1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Air Filter Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Air Filter Woes

I've got a '53 F-100 with a 215 six. It's got a little one-barrel Holley. I'm trying to restore it. I bought a couple of oil bath air cleaners off eBay. By the item descriptions, I was sure that one, if not both, would fit. ( I know... I only need one, but one of them came for such a good price, I couldn't pass it up). Well, neither fit. I have accessed the gallery photos here and am pretty sure that what I see on similar stock trucks is what I bought. Is there some kind of adapter that fits between the carb mouth and the air cleaner clamp? Or, have I stupidly purchased air cleaners for a larger carb? Anyone need an old air filter?

Old 02-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What is the diameter of your carb throat? I have an extra oil bath cleaner that might fit.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
This is a good question to bring up. I have a 2-barrel carb my friend gave me for my 55 Fairlane. However, it was off of a 56 truck. The top on the truck carb has a thin sloped lip all the way around while the car model has a broad flat ring at the top. No way my stock Fairlane air filter would fit. I suspect that you may have the oposit setup as mine. John

Old 02-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
You could do what the previous owner of my '60 223 did and spot weld the air cleaner to the carb. Let me know if you need photos of a compatible carb and air cleaner. I have the set off the 215 I am restoring. I have no idea if it is correct for 1953, though. The engine was replaced with a rebuilt 215 sometime in the '60's. The air cleaner doesn't look exactly like the '53 drawings and photos in my manuals.

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Old 02-01-2005, 04:25 PM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
I think I'll pass on the spot welding.

I snatched a gallery photo which shows what seems to be an air cleaner sitting on top of a little Holley. The cleaner looks like the same kind that I bought (as far as I can tell from photos). One big difference though, is the location of the clamping screw. The clamping screw on the cleaner I have hits on one of the bosses that the float bowl cover screw goes into. Also, my cleaner screw projects toward the driver side of the truck, whereas this photo shows the screw projecting forward. So, I'm wondering (hoping) that maybe all I have to do is find the proper clamping screw and away I go.
As far as the carb throat size goes, it measures 2.25 inches o.d. at the very top. Then,about 1/8 inch down, the outside changes shape with a kind of outward-extending tapered flange that I think the clamp grabs on to. The maximum o.d at that point is about 2.75 inches.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=22694&width=0

Old 02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Earl
Postmaster
John and John (Jag Red),

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I'm on restricted duty and am not allowed to work in the garage or outside unless I can get the temp above 50F or so. At any rate, I got the heaters going and reread the posts, especially John's (Jag Red) about the different mounting methods, and finally got out there to do some measuring.

On my 272 V-8, I've got the Holley 9110-EE 2 barrel. The top 5/8" of the carb body is designed to accept a clamp-on oil-bath air cleaner with a smooth 2-5/8" diameter opening (no flared flange).

I also have an air cleaner I bought (on eBay???) that has the opening and clamp shown in the photos below (the top photo is of the bottom of the air cleaner). I was hoping it would fit my carb, but it obviously won't due to the flanged inlet.

As you can see, the air cleaner opening is designed to clamp onto a flared flange on the carb inlet. The 2-3/4" diameter air cleaner throat ID extends about 7/16" in from the flanged section. The maximum diameter of the flanged section is 3-1/8". The clamp can be rotated so that the screw points in pretty much any direction when mounted (forward, back, either side).

If either of you two John's can use this air cleaner, or either of you to has a 2-5/8" diameter smooth clamp style I could use, please e-mail me (don't use the private messaging is you can avoid it). The air cleaner is either of yours for the asking, as I have no use for it.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
George I think the picture shown is for the truck model of carb. It looks like it would fit on my extra carb. Thanks for the offer of the air filter, but I'm sticking with the car unit myself. John

Old 02-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Then, since the air filter in the photos doesn't fit the Holley on my truck, I have the car version of the carb on my truck???

Old 02-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Goerge, I can't say for sure. Either you have the car version, or another version of the truck unit (different year). Can you post a pic of the carb? I have intimate knowledge of its appearance and should be able to pick out the car unit right away. John

Old 02-04-2005, 11:08 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
George, here's a clamp that I have floating around. It won't work for my little carb.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68249&width=0

The air cleaners that I have look like the ones that are supposed to be on the truck, but I suspect that they are for carbs with bigger throats. Either that, or I am missing something...maybe the correct clamp?... some kind of rubber bushing that goes between the carb and the filter?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68246&width=0

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68248&width=0

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68250&width=0

I know that eventually, I'll get all this air filter stuff figured out. I just hope that I can do it without owning every homeless oil-bath filter out there.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
Goerge, I can't say for sure. Either you have the car version, or another version of the truck unit (different year). Can you post a pic of the carb? I have intimate knowledge of its appearance and should be able to pick out the car unit right away. John
I get confused easily. To avoid any more head hurt, let me see if I have this right so far. By the way, could one of you John's change your name?

John (jvmcc) has:
- a carb that requires a smaller (2-3/4" OD) tapered mounting flange
- two air cleaners with a larger (3-1/8" OD) tapered mounting flange
- a third air cleaner with ??? mounting flange style
- a clamp for the 2-5/8" straight clamp on style air cleaner

George has:
- a carb that requires a 2-5/8" diameter straight clamp on air cleaner (see photo below)
- two air cleaners with the 2-5/8" diameter straight clamp on style, but with serious other problems (holes, dents, etc.)
- two clamps for the 2-5/8" diameter straight clamp on style air cleaner
- one air cleaner and clamp with a larger (3-1/8" OD) tapered mounting flange (same as jvmcc's twins)

John (Jag Red) has:
- knowledge we need
- air cleaners and/or clamps???

Here is a picture of my carb for reference.

At this point, if anyone can use any of the air cleaners or clamps I have, ask. I may try to repair one of the two that fits my carb, but the sheet metal is so thin that it my welding skills are probably not up to the task. Someone else has already tried to repair one by brazing it - it still leaks. I'm still hoping to find an air cleaner in good condition with the 2-5/8" diameter straight clamp style so I can stay stock.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Earl
Postmaster
John (jvmcc),

There is at least one oil bath air cleaner on eBay right now that lists the throat diameter of 2.25". Item number 7951962344 looks like it is in really good condition too and the price is good at $25 right now.

I've had success in contacting the vendors and asking them to take additional photos of items to confirm dimensions, etc. You might try that route if you want to bid on the item. Get them to e-mail you a photo of the bottom side and measure the flange dimension before you buy.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Guess I'll add my two cents to this discussion and really confuse the issue. I'm putting a new glass bowl carb on my 215:

Here's a couple pictures of the original carb on the truck with the air cleaner:

I'll do some measuring this evening to see what I find. But here's a disclaimer: my 215 is a rebuild and the air cleaner is of unkown vintage.

I want to make sure we're all on the same page so I drew a quick drawing of how the air cleaner, carb and clamp mate up:

jvmcc,

I may be interested in one of those air cleaners since they look more like what would have been original equipment in '53 than what I have.

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Last edited by Fat Fendered Ford; 02-04-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Kevin,

I'd be very interested in seeing what you get for the OD of the mounting flange on your air cleaner. It doesn't look like yours is the straight variety - but has a tapered flange mount. Right now, it seems like we've found two sizes - the 2-3/4" and the 3-1/8". Knowing you, you'll report yours is 77 mm or something equally useful.

If it does match the 3-1/8" size, please take mine instead of John's. I'd hate to split up his growing family - especially the twins. Bwaaa haaa haaa

I can hear all the non-stock folks groaning in the background. What is wrong with these stocker guys and gals??? Spending all this time and thread space on a stupid air cleaner!!! Sheesh! Slap a paper cartridge on there and get on with your lives! Sigh ... it's hard being a stocker.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Earl
Knowing you, you'll report yours is 77 mm or something equally useful.
Nah, I'm not Canadian.

I added the drawing to my post above after you replied, George. Obviously, this is different from your clamping style. I'll get the tape measure out when I get home tonight.

Yeah, restoring to stock is a pain in the a$$ at times. I spent six months trying to find a brake pedal bushing though even rodders sticking with stock pedals would have that problem. I even ordered bushing blanks from McMaster-Carr to make my own when I stumbled across a guy selling them for $4 each. Which is what I paid for one bushing blank.

Don't even get me started on engine paint. I finally decided to order some white POR 15 engine enamel and tint the Hirsch Mercury Green I bought and couldn't return since it's hazardous material.

But I'm having fun. As long as my beer supply holds out.

Kevin Kessler
1953 Ford F-100

Last edited by Fat Fendered Ford; 02-04-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Woes