2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Work truck option

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:16 AM
JoeKramer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH! I see, I went to there site. I was kind of wondering what that thing was under you cup holder! LOL

Old 03-11-2005, 09:17 AM
shovelshort
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Putting my cameras in this week I had the kickpanel cowl, center piece and radio out. Not hard to do. 8 bolts total. Four on the radio.
Chris
Ok, how'd you get the radio out? What and how do you get the trim pieces off to get to the four radio bolts?

Old 03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search for radio in this forum. Very detailed instructions.
In the simplest terms, though, you pop part way open the ashtray/cupholder, and using your fingers underneath you pry off the black center. The climate control comes with it, as does the lighter and the passenger disarm light. There are eight VERY firm clamps holding it. They loosen up after a few installs. To put the center back on, be sure the white clips are all on the center before you try to install it. Shield the dash on each side with a towel or something. These clips are very sharp. They will scratch anything they can. You can let it hang there, if you have protected the dash. There is enough slack in the cords that you don't need to remove them.
The radio has only four 7 mm bolts holding it on. The harness unclips, and the antenna is easy to remove.

If you want to replace the radio, three choices are easy to find. One adaptor, bought it at Circuit City, has a small pocket below the single din radio. From Crutchfeild on line I have gotten two adaptors, One for a double din radio, or two single din radios. I have a monitor and my Kenwood installed right now. Not as good looking as the single din with small pocket. I also have single din with large pocket under it. Haven't tried it. The small pocket holds about three CD's the large pocket holds four or five.
Smaller pocket one looks better than either of the other two, in my opinion.

The FX4 Ip is the Instrument Panel from an FX4. Easy install, but some report the dealer won't 'turn it on' unless you buy it from them. The FX4 IP is pretty, and has a tach. It also has a small speedo, with center mounted gauges. Looks good, but costs a heck of a lot. Most have about 350-400 invested by the time it's finished. A little steep for a tach. I like the way it looks though.

If you swap IP's on these trucks, everything works, but the chimes and alarms, The Odometer travels with the IP, thus you have to have that adjusted, extra cost. Cost me 140 bucks for one, 85 bucks to have the chimes turned on. 75 bucks to have the odometer matched. Dealers don't usually have the ability to match the Od, so I had to use an aftermarket source.
Then you will find that most of the motors life is under 3k, and the tach spends 99% of it's time in the first quarter...
Scangauge works better, but doesn't look all that cool. I have tried to get the Scangauge people to offer another faceplate, or a RCA out so you could mount it out of site and feed it to a better looking LCD.
They don't reply or answer that kind of question. Too bad, they are loosing profits they should be getting.
Chris

Old 03-11-2005, 09:44 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was out of town on work.

When I say the stx is hard to drive, I guess I am just used to vehicles that have been easier to drive then the STX is. I used to have an expy that was like butter, and my FX4 is no comparison to the STX.

The power difference between the FX4 STX is REALLY noticable to me. Both have the 4x4, same gears, and same body style, so this really is comparing apples to apples. The STX seems to just take more effort to drive because there is no cruise, less power, the 4x4 is on the floor, no power windows, no tach (that I need a tach really) and it honestly seems to ride ALOT rougher down the roads around here. I think this may be because of the different suspension components, but am not 100% sure...

MK