Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Chrysler 300C vs...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I iagree the terms musclecar and ponycar were from the 60s but the cars that first fit that description were from the 50s (and many were better performers). The 50 Mercury was the most chopped and customized vehicle of the era and there was as reason. The 53-56 Olds 88 was the hot rod of that era and won a bunch of NASCAR races when they were still stock cars. The Studebaker Silver Hawks, Golden Hawks and Gran Turismos (with supercharger) were the first pony cars and performed much better than the Mustang and Camaros of the 60s. The 55-57 Bel-Air coupes were the most sought out cars of their day (and still are to collectors). The 58 Bel-air got oversized but it was the first with a 348 and 3 deuces.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 PM
bluegrasmtns
Freshman User
nobody seems to argue with the fact that Dodge has a history of overhyped junk that has no resale value and will go away within a very few years.

300c might be exciting now, but I don't see anyone getting rid of their camrys and accords to buy one. Dodge is the main reason most people went that direction. Kcar anyone?

Old 02-17-2005, 08:42 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
1.) The Crown Vic has the governments highest safety rating in every category, so the 300C doesn't protect it better. It's probably worst due to the likelyhood of having it stolen.

2.) I don't smoke anything and I'll only ask you one time to never insinuate that again.

3.) I never said that the 300C was a fad.

4.) Like Tmyers said, it was the GTO that ushered in the musclecar era when John DeLorean put a larger engine (389) into the tempest body in 1964 without the consent of GM.
Is that safety rating true? I'm sure a few widows of cops who died in fires from rear collisions could say different. As for the smoking comment, chill out bud, its the internet, not real life. Don't go and e-beat me up.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Max1
Junior User
I've noticed around here more and more police cruisers are dodge intrepids. Anyone else noticed this??

Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We have new Dodge Intrepids here in our Sheriff Dept. Dodge is underselling Ford by a LONG shot on them. And with tight budgets ... you can guess who's going to buy what ... and let's see if they get the miles the Crown Vics have attained over the years. Bets anyone?

Old 02-17-2005, 11:53 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bet on the Crown Vic...The cops here bought a whole fleet of new Intrepids last year...Now they have one out of like 16...The rest are so undependable that it isn't profitable to run them anymore...They usually wait about 4 years before buying new cars for the fleet...This year they replaced EVERY Intrepid except for one with brand new Crown Vics and auctioned off the Dodges...The quality and the ability to take abuse just isn't there in the Dodges...

Last edited by FordLariat; 02-17-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:41 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbluebronco43
Is that safety rating true? I'm sure a few widows of cops who died in fires from rear collisions could say different.
And I'm sure the NHTSA will disagree with them. No car in existence anywhere on the planet can withstand being hit by a vehicle at 80 mph when it is standing still and not have the gas tank rupture. The NHTSA showed that the tank didn't even break at speeds of 50 mph. The departments that sued had their cases ruled that they had no basis because they were demanding a car that did not exist and could not be made. Only 12 officers have died since 83. That's a darn good ratio.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...tos-305582.htm

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...Vic021003.html

http://www.used-police-cars.com/ford...ptor-safe.html

Old 02-18-2005, 01:00 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegrasmtns
I bet Daimler is wishing they could unload this money sucking pit anytime now.
Check your facts. Chrysler is the money maker for Daimler right now.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fordlover55
We have new Dodge Intrepids here in our Sheriff Dept. Dodge is underselling Ford by a LONG shot on them. And with tight budgets ... you can guess who's going to buy what ... and let's see if they get the miles the Crown Vics have attained over the years. Bets anyone?
A big reason why they still sell so well to police departments is that they like the handling of a larger V8 car compared to the smaller V6 Front wheel drive offerings. This is a big reason why the new Impala never really took off either. Dodge is now offering a HEMI powered Magnum Police vehicle with heavy duty suspensions, cooling, and tranny's. I think the Charger may also be offered. I'd like to see how these do with the departments.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:50 AM
FRECSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by bluegrasmtns
nobody seems to argue with the fact that Dodge has a history of overhyped junk that has no resale value and will go away within a very few years.

300c might be exciting now, but I don't see anyone getting rid of their camrys and accords to buy one. Dodge is the main reason most people went that direction. Kcar anyone?
Check your resale values again. Classic Mopars are ones with the most resale value. I have seen them sale for over 2 million dollars.

Also do some research on your statement about "camrys and accords" and tell us who is buying the 300. You maybe surprised.

These statements are not based on facts, they are simply bashing. Again this demostrates the frustration that many have due to the inferior non exciting products from manufactors they are loyal to.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:03 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Okay. I <i>know</i> that Chrysler is now owned by Mercedes. Theoretically, MB's build quality would improve the Chrysler breed. It hasn't affected the trucks yet (sadly), but the fact is that the 300C is more than a little bit Mercedes, where the trucks (up til now, anyway) contain no Mercedes DNA. So, I am hopeful that products like the 300C will show a vast improvement in quality control and reliability compared to past Chrysler products...

That having been said, I have to say the I really like the looks of the 300C - it is beautiful, different, and with just a touch of brutality in the styling. Whereas the Ford Five Hundred is just, well, it is quite attractive, but it is kind of bland. It looks like just another sedan, but the 300C stands out in a crowd.

There is another automotive comparison with similar results - though this one favors the Ford.

Ford redesigned the Mustang, and WOW!! I love it! So does the car buying public. Dealers seem to have trouble keeping them in stock. Good for Ford!!

Pontiac reintroduced the GTO, and it is a very good performer, and great fun to drive (with the 6-speed it is serious fun!!). <i>But it looks like a modified Taurus...</i> As a result, the care buying public has received it with a great big yawn. In fact, you might still find examples of last year's model languishing at some dealer with a fairly deep discount attached to it.

Were I to choose between the 300C and a Five Hundred sedan - well, I'd have to go with the 300C and pray it wasn't typical of past Mopars...

...and if it was, I'd enjoy it for a year or two, then trade it in on something else.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:16 AM
bluegrasmtns
Freshman User
60's Classic MOpars like Roadrunner and Challengers probably do sell well. but for the general buying public you can't honestly say that Kcars, voyagers, Aries, Cirrus, Stratus Volare aspen, and newer cars like intrepids hold resale value, which is to what I am referring.

I have know several people who have been tempted by the deals that dodge makes, only to have it bite them when they go to trade off

Old 02-18-2005, 10:36 AM
bluegrasmtns
Freshman User
Edited by FTE - brand bashing not allowed, please.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Al Bundy
Senior User
Acronyms for FORD

EDITED out brand bashing acronyms.

I can go on, but just trying to prove a point to stop brand bashing. Read the rules man. I read them but posted this to make a point that all makes have their goods and bads.

Last edited by Fordlover55; 02-18-2005 at 09:50 PM. Reason: brand bashing
Old 02-18-2005, 12:01 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FRECSF
Check your resale values again. Classic Mopars are ones with the most resale value. I have seen them sale for over 2 million dollars.
Please don't confuse resale value when it comes to classic cars. It does not apply. Classic are priced based on rarity, documentation and how many people want it. A olds sold for 3.2 mill this year at Barret-Jackson. Why, its a one of. In the case of the high priced mopars they are Hemi Cuda's I think and there are only 4 known to exist. Correct me if I'm wrong on the Cuda part I know the number is correct.

Almost any car that had a limited production run, where only a few exist, is in stock trim and you have all the documentation to prove it is worth lots of cash. It does not mean that a company has good resale value.

A little known fact is there are where 11 super charged Shelby 350's built. Only 2 are known to exist and they are not in running condition. I had a chance at one of these 5 years ago. It was all there but a total basket case. 25k to trailer it home. This car though if properly restored would be worth lots. Every manufacture has cars like this and these cars are the cars that bring the big money. You just need to know what to look for and hope the guy selling it dosen't.

Quick Reply: Chrysler 300C vs...