Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

pressurized pot sandblaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:59 AM
thefirstboz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressurized pot sandblaster

any body here have one? I've read that these are better compared to the siphon type sandblaster....any good or bad experiences with any particular brand? i saw item 155339 at northerntool , but i'm sure harborfreight has one too..

any experiences or comments or warnings welcome.

thanks

brian in NC
94 F150xlt

Old 02-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
I've got the HF one and it works really well. My only advice is to replace the stock ball valves as they erode pretty quickly. I'm probably going to do my cab in the spring with it.

Ron

Old 02-13-2005, 08:56 PM
1984-3/4ton
New User
i used my buddys sand blastr from hf and was the same

Old 02-14-2005, 03:25 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, I've got the HF 40# one. On sale right now for about $80. Works great, the ball valves do wear out and you probably want some spare tips too. Great tool great price.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
Pressure pot sandblasters are not even comparable to siphon feds. The only drawback is the cost. Sandblasters are a get what you pay for item. There are tons of manufactures (alot from CHINA) making cheap pots availbale everywhere in the $60-200 range. Depending on the use, most will do if you use them rarely and not for big jobs, otherwise the ball joint, the hoses, and the tips are going to be replaced all the time and you are better to go for a commerical one like CLEMCO, The better models are $1000 plus, but you get what you pay. If you are going to use it around your home shop and just occassionally then the less than $200 will do, if you are going to use it for big projects and often don't waste your money on them. ALWAYS WEAR A APPROVED BREATHING MASK-- not one made for just anything-- silca kills. ALso, you may want to check your local, and state laws before purchase there are alot of laws governing their use , their safety, and the byproduct debris disposal. IF you are going to use it commerically you better gather alot of data form OSHA and the EPA before, the laws of use and disposal are huge in most cases for business use. I will add a pressure pot can be nothing more than a big pipe bomb-- you my want to consider that before purchasing the least expensive model or a used unit. tip-tools used to be the best for carrying really good models, I believe they only carry siphon feeds now- I would say due to the increase of Product liability costs of manufacture, because of other companies influx of the others cheap models flooding the market mostly from China . I may be wrong on that but, always consider quality when purchasing any pot/tank/compressor that will be under pressure ...Liability has driven alot of good companies from selling due to others bad qualites driving up the manufacture costs. If you can find a good used tip -tools scat model(s) I would certainly buy that over these no - namers....

Old 02-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Texascadillac42
Elder User
I've got a TIP tools Scat model, and the thing works awesome. If you really want to make any sandblaster cut through rust, paint and any other crap on metal surfaces, dont use silica sand, use Black Magic. It is an extremely abrasive ground slag material that will cut through layer upon layer of paint and rust in one pass, and its absolutely dirt cheap too. As was said, use a respirator, especially if you use the silica sand. No comparison between siphon and pressurized sandblasters, get the pressurized unit and dont look back.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:18 AM
bterry
Elder User
Here's some advise from a newbe on this site (although I've been around for a while now).

I've got an 80# unit from HF - works real good just as the others have said.
I also have the biggest blast cabinet they sell - another good inexpensive tool.
I run these with a 6.5 HP - 60 Gal - two cylinder - single stage compressor.

I only use FINE Black Beauty - work the best (I've tried them all). The only problem with it is that sometimes the factories screens will get holes and you end up with big chunks that will plug up your nozzle. This happened to me only once (one bag) in the 50+ bags I've gone through.

My compressor is the minimum required. Anything less will not keep up. You'll be to frustrated to be happy with any blasting you do.

I've done some pretty big jobs before, but I've also hired a pro (with a engine driven 180 CFM compressor, and a huge blast pot). He's done a big V-Box salt spreader (fits in a 1-Ton truck) and will be doing my son's 1970 GMC truck frame this week.

I thought about doing the truck frame with my 80# unit, but it would take me 10+ ours I'm guessing. The pro will do it while I wait for an hour - will probably cost me $150.

I guess if I had to sum this up, small suff can be done with the small equipment. Anything big requires a pro.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps....

Old 02-20-2005, 07:20 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome bterry, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Great first post, We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE
…..See you on the boards.