6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Yes or No!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Gale Hawkins
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well we had a NO GO on the Fumoto install attempt.

The old plug was not leaking but it was torqued to 5 pounds or less. As soon as I backed it off one round a stream of oil developed and the plug fit was a very very loose fit in the threads. When I cleaned it off after getting it out I saw it had a very thick black plastic looking washer on it and I was thinking it was near stripped or had an over size plug as a "fix" in the past.

Sure enough the Fumoto valve threads did not even attempt to bite.

I went back with the old plug and tighened it as much as I dared. Instead of the normal 70% thread bite I am guessing we are more at a 20% bite.

It had the long version filter on it and some really thick stuff finally drained out of the bottom of it. If it is a by pass filter it may have been by passing. The oil out of the pan was dirty but thin even before I added 16 oz of Sea Foam and gave it 30 minutes of run time before the drain.

After finding the plug issue I am going to skip the Fumoto valve on this engine until after I check with them and see if the deep pan truck engines used a different size drain that the standard 429 drain plug. Since the truck may only see a couple thousand miles a year I may just change the long filter every year and that will be 2 new quarts of oil. I will just see how it looks and plan to use the Wal-Mart 10W-30 synthtic oil which I had not picked up yet. The only keys are in another vehicle to help insure it is not started without oil. We got the down and dirty part finished just as it started to rain so that worked out nicely and will pour in the oil tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:06 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you mean 10w30, or was that a typo? You need a CJ-4 rated oil for these trucks. Most use 15-40 dino oil or 5-40 syn. Some like Amsoil make a syn 15-40, just make sure you are using the right oil for a diesel.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Gale Hawkins
Senior User
The new Fords use 5W-20 (wife's TC) but someone posted here the older big blocks use 10W-30. I have Rotella diesel oil 5W-40 in the Chevy 454 (1992)in the MH and could go that route in the 429 (1989 if not swapped out) in the truck too.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:32 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious why you're talking about gassers in the 6.0 diesel forum, thats where it all got confusing for me. Sorry.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Gale Hawkins
Senior User
I really was just talking about Fumoto valves in a direct sense.

I did go ahead and picked up and put in the 5W-40 Rotella Syn after your post since it was only $18 more than the WM 10W-30 syn as I plan to use it in the MH and diesel tractor (the three vehicles we service at home) counting the dump truck.

The damaged drain plug threads was a let down but at least the black mess is ready to return to WM and we have the best oil money can buy locally in the crankcase. My guess the old oil was about 5 years old (when the last owner purchased it).

Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am totally lost as to what is going in what??

Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
I have had a fomoto valve on every truck since they came out. They work great, I always get the one with the nipple so you can slide a 3/8 hose on the end, open the valve and drain it into a container without a single drop of oil hitting the floor.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would I want a fumoto drain valve? no. It does not have a magnet like the stock bolt.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
Originally Posted by smokersteve
Would I want a fumoto drain valve? no. It does not have a magnet like the stock bolt.
My last UOA I split the sample into two bottles. One I sent in just as it was taken. The other I inserted a STRONG magnet in it for quite awhile. The anaytical results were essentially identical. I wonder how much good the magnet is under normal circumstances ..........

Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 AM
JLarsson
Freshman User
I took the magnets out of a dead hard drive and put them on either side of the drain valve. I pop the magnets off before I drain, and put them back on after. I have no idea how much, if any, good it's doing, but it can't hurt. These are pretty strong magnets.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:38 AM
jdandrson
New User
Dang late nite internet

Just ordered one to. Ebay. The OL will be proud. LOL!!!!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:21 AM
w_huisman
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JLarsson
I took the magnets out of a dead hard drive and put them on either side of the drain valve. I pop the magnets off before I drain, and put them back on after. I have no idea how much, if any, good it's doing, but it can't hurt. These are pretty strong magnets.
Haha! I use the same hard drive magnets. They are definitely strong!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smokersteve
Your oil filter will catch anything that is "floating" around in your motor.

If your oil is warm and has been mixed up prior to draining, then "stuff" is suspended and will drain out. As well, "heavy particulate" will settle to the bottom anyways and drain out.

Most oil drain plugs on gas or diesel motors are NOT magnatized and there not wholesale problems... the Fumoto valve is just for convenience and eliminates the possibly of stripping the drain plug and having the replace the copper/crush gasket each time.

But hey... if it works, stay with it... it worked for me until I got my Fumoto Valve.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:27 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hard to believe the OP on this thread was nearly 6 years ago and it's still popping its head.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,449 Likes on 894 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Hard to believe the OP on this thread was nearly 6 years ago and it's still popping its head.
It keeps popping up for a good reason. Some people are on the fence to whether go with convenience (fumoto valve) vs magnetic filtering (oem drain plug). I'm personally on the magneted filtering because I remember when I changed the oil for the first time the magnet had some metal particles stuck to it that never made it to the oil filter. Maybe the magnet is there for the break-in period, but provides a peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Yes or No!