Sponsored by:

flipping/rotating axles

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:53 AM
warrencowboy05
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flipping/rotating axles

ok, i did a search on this and it didnt seem to work very well for me. i had over 10 pages of stuff come up. like most of my questions...sorry if this is just stupid but i dont see why it wont work.

i totally understand why low pinion axles are bad. so why not just rotate the axle so the pinion would be pointing right at the transfer case? this would help at the u-joints and give you a shorter drive shaft (i think im right about the length). i can see why this would be harder in the front due to the steering components, but can't you just rotate those as well? you could just mount the axles like that and you'd be set to go.

then another idea that i thought would work would be to totally flip the axle. just something simple like that and you've got yourself a high pinion axle! i thought the gearing might be a problem flipped like that but dont they sell gears that rotate the opposite way for people who throw front axles in the rear?

anyways, just my thought on that crap. it probably doesnt work cause ive never seen it before but i dont understand why it doesnt. thanks for the advice guys. and sorry if this question is a waste of space!

adam

Old 02-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your gears will burn up due to lack of lubrication if the entire axle assembly is flipped all the way over.

Also, when rotating the axle upwards you also run into lubrication issues, though this can be compensated by overfilling the axle. Overfill too much and the oil is forced out of the axle's seals. Ivan and Pro both have their fronts rotated to aleviate pinion angle-woes I believe, they just overfill a bit to get the job done.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:24 PM
wick246
Posting Guru
Here is a link to a great page on driveline angles (thanks Torque 1st). http://www.drivetrain.com/driveline_angle_problem.html

It doesn't exactly answer your question but may have some good insight...

Old 02-25-2005, 01:03 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well another issue is you would now be running on the coast side of the gears which would be inherantly weaker and you would definatly have some other issues like vent tubes, brakes (you can't turn them upside down) plus the lubrication issues mentioned by saurin. so since you would have to cut the tubes out, and flip them then reweld them you might as well just rotate slightly to elivate the pinion angle, and not mess with the other issues.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
well another issue is you would now be running on the coast side of the gears
I'm having a hard time picturing all this in my head but I don't think this is correct. Won't your pinion still rotate the same direction if you flip it upside down? Your pumpkin would be on the opposite side and the wheels would want to turn the opposite direction though. We got into all this good stuff when I was researching a mid mount engine.

A big problem with turning the front axle is you'll screw up your caster angle which means scary steering. This is why if you turn the pinion up more than a few degrees you need to turn your knuckles. It's not impossible but it is a lot of work.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, totally wrong, Ivan. Remember the Junkyard Wars where their drag racer was stuck in reverse, so to make up for that, they flipped the axle? Yup. Like that. You'd have to flip it AND get reverse-cut gears.
And we're STILL gonna get a mid-mount engine truck going one of these days...

Old 02-25-2005, 02:29 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
momudder is right when you flip it you also put the ring gear on the opposite side of the pinion so when the pinion spins the same direction the ring gear will turn the oppisite direction.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
wick246
Posting Guru
Warrencowboy, would you remove the axle tubes and just flip the center housing over? Otherwise you would need a Chevy axle to flip over to Ford side.