1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F6 Pics...is it doable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:49 PM
cdr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'51 F6 Pics...is it doable?

Some of you may remember I posted this thread ( t=331605 note since I still have less than 25 I cant post a link) about this truck back in december, since then I have been sticking around reading these forums and waiting for a chance to get down the the ranch where the truck has been sitting. I know nothing of the truck but here are 15 photos that I took of it.

if the first person to read this thread would be so kinda as to pm me or respond so that I can send them the necessary code to post pics I would appreciate that, since I have less than 25posts I am also unable to post pictures, thanks

VIN is: F6R1LB14983 any information of location where I can get some info would be appreciated.

I am wondering how the restoration prospectives of this truck look. As noted in the other thread I have very little mechanical knowledge but do have a decent amount of auto knowledge when it comes to electrical systems and interior work. Money will be an issue, in the original go around I would most likely have $2000 or less.

As can be seen this truck has a monsterous bed and stakes. I would completely chop the stakes and would like to shorten the flatbed if possible. If you look at one of the photos it looks like there is an extension upon the frame, this extension is actually bolted to the frame, is made of wood, and is what the entire bed sits upon. But I would want to do something to cut the size of this beast down as it is simply huge.

Anyways just looking for the thoughts and opinions of yall here on the board.

Thanks

Ryan

Old 02-25-2005, 07:57 PM
cdr
New User
Images are in my gallery here once again sorry but cant post a link.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked at your pics, but I don't know the procedure to post them here either. But anyway, you've got a tall order to do there for what you want to spend. I would try to get it running before you really get into this truck. If the engine is trash, you'll spend most if not all of your $2G on that alone. See if it cranks over first. If so, then look to seeing if there's any coolant in the radiator. You might want to do a compression test first to see what you have. It won't ever start on "0" compression. clean the points, put a battery in and make sure there's oil in the crankcase. You should clean the plugs. If you have a key for the ign, great, if not you can hotwire it from the neg side of the battery (remember it's a 6V positive ground system) to the coil. Have a fire extq. handy and put about an ounce or less of gas down the carb. make sure the choke cable is working and you can move the carb linkage freely. If not, free it up first. Penetrating oil is a good idea to have. I always remove the hood on these as it's easier to work on them without it. Nothing like banging your head on it when she pops back thru the carb! Put it in neutral, and push the starter button. It may take a few times to crank and start. It may not. I'd try to move it out of the field and closer to barn or garage. Easier to work on it with tools, etc.. nearby. If she starts, don't run it for long. This is just a peliminary test to see if it does or not. It won't run but a few seconds on what you pour down the carb. The gas tank is probably gummed up with varnish from old gas. So will the carb. Fuel pump is most likely junk by now. The carb will need a rebuild. But at least you'll see if it has any potential.
Remember, the truck is big, so the brakes shoes and drums, tires are big and expensive. That truck will eat up your budget real fast!

Barry

50 F-1

Old 02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=15082

Anything for a fellow y-blocker -4speed

Old 02-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,164 Posts
If you can get it to run and drive with out alot of $ then you have a chance to make something of it if you can find some more $. You will have to shop around very carefully to find used parts and it helps to have a friend who is very handy and resourcefull with old Fords. With that kind of funds you will have to settle for a running truck as you will not have any money left for a restoration of any kind. Take your time and plan carefully, have a lot of enjoyment and most of all be very kind to your friend.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:27 AM
f4fran
Senior User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mr4speedford
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=15082

Anything for a fellow y-blocker -4speed
I read this reply and thought "way to help out", but then realized '51 F6s only came with flatheads. This truck doesn't have the original engine. I also notice in the engine shot with the firewall, the truck has the controls for a 2 speed rear end, which also appears in the undercarriage shot. Does this work, especially with a non-standard engine? The gear ratio will be either 5.83-8.11 or 6.33-8.81, which fits the truck's 16,000 lb. gvwr

With the truck in the shape it's in, your limit mechanical abilities and only $2k to spend (including the truck??), I don't think you would be able to make it street legal. I would pass on this truck, wait to get more cash or pass it on to a fellow big truck nut.

Fran

Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
VIN F6R1LB14983

F6 = F-600
R = 239 V-8 L-head (flathead). Don't confuse this with the 239 OHV Y-block available in 1954 and later years. These are two completely different engines that just happen to share the same displacement.
1 = 1951
LB = Long Beach Assembly Plant
14983 = Consecutive Unit Number (starts with 10001). Yours was the 4983rd unit scheduled for production.

I just re-read your first post and a lot of the information in there is still applicable. Fran has a point, the Y-block in there isn't original. On the other hand, you'd hardly be the first to have a Y-block transplanted into a 51. I'm assuming the truck is "free" based on your earlier post - except for the cost of getting it off the property and to your residence.

Based on the pictures, I have to say that the truck body looks like it is in better shape than the 56 F-250 I bought for my restoration project. Given your limited budget and experience (no offense), you are not going to be able to do what I'm doing to Earl and rebuild every single subsystem one-by-one. Assuming the first order of business is to get the mechanical systems in shape to drive the vehicle, I'd follow the advice already given and check systems one by one before deciding.

You will need to jack up the rear of the truck so you can turn a wheel to align the gears for shifting and get at the linkages to clean them. From the pictures, it doesn't look like you'll be running into anything if the truck fell off the jack. That is no excuse for us reading about you getting crushed by your truck! Make damn sure you have solid blocking under your jack while lifting and then put HEAVY-DUTY blocking (4x4s, 4x6s) under both sides of the rear axle before you go under there. Make sure you have the front wheels well blocked so the truck can't roll on you. Not much cost for some old timber - you may even find some around the ranch for free.

Engine
Barry really laid out a good plan to check that out. If it runs, change the oil, filter, and coolant - no big expenses there. Put a temporary fuel tank directly on the carb so you can avoid having to deal with the fuel pump rebuild and junk in the lines and tank. I used an empty quart oil bottle and a short length of 45 degree flared brake line - very cheap stuff. You can use standard unleaded gas for the short engine runs for now. Worry about valve seals and leaded gas later on.

Transmission and Rear Axle
As Fran mentioned, make sure the linkages are working for both the transmission and rear axle. Clean, lubricate, and work them until you can get the gears to shift. You might also check the oil in the transmission and rear axle. It would be cheap to change it before trying them out. As the least make sure there is oil in both. You can probably use a standard 80 or 90W gear oil and be just fine for starters.

With the engine cleaned up a bit and ready to run at least for short periods, start it up and try shifting through the gears gently. Work both the transmission and rear axle. You are checking to see if they work at all and if there are horrible noises (grinding or whatever). Take it easy and just make sure there is nothing seriously wrong with either the transmission or rear axle. Remember, you have the rear of the truck off the ground and the tires probably have nice flat spots from sitting for a lot of years, I would be surprised if you didn't feel a lot of vibration from the lopsided tires. You could take them off if you want.

Once you get to this point, you'll have a pretty good idea if the truck can be made roadworthy within your budget. You still have brakes and some other systems to check out, but if the engine, transmission, and rear axle check out, you probably can get it on the road within your budget - at least for short trips. Keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2005, 12:26 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ryan you asked for opinions, here is mine, a few items to ponder.
1. Is a truck of this size REALLY what you want or are you just looking for a project at a reasonable price.
2. Is a truck of this size something you need as a working truck. Or would a pickup be just a good.
3. I believe this truck will still be classified as a commerical vehicle. DMV costs could be high and it could be subject to special fees and inspections.
4. This truck will most likely be a pig on gas given its size and gearing.
5. A brake job alone on it will probably cost a small fortune.

Look at my gallery. I have not brought my F1 up to show standards it still has all the orginal driveline except for disc brakes on the front.I have done all work myself. And I still went through $4,000.00 like it was water
Just my opinion but I would keep looking.
But on the flip side I just caught a shot of the black COE on American Hot Rod and it sure looks good.!!!
Its your call, so whatever you decide to do GOOD LUCK !!

Last edited by 51ford fan; 02-26-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:50 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Another option with the truck is to pull the cab and mount it on an older late model 1 ton dually running gear. It sometimes isn't that hard to find an older decent running tonner that has a beat or wrecked body for less than a thousand bucks. I saw a F5 regular cab done that way a few years back and it look very nice with a flat bed. The COE would be real unique if you could do it. That option would probably give you front disc brakes etc. You might be able to go that route and stay closer to your budget. I have an non running 48 F5 that I have considered doing that with. I'll pull the flatty to save for another future project and junk the original running gear.

Old 02-26-2005, 05:23 PM
scrape
Senior User
in the pics it looks like the turret( roof) is pushed down in the crown area, everything else aside, to pay someone to fix this one item could take a large chunk of your budget, as its one of the main items seen on a vehicle, u can't usually cut corners here, but hey if the trucks free, why not grab it then keep looking for one with a blown motor ( regualar occurance) or dead diff etc, u could make one good truck from the bits.
cya....gary

Old 02-26-2005, 06:04 PM
barry
Postmaster
If you doubt your abilities, and only you know what you can and can't do, I'd try to find a 1/2 F-1 that's running and upgrade from there. You could use parts from the 51 on the smaller truck or keep the big guy for a future project when you feel you're ready to tackle it. I said it before, you'll go thru that money like pouring water down a drain, super fast! Big trucks=big buck parts.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 02-26-2005, 11:59 PM
cdr
New User
Ya I have been putting things in perspective lately, and becoming a little more realistic in my approach. I will remember this truck but I do not think I am going to dive into it headfirst. I think I may keep my eyes pealed for a 1/2 oe 3/4 ton truck.

Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the F-5 stake on ebay currently $610.00 looks pretty good. 4532285324

Old 03-03-2005, 01:29 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Big trucks

Hello,
That truck looks fairly solid but I think you can find one in much better shape. Barn find big trucks are out there. I have seen them in well cared for condition for less than the $2,000 mentioned. In a way they are simpler than the smaller trucks but on the other hand parts are rare and simply finding and mounting tires is a major challenge. I consider the Holy Grail of big trucks to be a fire engine. They can be found and bought cheaply. A few years ago my department sold a pair, a 51 and a 48 for $1200. This was one month after I offered the chief $1,000 for the 51 alone. About a month ago a local department sold their F-6 frontmount for $100 just to make room in their station! This truck had been well maintained and kept indoors it's whole service life. Not only are fire trucks just cool but their pristine cabs, hoods,fuel tanks, doors, ect. can be used on smaller trucks like the F-1. The same goes for well cared for farm trucks.
Have patience, buy what you want. Half the fun of buying an old vehicle is the search. If considering a fire engine check with the firemen in and around your community they may know of something that might interest you.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:33 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a nice '51 Fire Truck on eBay. It was at $500 when I checked last night.

I've always been a big fan of '48-'52 fire trucks, especially the '51/'52 model years. My next project truck will definately be a '51 or '52 fire truck. I agree that they can be bought cheap and have been stored inside most of the time, as well as maintained regularly.

Semi-restored to fully restored fire trucks could also be had a cheap price. There were a few '51-'52s available in the last year that sold between $3500-5000. My biggest obsticle would be figuring out how to get it home as I'd probably have to buy one from a different state.

cdr, if you are in California or close and willing to drive, I know of a decent F5 flatbed truck for sale for $300 in the Bay Area. It has good sheet metal and the body is straight. PM me if you are interested.

Ilya