Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   ANOTHER 7.3 problem! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/348691-another-7-3-problem.html)

cedman 02-25-2005 09:22 AM

ANOTHER 7.3 problem!

Damn Ford to hell in general and the truck division in particular!

It ran fine all yesterday but wouldn't start this morning just grinds and sputters. Got a tank of new fuel and filter and DieselKleen. Something on the passenger wheel well makes a fluttering/humming sound for a few minutes while the glow plugs cycle. This '99 only has 77k well maintained miles on the clock. There are NO warning lights on the dash. I do not have a code reader so if there are codes that the idiot light does not cover, I'm unaware of them.

I'm ready to kill someone right now; I need to be working on the jobsite... not working on a truck! Any ideas? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

jtmerritt 02-25-2005 10:48 AM

What condition are your batteries in? Sounds like they may be the problem.

John

cedman 02-25-2005 11:17 AM

Batteries were fine when I tried to start this morning... spun the motor over easily. 77k and six years.... should still be ok?

ckal704 02-25-2005 11:20 AM

Tach showing rpm's when you are trying to start? If not, likely it is the CPS.

I say this not out of personal experience, only because it is a recurring subject in this forum.

cedman 02-25-2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ckal704
Tach showing rpm's when you are trying to start? If not, likely it is the CPS.

I say this not out of personal experience, only because it is a recurring subject in this forum.

Tach's jumping as she turns over. So it must be something else. Matbe it's just my luck??
CedricR.

mech2161 02-25-2005 03:47 PM

Whats the outside temp? The noise may be the glow plug relay.

dannunz 02-25-2005 04:27 PM

possible that you need a new fuel fillter. just a thought. how log have you had the truck. give us some more info as to recent repairs if any.
good luck
gabe

John Kass 02-25-2005 07:03 PM

Check the oil level in the hpop. Mine did the same thing a while back, the hpop was low as soon as I filled it up the truck started right up. good luck

jtmerritt 02-26-2005 08:51 AM

Search on this site about battery problems. Seems a number of folks have had similar kunds of problems and the results were battery related even though they seemed to spin the motor over. I think you need to do a voltage check while the engine is cranking to see how much voltage drop you get. I know some have provided voltage minimums for proper operation while cranking and trying to start.

John

fordman102 02-26-2005 09:34 AM

I had one of my batteries go bad. Engine spun over fine but there was not enough juice there to start.Finally stuck a battery charger on, started right up. First stop was the battery store. I'm still using the other battery for the winch on my trailer.

cedman 02-28-2005 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had recently replaced the fuel filter. I musta got some real bad fuel just after. I removed the filter and cleaned it... the fuel in the bowl was BLACK! The batteries that spun the engine over so well were a little down on voltage when checked. So I put them on charge overnight. Truck spun for about 10 seconds before firing up and running fine since then.

I want to apologise to all of you for the outburst in my first post. I'm running tight under a deadline to get this rehab project finished. I have the tenants' deposit in hand, no help and the Section 8 inspection is in 3 weeks. If I fail or have to reschedule the appointment, I have to wait another month to get another one. I'm carrying the mortgage and don't want to make an extra payment out of pocket. It doesn't help that I have a torn muscle and ligament in my right arm. I'm right handed; makes holding a nail gun, paint roller or even my thermos problematic. The pain medicine makes me fuzzy and who wants to run a saw while doped up? It doesn't help that much anyway. I CAN get the work done in time but I have NO time for any problems of any kind.

I know that none of this is any type of excuse and I want all of you guys to know I'm sorry. It won't happen again!
Thanks, CedricR.

cedman 02-28-2005 04:52 PM

Oh, BTW, what/where is the hpop ? Or do I already know this without knowing I already know this??
CedricR.

RKern 02-28-2005 05:22 PM

Is your truck ESOF? If it is there is a vacum pump on the passenger wheel well area. That pump will run a little while when trucks are first started, kinda sounds like a vibration. When I first heard the noise I thought it was something that made it start, but it turned out it was just my vacum pump. My batteries went out at a 105,000.

cedman 02-28-2005 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rlkern
Is your truck ESOF? If it is there is a vacum pump on the passenger wheel well area. That pump will run a little while when trucks are first started, kinda sounds like a vibration. When I first heard the noise I thought it was something that made it start, but it turned out it was just my vacum pump. My batteries went out at a 105,000.

ESOF? Not sure, but there is a vacume pump on the pass wheel well.

HPOP? ESOF? I'm feeling like a real dummy now! :-X21
CedricR.

ReserectedSD 02-28-2005 07:08 PM

They HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) is located directly infront of the fuel filter on the top of the motor.. Infront of I mean inbetween the filter bowl and the fan.