Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Work truck option (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/345370-work-truck-option.html)

shovelshort 02-16-2005 02:28 PM

Work truck option

I'm getting ready to order a new 05 F-150 XL supercrew. I want a no-nonsense 4x4 work truck. I am thinking about getting it with the work truck option because I don't want cloth seats or carpeted flooring. Anyone have this option? How do you like it?

I haven't been able to find a truck at any dealerships with this option to see how it looks/functions. It even seems that the XL's are hard to find other than regular cab.

The only other options I am considering are skid plates, towing package, 5.4 liter engine, 4x4, basic radio, cruise, and the 245 series tires with a 7200 gvw. I don't want the power windows or locks due to past problems with my 97' F-150. I don't want the split rear window either since all it does is blow every piece of dirt from the bed into the cab.

hoff 02-16-2005 02:58 PM

look at the stx model.i just bought one for work its a super cab with no carpet and has the tow package and manual windows and locks.will post some pics in my gallery soon.

shovelshort 02-16-2005 03:59 PM

I actually meant supercab. The STX has the cloth seats. I have read several places here that the cloth seats are hard to clean. I want something I could just wipe the mud off and the leather is not an option.

Bozack 02-16-2005 08:02 PM

Shovelshort I have the truck you mentioned in your 1st posting w/exception to the seats. I do have the cloth seats but added seat covers & love it. I have updated the radio & a few other things but love the fact I don't have to worry about mud in the carpet flooring or on the seats now because all I have to do is take the covers off & throw them in the wash.

I found this truck after looking for an entire day from dealer to dealer in the area & @ the last dealership they had it on their lot. I don't understand spending 30K+ for a vehicle that when you get down to it bolt for bolt I have & paid 19K for it. Sure the others have a bunch of options that the owners of the 30K+ will justify & thats GREAT for them if they think so. That is why they have as many different models avalible w/ even more price brackets to get what "YOU" want....... The 2004 XL SCab 4x4 is all I want & more

Good luck finding the truck you are looking for

HankMurphy 02-16-2005 08:25 PM

Work Truck Option Works For Me...

I bought a 2005 XL with the work truck package on Dec. 26. Mine is a regular cab and is equipped very austerely:
- 4.6L
- Automatic
- Manual A/C
- Towing package
- Work truck package

The work truck package will equip you with vinyl seats - mine is a 40-20-40 and I think that's the stock configuration. I find the seats actually pretty comfortable, with good support when driving canyon roads. The center section is not adjustable, not a big deal as far as I am concerned.

Mine is red - most are white.

...continued due to detected links...

HankMurphy 02-16-2005 08:30 PM

Work Truck Works For Me...part 2

Stuff I've added:

- for some reason this kept causing detected links.

As far as what you are going to be missing - I don't wind down my windows more than 1-2 times a week, so I don't miss the power windows much. Be aware that the 2004-5 window takes eight full rotations to wind completely down.

I also don't miss the power locks too much. One drawback of the Work Truck is that you have to open the door to unlock the passenger side from inside the cab, and it's a stretch to reach over to the passenger side if I forget to lock it before I get out.

...continued due to detected links...

HankMurphy 02-16-2005 08:31 PM

And the third, and final part...

As far as the other accessories - I'm considering getting a sliding window again (had it on my 1992 XLT). Your comment about dust blowing back in was absolutely correct in the past, but the 2004-5 have such a deep bed that the wind effect is changed. You might think about this one and try for a ride in someone's 2004-5 for comparison. I think it's markedly more expensive to add this as an option rather than ordering it.

In addition to the seat/floor/power locks/power windows, the work truck package also has a very drab grille, and dull bumpers. I'm thinking about putting on a king ranch grille just to make it less oppressive. It does not have any place for fog lamps, but they could probably fit in the lower grille area fine.

The other thing which I *really* miss is the tachometer. Why I need one with an automatic is a good question, but I miss it anyway.

So...I think our tastes coincide, although I don't need a 4x4 and the larger engine. Trucks have gotten much fancier - many things which were options on my first new F-150 in 1980 are standard now, like interior map lights and the cargo light. Others are no longer available, like the underhood, glove compartment, and ashtray lights. The work truck package takes me back to when a truck was a truck...not to disparage anyone who gets anything else!

Hank Murphy
2005 F-150 work truck

shovelshort 02-18-2005 12:19 PM

Replies

Hoff - the STX does not come with the 5.4 liter V8

Bozack - you really got the truck for 19k? The best price I have found for a 2005 F-150 Supercab 4x4 with 5.4 liter V8, tow package, work truck group, 3.55 limited slip axle, basic radio, A/C, and speed control is $23,350.79 (before tax and title) and that is supposedly with the friends and family X-plan discount. I didn't get to see the actual invoice since the place is 2 hours away from me.

HankMurphy - in what way is the center section of seat not adjustable? Is it in a fixed position and does not slide with the passenger seat? Doesn't it fold down to be an armrest and back up to be a seat? Can't you unlock the passenger door with the key or go around and open the door to lock it? I would miss the tachometer. My 97 is an auto and I have been able to diagnose idling problems with the tach and when towing something, it is nice to keep track of your RPM's.

riley ruffen 02-18-2005 03:54 PM

i just bought a 2005 scab 4x4 work truck package 4.6, 3:55 gears. its has air auto am fm radio and cloth seats. i pay 20,300 total, then i added cruise for 500 more. it drives just as good as xlt, plus you don't have to worry about getting your carpet dirty, that's one of the best thing about it is the rubber mats easy to take care of and they look good, also i like the manual 4x4 shifter better. no motor to worry about. i really don't like the cup holder placement, but for 5000 dollar difference i take it.

shovelshort 02-18-2005 07:26 PM

price

Where did you buy yours at? Like I said, the best price I have so far is around 23k before taxes. The only difference is I want the 5.4 L which is about a $895 option, but vinyl seats which are about $1000 less.

Anyone else up for giving some prices?

riley ruffen 02-19-2005 08:51 PM

north point ford, little rock, ar that price is before taxes.

shovelshort 02-27-2005 10:37 PM

Ok, I'm an x-planner and the price I got is pretty much non-negotiable at around $25,800. It is a XL supercab 4x4 with work truck group.

So, does anyone have the inside scoop on the change in incentives, rebates, and percentage rates at the first of the month.

I have seen some of the other manufacturers going to 0% for 60 and have read that February was a record low in vehicle sales, so I figure they are going to have to do something to sweeten the deal.

Dunk 02-28-2005 12:08 AM

http://www9.forddirect.fordvehicles....partner=fv&zip=

Start here, option out the vehicle. On the last page you'll see a link to search dealer inventory in your zip code area. You can change the zip code and search any dealer in your state. Invoice prices are right on each truck. Click the incentive button for rebates and specials in your area..

shovelshort 02-28-2005 11:10 AM

Already did all of that. I want to know if the rebates and incentives will get any better at the beginning of the month. The current ones will expire on the 31st.

shovelshort 03-01-2005 09:17 PM

Recently read on consumer reports website that they consider the 4x4 2004's to be unreliable because of warranty issues. Anyone know what these issues were and if Ford took care of this problem for 2005? Has the bed floor rusting problem been taken care of? Should I still worry about something I buy tomorrow?