1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upfitter Switch Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 07:37 PM
climo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upfitter Switch Help

I have the 4 aux switches in my dash and was looking for some help. I was getting ready to install some o/r lights using the aux switches but somehow I lost power to the whole switch, none of the 4 light up when flipped on.

I checked every fuse related to the upfitter switch but still no luck. They were working ok so maybe I blew a fuse or something. Each sw has its own fuse number and then there is one upfitter control fuse but all fuses are good.

Does anyone know where I might look for the power wire that supplies the aux switches? I know the colors coming from the plug but I don't have the service manual.

I'm really surprised Ford made it tough to connect items to these switches. Upfitter switches are not even covered in my owners manual.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:48 PM
sriddle
Senior User
I too was not happy with no info from Ford on the upfitter switch. I also thought it silly they have a AUX button on the Radio that I assumed would be a cool place to plug into. After I buy I find that it takes a special harness not available yet to do what I thought would be a simple RCA plug.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
What is the OEM ford part number on your upfitter switches?

Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Climo

Open your glove box all the way so it swings down to the floor. Look directly up and remove the cover on the black box. There are some fuses and relays for the upfitter control box there.

In your owners manual is info on exactly what positions the four upfitter fuses have in the Mian Circuit panel fuse block.

Be sure to not have more than 8 amp continous draw on either of the two small upfitter wires and no more than 22 amps continous on either of the two heavy upfitter wires.

Yes they are MAX rated at 10 amps and 30 amps but you need some over head to prevent blowing fuses and relays.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Slipperyrock
Freshman User
What is tough about hooking up to the upfitters? I was told the 4 wires located under the hood by the drivers hinge are the upfitter connection points. Just splice/solder to them and you have power. If the wires I mentioned are the wrong ones I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct me. I have not tried to hook mine up yet. As to why yours aren't working...sorry I can't help you there but something may have shorted out while you were making the connections???

Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 PM
climo
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by Fredvon4
Climo

Open your glove box all the way so it swings down to the floor. Look directly up and remove the cover on the black box. There are some fuses and relays for the upfitter control box there.

In your owners manual is info on exactly what positions the four upfitter fuses have in the Mian Circuit panel fuse block.

Be sure to not have more than 8 amp continous draw on either of the two small upfitter wires and no more than 22 amps continous on either of the two heavy upfitter wires.

Yes they are MAX rated at 10 amps and 30 amps but you need some over head to prevent blowing fuses and relays.
Perfect....exactly what I was looking for. I will check it in the am. Hopefully this will cure my problem. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 PM
jello
Senior User
The wires under the hood are not the upfitter switches.Those wires just go through the firewall.You can connect on either end so you don't have to run your own wires through the firewall for any accessories.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:47 PM
JimRietz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Slipperyrock
What is tough about hooking up to the upfitters? I was told the 4 wires located under the hood by the drivers hinge are the upfitter connection points. Just splice/solder to them and you have power. If the wires I mentioned are the wrong ones I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct me. I have not tried to hook mine up yet. As to why yours aren't working...sorry I can't help you there but something may have shorted out while you were making the connections???
The 4 wires which you mention are only "pass through" wires. They go from one side of the firewall to the other. There are no connections on either end.

For some additional information about the Upfitter switches, check out this thread.

Jim

Old 02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
morcutt
Senior User
Here is the schematic link again, if anyone needs it. I think that it's been posted a few times already.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q117.pdf

Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 PM
Slipperyrock
Freshman User
Thanks, I realize that the wires are not "switches". I was just pointing out that you tap into the circuit under the hood. I hadn't really thought of tapping into the fuse box for stuff that doesn't need to go through the firewall.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Slipperyrock
Freshman User
I started reading the link above...looks like I have a little more wiring to do than I thought. I was wondering why Ford would leave hot wires sitting under the hood un-protected. Thanks guys.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:29 PM
jello
Senior User
Slipperyrock

If we are talking about the same wires under the hood (red,black,blue,white) they are not live.If you look under your dash behind your fuse panel, you will see the same wires not connected to anything.You can use them as a connection through the firewall without running your own wires.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Slipperyrock
Freshman User
Thanks Jello, you saved me some time later on figureing out why my stuff doesn't have any power.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:01 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Also check this out
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=303583

scroll down the page

Old 09-28-2008, 02:00 PM
jtment
New User
In regards to these upfitter switched, I too have had an issue with all four wires being hot. With the engine running and all 4 switches in the on and lit position, there is no power at any of the but ends as described in the manual. Fuses are good including the 1 5 amper behind the glovebox. We decided to just run our own wires by tapping in right behind the upfitter switched. We now have our own switched power but am wondering if this might have created any other problem. Are the wires that are factory run with the blunt ends on the any different than simply running your own?
Thanks, John

Quick Reply: Upfitter Switch Help