6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tuners - TV Commercial "New Language"??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Tuners - TV Commercial "New Language"??

Was watching "Spike TV" earlier today and saw a commercial for Crane Cam Tuners (jujst like any other brand of tuner - more or less for the sake of this post).

Their statement was "out tuner will enahnce and bring out the performance of aftermarket performance products... and enable you to enjoy the benefits of performance modifications..."

What was interesting was their language (not sure if new or not) was that their tuner is to be used with "other performance enhancing parts" to bring out the potential... but not to bu used alone and possibly due damage to a stock motor (as I understand their carefully chosen words).

We all know that tuners and chips redo the timing, fuel supply and many other characteristics of our motors, but some of the parts may not be able to handle the new found power since they were not built or designed to???

One has to ask, has any of the chip companies or tuner companies ever gone to court or posted a "we beat Ford, Dodge or GM" since they voided a warranty and should not have??? They all say they will work with you, but I have personally never heard or read a "true and reliable story" that they have.

More and more, I am a believer that if one uses a tuner/chip, intakes and modified exhausts, that you are playing with a highly computerized and technically advanced system and you better be prepared to pay the ultimate price if Ford (with their deep pockets) wants to fight you on a claim.

If we all want or need more power, buy a bigger truck, if we want sports car performance, buy a sports car... if you want to go +70mph uphill with 12,000lbs behind you, buy a commercial truck hauler that some use for motor homes and the like.

Me, I am just happy with my stock 2003, 6.0L Excursion LTD 4X4. The stock airfilter is the best made and provides for adequate performance for which it was designed to to.

Again, the post was about tuners and the change in their language when advertising... curious if other will follow suit??

Old quote you will read in the PowerStroke registry magazine an on this forum... "If you play... you better be prepared to pay!!!!"

Have a nice day,

Jeff

Old 03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Surprised no one replied or maybe heard the same thing....

Can you hear me now????

Old 03-03-2005, 09:27 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you TRYING to start a fight there BB ?
second post with a little harder hit

Old 03-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
You know VIC, you have a way of really "pushing the envelope" with your posts and getting under my skin (and others from time to time) - just not surer why or how you do it???

[B]YOUR FIRST MISTAKE:[/B]
My original post above was about their commercial, not a TV show - note the underlined section of my first post.

Was watching "Spike TV" earlier today and saw a commercial for Crane Cam Tuners (jujst like any other brand of tuner - more or less for the sake of this post).

Their statement was "out tuner will enahnce and bring out the performance of aftermarket performance products... and enable you to enjoy the benefits of performance modifications..."

[B]SECOND "QUESTIONABLE" ISSUE:[/B]
The air filter is one of the best for this truck and offers suburb filtration. Other filters may offer reduced air constriction (better flow), but overall, this filter meets 90% of our needs for this truck. I have not seen a side-by-side numbers comparison of two equal trucks (or the same) with the only mod being the air-filter (have you)?

Donaldson makes a very good filter for this application and many others.

The PowerCore filter meets the need for a compact, high-performance air filtration solution for the Ford truck series. The unmatched advanced PowerCore technology, introduced in 2001 and first used in off-road equipment and heavy-duty truck air intake applications, is an alternative to larger, conventional air filter systems.

"The PowerCore high-density filter media package, smaller size and straight-through air flow design gives Ford Motor Company unbeatable filtration for the increased horsepower of its new F-Series truck," said Marty Barris, director of air filtration, Donaldson Company. "Superior PowerCore filtration in a smaller package delivers size-reduction options that other filtration technologies can't offer."

Compared to other filtration technologies, PowerCore is noticeably different in shape, color and style. Available in round and racetrack shapes, its compact, metal-free, cartridge-style design traps contaminants inside the structure for easier and cleaner servicing. The PowerCore straight-through airflow and high-density filtration system reduces system restriction and extends filter life, reducing overall maintenance costs.

[B]THIRD ISSUE[/B]:
Personally, I am happy with my truck and have no problems with others moding theirs or adding tuners & chips. Obviously, you work at Super Chips and there is no way that when you "adjust" timing, fuel, compression, mixture and 100 other or so parameters that your messing with the Ford way of doing it!!! Like I said, people are free to do what they want, but my original post was about the commercials careful use of their statements and how they are better protecting themselves (do you not agree)? The days of saying buy and use a chip or tuner and enjoy extra horsepower and not to worry about your warrenty are quickly coming to an end in my opinion.

Personally, VIC, I am not going to debate you and really wish you wouldn't even reply to my post. You totally missed the point of my first post and went off on your soap box (again).

Hey, live free, live fast, drink expensive booze and have plenty of women to go out with - I am a Conservative Republican and believe in free choice... just re-read my first post carefully, and you'll see that you went off topic.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 03-04-2005, 12:20 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Again, the post was about tuners and the change in their language when advertising
Actually, I for one Jeff, noticed immediately how carefully you chose your words. Don't understand how it could be misinterpreted.

If we all want or need more power, buy a bigger truck, if we want sports car performance, buy a sports car... if you want to go +70mph uphill with 12,000lbs behind you, buy a commercial truck hauler that some use for motor homes and the like.

As you are aware, this is not the American way. Products don't get better by leaving them alone...especially in the automotive world.

Since the very begining, probably unlike any other product, the automobile has advanced thru the tinkering of the end user. Us. The buyers and drivers.

Yes, tech gurus in Detroit and Japan have had their impact but many an innovation began under the 'ol shade tree. Just trying to make the damn thing go a little faster than your buddies. Or...just trying to get to work one day at a time before she blows again.

The mfgs can and will deny warranties all day long because of mods. But the mods of today always have been and always will be the mfg design feature of the future.

Jeff, I understand your positiion on mods and in principle I agree. If you break it...you bought it. And your message of If you mod...don't complain about it if you get "warranty denied". It is a pure simple message that you present nearly as often as I present the the falling EGR valve issue. Which I believe you and I disagree on.

The only problem I have with mod related warranty denials is Ford's blanket statements. You got it...warranty not valid. Then they walk away.

If they are going to deny claims based on a mod then they should have to prove that the mod truely caused the failure. Present evidence and / or a written explanation.

I haven't heard of Ford or any of the big guys doing this yet. Not saying they haven't...just haven't heard it.

BTW...sorry for the spelling..it is late and we just returned from a Larry the Cable Guy concert. If that don't rune yer spelin' nottin will.

And If you don't think that's funny...den you just ain't right. Gitt'er did!!!

Old 03-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey , I'll hop in and give my opinion on how I see what is going on here.

It appears that Vic misunderstood our friend Jeff completely.

Jeff was trying to say in his eloquent way that he thought the TV Advertising by Crane was a different approach to the normal proceedure by Jett, Diablo Bully Dog and some of the lesser well known chips and tuners.

Which tuner do you sell Vic?

It appears that Crane has developed a tuner radical enough that they only recommend it to be installed in conjunction with additional mods like camshaft, larger injectors, larger throttle body and mass air, and aftermarket exhaust.

Jeff wondered if ford would be any quicker than normal to deny warranty claims on a broken engine found with a Crane Tuner.

Jeff does some furthur comparason of the dubious value of aftermarket mods as he is a charter member of the VAST MAJORITY Club that prefers their trucks stock. Since he is a member of the portion of the truck owners (90%) that believe we are wasting our money, increasing the danger on the roads(probably right) and defrauding Ford every time we blow our engines up and try to hide our Vic written program tune.

Vick, if you will sober up and reread Jeffs post, you will realize that Jeff didn't threaten your manhood. He didn't offer to seduce your boyfirend, or girlfriend. Didn't say anything about the particular brand of junk you peddle. You might if sober realize that this is a Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forum. If you want to brag about the work you did on someone's Cobra, take it to a forum that cares about Cobras. Otherwise I thought that last year you had agreed to limit your posts to the commercial thread the webmaster was gracious enough to allow you.

Keith, how much beer did they serve at the Larry the Cable Guy concert? It must have been fun.

Last edited by Choctaw Bob; 03-04-2005 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
It appears that Crane has developed a tuner radical enough that they only recommend it to be installed in conjunction with additional mods like camshaft, larger injectors, larger throttle body and mass air, and aftermarket exhaust.

Jeff wondered if ford would be any quicker than normal to deny warranty claims on a broken engine found with a Crane Tuner.
Gotcha.

Jeff, as for your "getting under your skin" comment...
I'll take a look at what I post and try to see it from others point of view.
Occasionally, I'll come across sarcastic/condascending when I'm not trying to be. I take your comment seriously.

Now that I fully understand what you are saying (probably because I didn't slow down when I read it), I can respond properly.

There are a number of tuning manufacturers that support or are going to support modified vehicles with their off the shelf products.
An example is the TST box (Dodge):
It has power levels to support stock trucks and power levels that should not be used AT ALL unless the truck has extensive fuel upgrades and an exhaust that can breathe.

This is a good thing, but gives the consumer a HUGE responsibility to monitor all activity.
There is a Dodge inline device that reaches 1800 degrees EGT on one of the "safe" settings.
1800!

In ragards to warranty, it's as Jeff said:
Accept responsibility for your modifications.
There is a threshold where warranty gets "iffy", and this is going to vary by dealer.

Last edited by Vic_Ferrari; 03-04-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Good save, Vic!
We all occasionally go off half cocked and can be insensitive. (I fit this category 2-3 times a week.
I don't know about the rest but I appreciate your effort to work through this.
Thanks
Bob

Old 03-04-2005, 07:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts
Thank you Vic...now let's move on!

Old 03-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Choctaw Bob
Good save, Vic!
We all occasionally go off half cocked and can be insensitive. (I fit this category 2-3 times a week.
I don't know about the rest but I appreciate your effort to work through this.
Thanks
Bob
I am here to have a good time and help others....not to make people angry.

Old 03-04-2005, 07:28 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Thanks VIC...

Now back to my original post about the Crane commercial.... has any other tuner or chip company modified, added or backed-off the way they promote and advertise their products?

Crane's carefully chosen words would imply that something has happened or is changing in the aftermarket mod business???

Again, does anyone have any documented proof where a chip or tuner company stood up for a user that modded their truck (they all say they do) and we here uf Ford making blanket warranty denials... so where is the proof they stand behind the user?

That is my multi-part question in a nut-shell

Don't get me wrong, I spent a lot of money on the truck and diesel fuel is higher then ever... and I just can't bring myself to "pay if I play"... my wife is already on my case for buying a diesel with prices so high and that I am changing oil very 5,000 miles and not 7,500 or more (now you know the real pressure I am under!!!!).

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Thanks VIC...
Several tuner companies have stood up for their customers in situations like this on more than a couple occasions.
It all depends on the customers documentation, etc...
Unfortunately, I could not supply any documents becuase they are considered highly proprietary (particularly to protect the consumer).

With just a simple programer, you are pretty safe.
You seem to be cost conscience, so you are probably a "saine" driver =o)

Last edited by IB Tim; 03-04-2005 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Adj quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Thank you Vic...now let's move on!
Yes Daddy.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 AM
dogdude2003
Senior User
Jeff...just do it. Modify the truck already...we all know you want to. LOL

Old 03-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Hey VIC,

I know you work for Superchips, but have you read the thread tonight about the guy with a Banks 6-Gun and his motor blew?

This is my main concern with tuners & chips for the 6.0L motor. How come his comments about his "issue" is Banks says Ford and Ford says banks???

I know you do not have the answer, but this is typical of 2 different companies leaving the customer in the middle and neither has any care in the world to resolve it... hence the customer really suffers.

Since you work for or sell Superchips, what is the "procedure for filing a claim"... is there form to start the process if a SC chip or tuner cuases a problem? At what point does SC get involved?

I am fully aware the thread is about the Bank's 6-Gun, but it's a common issue and concern for some of us. Basically, I am asking what will YOU do for me if I buy a Superchip and I have problems (fair question to ask).

Thanks,

Jeff

Quick Reply: Tuners - TV Commercial "New Language"??