Sponsored by: DP Tuner

ANOTHER 7.3 problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
cedman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ANOTHER 7.3 problem!

Damn Ford to hell in general and the truck division in particular!

It ran fine all yesterday but wouldn't start this morning just grinds and sputters. Got a tank of new fuel and filter and DieselKleen. Something on the passenger wheel well makes a fluttering/humming sound for a few minutes while the glow plugs cycle. This '99 only has 77k well maintained miles on the clock. There are NO warning lights on the dash. I do not have a code reader so if there are codes that the idiot light does not cover, I'm unaware of them.

I'm ready to kill someone right now; I need to be working on the jobsite... not working on a truck! Any ideas?

Old 02-25-2005, 10:48 AM
jtmerritt
Tuned
What condition are your batteries in? Sounds like they may be the problem.

John

Old 02-25-2005, 11:17 AM
cedman
Senior User
Batteries were fine when I tried to start this morning... spun the motor over easily. 77k and six years.... should still be ok?

Old 02-25-2005, 11:20 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tach showing rpm's when you are trying to start? If not, likely it is the CPS.

I say this not out of personal experience, only because it is a recurring subject in this forum.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
cedman
Senior User
Originally Posted by ckal704
Tach showing rpm's when you are trying to start? If not, likely it is the CPS.

I say this not out of personal experience, only because it is a recurring subject in this forum.
Tach's jumping as she turns over. So it must be something else. Matbe it's just my luck??
CedricR.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Whats the outside temp? The noise may be the glow plug relay.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:27 PM
dannunz
Junior User
possible that you need a new fuel fillter. just a thought. how log have you had the truck. give us some more info as to recent repairs if any.
good luck
gabe

Old 02-25-2005, 07:03 PM
John Kass
New User
Check the oil level in the hpop. Mine did the same thing a while back, the hpop was low as soon as I filled it up the truck started right up. good luck

Old 02-26-2005, 08:51 AM
jtmerritt
Tuned
Search on this site about battery problems. Seems a number of folks have had similar kunds of problems and the results were battery related even though they seemed to spin the motor over. I think you need to do a voltage check while the engine is cranking to see how much voltage drop you get. I know some have provided voltage minimums for proper operation while cranking and trying to start.

John

Old 02-26-2005, 09:34 AM
fordman102
Elder User
I had one of my batteries go bad. Engine spun over fine but there was not enough juice there to start.Finally stuck a battery charger on, started right up. First stop was the battery store. I'm still using the other battery for the winch on my trailer.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:49 PM
cedman
Senior User
Thanks for all the responses guys. I had recently replaced the fuel filter. I musta got some real bad fuel just after. I removed the filter and cleaned it... the fuel in the bowl was BLACK! The batteries that spun the engine over so well were a little down on voltage when checked. So I put them on charge overnight. Truck spun for about 10 seconds before firing up and running fine since then.

I want to apologise to all of you for the outburst in my first post. I'm running tight under a deadline to get this rehab project finished. I have the tenants' deposit in hand, no help and the Section 8 inspection is in 3 weeks. If I fail or have to reschedule the appointment, I have to wait another month to get another one. I'm carrying the mortgage and don't want to make an extra payment out of pocket. It doesn't help that I have a torn muscle and ligament in my right arm. I'm right handed; makes holding a nail gun, paint roller or even my thermos problematic. The pain medicine makes me fuzzy and who wants to run a saw while doped up? It doesn't help that much anyway. I CAN get the work done in time but I have NO time for any problems of any kind.

I know that none of this is any type of excuse and I want all of you guys to know I'm sorry. It won't happen again!
Thanks, CedricR.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:52 PM
cedman
Senior User
Oh, BTW, what/where is the hpop ? Or do I already know this without knowing I already know this??
CedricR.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:22 PM
RKern
Senior User
Is your truck ESOF? If it is there is a vacum pump on the passenger wheel well area. That pump will run a little while when trucks are first started, kinda sounds like a vibration. When I first heard the noise I thought it was something that made it start, but it turned out it was just my vacum pump. My batteries went out at a 105,000.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:30 PM
cedman
Senior User
Originally Posted by rlkern
Is your truck ESOF? If it is there is a vacum pump on the passenger wheel well area. That pump will run a little while when trucks are first started, kinda sounds like a vibration. When I first heard the noise I thought it was something that made it start, but it turned out it was just my vacum pump. My batteries went out at a 105,000.

ESOF? Not sure, but there is a vacume pump on the pass wheel well.

HPOP? ESOF? I'm feeling like a real dummy now!
CedricR.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM
ReserectedSD
Senior User
They HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) is located directly infront of the fuel filter on the top of the motor.. Infront of I mean inbetween the filter bowl and the fan.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER 7.3 problem!