Sponsored by: DP Tuner

powdered metal rods

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 05:40 PM
gray psd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powdered metal rods

Anyone here had a problem with these,llike throwing them?I have heard over at the diesel stop that some have(modified trucks of course) and some have even thrown forged rods.Just wondering if anyone has a reason to why this is happening.Later

Old 02-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On ANY motor there is a such thing as too much. You can throw a rod on a gasser just as easy as a diesel. The PM rods on the later SD's is a limiting factor for those who are upgrading. For earlier SD's, they are forged and a little stronger, but then again there are better ones out there. You start putting up some high HP and TQ numbers, be prepared for something to break. That goes for any engine.

Go to a drag strip and watch how many cars and trucks break something. Couple of years ago there was a guy at a drag strip near Lubbock and had the fastest truck around town. It was a Friday night grudge night, but he was out testing his setup to get ready for race in a few weeks. They announced his name and his rig over the loudspeaker, got everyone to cheer, it was fun until.... About 300 feet later and BAM! blown engine, oil all over the track. Just a nice example of someone who went a little too far.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
yep you got it,

my niebors pullin truck broke two last season.

bout 400hp is the limit on the sd rods, diesel innovations has a nice strong set. i have to build a motor for my 94.5 here soon and what im gonna do is pull the motor out of my 97 and put it in the 94.5 since its just a work rig, and then go to town building the new motor for the 97 gonna get a set of thoose billet rods for it.

i know NIT from the diesel stop broke the forged rods in his 97 but thats cause of a hydrolock issue. johnboy's truck that has over 500 hp im pretty sure has the forged rods in it and hasnt had a problem and he has a few seasons on that motor.

the big rod breaker is a hydrolock problem, or overrev

Old 02-11-2005, 02:38 PM
gray psd
New User
Thanks.I am just lookiing into not breaking it(the engine).My oil analysis reports have been well below average and the engine is wearing great.I have a chip,bb turbo and exhaust now,and want to add the afe stage 2 intake.I have to have some work done to her(mostly small stuff) and may pull the chip and add the reg fule retun kit and 18k mod instead,but havent decided yet.Want this truck to last forever bt I also like the added performance from the mods.Later

Old 02-11-2005, 04:06 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep - it's all about trying to make too much power on the PMR's - too much and you'll have a nice viewing window in your block!! I have heard the 400 HP limit - but I have also heard that if you are making your power with propane or especially nitrous - you outta be real sensible about it with PMR's.

Gray PSD - i don't know what settings you have on your chip - but with what you have done, I would say your are just fine with your pmr's.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:19 PM
gray psd
New User
My chip has had the fuel timing taken back some and I rarely use the 75 or 100 hp settings,mostly 50.I use the stock mode til she geets up to operating temps then I go over to the 50 and,like I said,it stays there 90% of the time.I try not to beat it too much but occasionally give her a few full throttle runs and stuff like that but otherwise she is treated very well.