1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Full window glass question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full window glass question

I have a 51 F1 that I have removed the vent windows and I am going to full glass in my windows. I already have the full lift channels that will work and the full glass. I just need weatherstripping and felt that will work. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was another year that had full glass without the vent windows. I was thinking I could just buy the window kit for that year instead. Thanks for any info on this.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sacramento Vintage Ford, Dennis Carpenter, and others, should carry the items that you need to finish off your 1 piece glass.

Ilya

Old 02-01-2005, 01:25 PM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
Thanks a lot for the info

Old 02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
I got mine from Vintage Glass in Georgia. You will find them in all the mags especially NSRA's Street Scene

Bill

Old 02-02-2005, 12:15 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxy5oo
I have a 51 F1 that I have removed the vent windows and I am going to full glass in my windows. I already have the full lift channels that will work and the full glass. I just need weatherstripping and felt that will work. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was another year that had full glass without the vent windows. I was thinking I could just buy the window kit for that year instead. Thanks for any info on this.
I installed the one piece door glass in my 51 and i love it. At the door window bottom, where the felt strips go on. Its a good idea to bend them flat so the strips will set properly againist the glass. If you don't understand what I'm talking about send me an e-mail, with your e-mail address, and I will send you pictures.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
Thanks for the replies. I talked to a tech guy over at Sac Vintage Ford. They have a universal U channel and anti rattle strip that I can cut to length they sell. It is a lot cheaper than the custom fit they sell for the 51 F1. Have any of you guys used this at all. I know I will have to figure out a way to attach it properly. I was thinking about trying it because it would save me about 100 to 125 dollars it looks like, but I may end up going back and buying the proper ones for my truck also if they do not work out. Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:07 PM
AmeriKen
Senior User
The 1948 through 1952 have the same doors. None of them were one-piece with out a wing. The 1947 and older trucks were "wingless", but they probably won't fit.

I have a 390 +.030 in my 1964 Galaxie 500 that I rebuilt in 1984. She still runs strong even after all the thrashings I've given it. I put a Pertronix module in the 64 distributor for about $60. It was money well spent. The 390 is cammed quite a bit and was hard to start. Now, it jumps to life.

I'm finishing up my 51 Ford truck. It's an F1, F2, F3, F6, F8, and E350. I had a 51 F8 former fire truck cab and doghouse that I started with, and put it on an 1984 E350 ambulance dually chassis that was shortened about 3 feet. The 460/C6 is stock, but it will light up the rear tires.

I'm in the process installing single windows. I made a template and got the glass cut at a local glass shop.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:22 PM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
That is cool AK. I think my 390 in my truck is out of a 64 Galaxy. My cousin has a 64 Galaxy and the motors are identical. Actually I have been meaning to research it more, but I have not had a chance. I just bought this truck about 2 months ago. I traded some nice tires I had for a Mallory Electronic distributor and Ignition Coil that have never been used. I can't wait to get it going. I have a ways to go. I am going to pull the motor this weekend so I can clip it. I bought a MII Hub to Hub kit from Jim Weimer Rod Garage about a week ago.

Oh ya and I went to 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern on the front because that is what bolt pattern is already on the back, but Jim Weimer has 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern conversions you can get on his Hub to Hub kits. I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited by galaxy5oo; 02-02-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:09 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by galaxy5oo
Thanks for the replies. I talked to a tech guy over at Sac Vintage Ford. They have a universal U channel and anti rattle strip that I can cut to length they sell. It is a lot cheaper than the custom fit they sell for the 51 F1. Have any of you guys used this at all. I know I will have to figure out a way to attach it properly. I was thinking about trying it because it would save me about 100 to 125 dollars it looks like, but I may end up going back and buying the proper ones for my truck also if they do not work out. Thanks again.
Did you already remove the wing window assy. I purchased the window kit so the anti rattle strips had the push in lock pins installed. I had problems trying to get them pushed through the holes. they wanted to smash down, and the inside strip doesn't bend into the recess used to pull the door shut. According to my installiation instructions they say to use Urethane glue to install them. If they are thick enough you could possibly countersink and use flathead screws to hold them on.
With the U channel its easy to install you will just have to make two metal channel pieces to add onto the front of each side and a bracket. I think you will be able to do this without having to pay the added expense. I'm not totally happy with the way my strips went in and I want to redo them later on. By helping you I will decide what I want to do.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 AM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
Thanks 51ford fan for the good info. I did already remove the wing window assembly last weekend. I just cut the piece out that at the bottom of the window with a cut off wheel. The universal anti-rattle and u channel is in the mail so I will be getting it in about a week or so I think. I have so many projects going on my 51, that I just hope to get to it before long. I don't know though. I am pulling the motor and detailing it and the engine bay at some point, then on to clipping it, flipping the rear end and notching the frame, sanding it down to bare metal (that is about half way done already), fixing dents and rust places (it is pretty straight so this will not be to bad), painting it (I am just going to prime and flat black it myself for now because I wanted a cool truck I can drive and have fun with), and putting in all new glass. I have my work cut out for me. I do appreciate all of the input here. I will definately let you know how my universal felt works out. Like you said I think I can make the brackets and front pieces. I am going to try to take some time and do a good job on it. We will see how it turns out. I would like to get this truck rolling by the first weekend of April so I can take it to the Lone Star Round Up. It is going to be a tall task. I have honestly fallen in love with this truck though. I am having a blast with all of the mods. I feel like I did when I got my first truck again. What I can do to it next is all I can think about night and day, lol.

Last edited by galaxy5oo; 02-03-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:04 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
My wife picked up a magazine called Truck Builder for me last night. It has a beatiful looking 51 in it, that has an outside mirror which is just what I'm looking for. I purchased one of those stock mirrors that goes on the hinge pin but I just don't like the look.