2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Power To A 2004 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 09:53 PM
atkalfayan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Power To A 2004 F-150

I was wondering what is the best way to get more power to my truck. Intake,etc.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
I personally haven't done anything in that dept. yet. I will use superchips first and probably exhaust second.From reading a lot of posts, it would seem to me that the tuner is the most bang for the buck.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:46 PM
atkalfayan
New User
I was reading the posts and it seems more risky to buy a chip and have something happen to your engine. Would an intake do just as much as the superchip, or even come close?

Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 AM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
I am not going to take the chance of blowing up my truck with a chip or tuner! just joking, but I still will not fiddle around with the computer. I am going to leave that to Ford, but it seems that even they cant get it right. To each his own, though.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by atkalfayan
I was wondering what is the best way to get more power to my truck. Intake,etc.
How much money you willing to spend?

A Supercharger is the best bang for your buck.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
I was reading the posts and it seems more risky to buy a chip and have something happen to your engine. Would an intake do just as much as the superchip, or even come close?
An argument has been made that intakes damage the MAF sensor.
People also say that a leveling kit can damage CV axles, I installed one anyway and will install Superchips as well(just need to read the posts and see what ones have problems, if any. This is a post I started a while back https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=269253

Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 PM
atkalfayan
New User
Let me know how it goes with the chip in your truck!

Old 02-24-2005, 05:42 AM
MotorPsycho
Senior User
The issue with a tuner is power at a price (premium fuel). Also, problems with loading tunes.

From my experience, I'd start with a cold air intake on the 04 F150. I have no clue where they came up with "dam aging the MAF". Worst case is you get an engine light because the new intake positions the MAF poorly for proper ir flow reading. Actually this is unlikely, as Manufacturers have had time to get the -bug out.

I got both power and mpg out of a Volant.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
Let me know how it goes with the chip in your truck!
Probably won't be till later this year. If you want more info. on it, do a search and you'll find hundreds of people w/ it already
MotorPsycho: I remember reading it a while back w/ the damage caused by the oil that is used on the filter element(I don't know 1st hand)

Old 02-24-2005, 09:45 PM
lifted
New User
Guys airriad had a problem with the mass air sensor but they fixed it i know because i have one,motorpsycho if your ligth come on you will have bad gas mile and other problems with the engine and you have to erase the code.The best power to $ is programer i've had superchip,hypertec and diablo in my truck and go with diablo.All my engine mods are done at ford so if the engine has porblems it's ford that has fixed it.
Hope i helped good luck with the mods.
lifted

Old 02-25-2005, 08:32 AM
thumpmaster
Freshman User
I have a 2004 f-150 FX-4, and I have installed an AEM cold-air intake, Mac side exit exhaust(looks just llike the lightning), and used the Superchip programmer to reprogram to the performance settings. I have very little mechanical knowhow, but did all of the work myself in about 3.5 hours. The upgrades made a HUGE difference. It's like driving a completely different truck. The only problems is that my "emissions control" light stays on. I am going to contact Superchips to see if there is a code or something I can enter to fix that. Other than that, the truck runs fantastic. Of course, It;s no "Lightning", but it can hold it's own.

Last edited by thumpmaster; 02-25-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:42 AM
anthony99
Senior User
Originally Posted by thumpmaster
I have a 2004 f-150 FX-4, and I have installed an AEM cold-air intake, Mac side exit exhaust(looks just llike the lightning), and used the Superchip programmer to reprogram to the performance settings. I have very little mechanical knowhow, but did all of the work myself in about 3.5 hours. The upgrades made a HUGE difference. It's like driving a completely different truck. The only problems is that my "emissions control" light stays on. I am going to contact Superchips to see if there is a code or something I can enter to fix that. Other than that, the truck runs fantastic. Of course, It;s no "Lightning", but it can hold it's own.
thumpmaster, do you have a 4.6L or 5.4L engine?

Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 AM
anthony99
Senior User
Originally Posted by thumpmaster
OK, sorry for asking, I just saw in your public profile that you have a 5.4L.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
thumpmaster
Freshman User
Originally Posted by anthony99
OK, sorry for asking, I just saw in your public profile that you have a 5.4L.
That is correct. Although, I may be volunteering my truck for a special project at a local performance shop. They have a 2003 Vortec V10 that has been seriously modified. It's rated at 545hp and 575lb ft torque. It would take a few drivetrain, transmission, brakes, and suspension mods. All of the labor would be free, and if I decided to keep the motor w/upgrades, I would cost me $3500 with my motor and other parts as a trade. Should I go for it? or NOT?

Last edited by thumpmaster; 02-25-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:55 PM
greenroses
Senior User
thumpmaster,

You only live once. Go for it!

Quick Reply: More Power To A 2004 F-150