto. Then get a 4" exhaust, a quality intake. Then add a chip or tuner. With those in place your rig is alot safer and more capable of getting better fuel mileage. If you can keep your foot out of all that new power!

Old 03-01-2005, 10:51 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Check out this wonderfull site.

www.motorhaven.com

Tuners, guages, and exhaust setups are all available....and it helps to keep this site running.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
shawnsam
New User
Most chips do basically the same thing. The only thing you are buying are the options. Some are adjustable, some are just chips that plug in. Some are programmers that you can control how the changes are made. I just ordered the edge juice with attitude. It is adjustable from 0 to 75 hp. Adjustments are made from the monitor mounted on the dash. I got it because I needed the gauges, and they are integrated in the monitor along with warnings when the exhaust gas temps or boost are to high. If you talk to a dealer that sells more than one brand of eqipment you will usually get a more honest opinion on what works better for your application. None of it is cheap though.