1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

bouncing, skipping rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
wphun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bouncing, skipping rear end

What causes the back end of my ranger to skip, if for instance, I'm travelling on an off rampand hit a bump. The back of the truck will bounce to the side. This is my first truck and don't lnow if this is normal. It is a 94 ranger.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:36 PM
TJ-Ranger
Senior User
I hear ya. Im relatively new to trucks too. My '88 Ranger is my 1st truck.. The reason for the bounce..is the back/bed is light in weight. You need to add some lbs to the bed. I have 3 pieces of 3/8 plywood (just because it was left over from a job) and 5 concrete patio tiles for extra weight. Has helped alot, but not 100%. Some have also used sandbags.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:10 PM
tortoise_486
Freshman User
Yeah, the bouncing and skipping seems to be part of truck ownership. Though, if your shocks have reached the end of their lifespan this wandering will be greatly increased... And truthfully, can be quite unsafe. I nearly put the truck in a ditch while driving a little enthusiastically in Maine... On perfectly dry, though bumpy pavement.

Last edited by tortoise_486; 02-03-2005 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
wphun
New User
Smile

thanks...no ditches for me...gonna fix this moonwalking

Old 02-03-2005, 03:43 PM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
Mine does the wiggle as well, I have driven it for 2.5 years and have already put a set of tires on it bc of this, and about to have to do it again, that and i've worn one of the fronts due to alignment issues. I think it is just inherent of trucks, esp. without any weight in the rear end. But I wouldn't trade the thing for the world. I used to carry a steel beam in the bed when I first got it, but the bed seemed to be worthless so I pulled it out

Old 02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
It is probably due to worn out springs, shocks or other suspension parts in the rear. Pickups, especially lighter ones like ours, will bounce around slightly because there's little weight back there but it should quickly recover from it.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 PM
dgreen
Junior User
I too am annoyed by the rear end movement sometimes. However, I was surprised to hear so many responses indicating folks who add weight to their bed. Does this cause anyone a decrease in gas mileage? If so, is it worth it?

Old 02-04-2005, 06:16 PM
ranger22
New User
I would be very careful carrying patio blocks or steel beams in the box of a light truck on a regular basis. The metal in the front of the box and the back of the cab are prety thin. If you are in a frontal accident you could find them in the cab with you, OUCH! Sandbags are safer. And definitely check the shocks, I bought my 97 Ranger with 82,000 km (50,000miles) on it and one rear shock was weak, you could really notice it if you hit a bump in a curve.I put new Monroe Sens-a-Tracs all around , it really improved the handling, firmed the ride up a bit too. Just be careful with the front shock studs on the suspension, soak the nut real good with WD-40 or equivalent and let it penetrate for a while, if you don't you may break the threaded end off. Then you either have to drill and tap the stud so you can put in a bolt to hold your shock on (temporary fix) or knock the broken stud out and weld a new one in, either fix is time consuming. Also a reminder that any time you do any welding on any newer vehicle, make sure that you disconnect your battery cables so that no stray voltage can find it's way through the system. Those computers are incredibly sensitive to stray voltages.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
wphun
New User
thanks for the tip how har is it to do rear shocks? Rebuilt a mercedes but haven't jumped in on the truck yet

Old 02-05-2005, 12:07 PM
TJ-Ranger
Senior User
In my case, after I bought the truck, I had to drop another $900+ in her to bring her up to date, which included new Sensi-trac shocks too! My patio blocks sit on the sheets of plywood and framed in, so they dont move around. But good point, Ranger22.