Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Yes or No! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/338456-fumoto-oil-drain-valve-yes-or-no.html)

TBag7295 01-30-2005 07:13 PM

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Yes or No!

Can you guys give me a little feedback on the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. I am waiting to change my oil but want to know if I should install one or not.
Thanks for the feedback.

Tony

photonv 01-30-2005 07:36 PM

Con's ??

I would see very little reason not to install a F valve if you do your own oil changes. the only remote chance would be to have someone drain oil on you?? unless they cart off four gallons then you would see it on the ground. I have had valves on my pu trucks for at least five years never a problem. I used to be a fleet mechanic for high trucks( 18 wheelers) they used them never heard of a problem

barnbridge 01-30-2005 07:36 PM

yes, almost makes oil changes fun!

IB Tim 01-30-2005 07:58 PM

ONLY thing to have if you do it yourself....well OK, and some oil, and a filter and ........

04superduty 01-30-2005 08:21 PM

just used mine for the first time. no oil splashed anywhere. i got the one with the nipple and it drained alittle slow. I am not sure of the one without the nipple drains any faster. the fact that no oil was splashed made up for the slow speed. Also not needing a wrench to remove the plug was nice.

Steina 01-30-2005 08:31 PM

Lowered vehicles and/or oil drain plug on bottom of pan - no.

Other than that, go for it!

Steve

Antacus 01-30-2005 09:35 PM

So do these plugs allow the trash from a new truck to drain out or wait for past the first few oil changes to add them?

SBV45 01-30-2005 09:51 PM

I put a Fumoto valve with nipple on the first oil change. I have a 4x4. It is on the bottom of the pan. I have had it out in the bush, mud, etc. It is well protected by undercarriage and front anti-sway bar. You would have lots of other problems if you managed to rip it off.

It seems to drain out everything.

I have over 30,000 miles which means I have done 5 oil changes with the Fumoto. It makes life easy. I just drain into some old gallon oil jugs that I dispose of at AutoZone.

Get one. Put it on.

Antacus 01-30-2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SBV45

I have over 30,000 miles which means I have done 5 oil changes with the Fumoto. It makes life easy. I just drain into some old gallon oil jugs that I dispose of at AutoZone.

Ahh, good idea. I was wondering where I was going to find a 3+gal oil pan. So far the biggest I have seen is 12 quarts, which leaves NO room for extra.

SBV45 01-30-2005 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Antacus
Ahh, good idea. I was wondering where I was going to find a 3+gal oil pan. So far the biggest I have seen is 12 quarts, which leaves NO room for extra.

I save a set of my old gallon oil jugs. I buy it by the gallon. With the fumoto you empty right into the jug, turn it off, change the jug, etc. The old oil jugs have a clear line going up the side so you can see how much oil is in the jug so you don't overfill.

Never spill a drop.

jackofalltrades 01-30-2005 10:29 PM

Buy the Fumoto. Great on a 4x4!

Yes, it's a little slow to drain. I use one gallon clear plastic milk jugs, easy to glance under the rig to see if I need to move another in place. My garbage/recycling service picks up the jugs for proper disposal. I've never tried to pour 14+quarts from an oil drain pan into containers. Sounds like a challenge. The Fumoto valve with nipple makes things easy and mess free. As far as letting metal through.. If there's stuff flowing that's bigger than which will fit out the valve, I'd figure you'd see traces of the same in your filter which is quite inspectable when you change it. If you've got that much metal in your oil, you've got other prollems...

When you install the valve do it with cold oil. (unless your thumb is impervious to pain), Just pull the plug, then quickly plug with one of your digits, then quickly install the Fumoto valve, Next oil change -do it when the engine's warm. It'll flow a bit faster then.

kabcpapc 01-30-2005 10:33 PM

Just did my oil change on 1-27-2005 and installed the Fumoto valve with nipple so I can use 3/8" ID clear tubing to rout the oil drainage where I want to. The oil filter is still the messy part but I might investigate the Oil Guard system to see if I can eliminate more mess.

SBV45 01-30-2005 10:39 PM

How is the filter messy? When I unscrew the cap, I lift filter and cap out and use a plastic shopping bag to set it in and grasp the filter with the bag then just wrap the filter in the bag for disposal. If you loosen the filter cap but not remove the cap and filter, it will all drain into the crankcase while you drain the crankcase.

Check the oil change procedure in the .....Tech Folder........

OSBUCKEY 01-31-2005 02:20 AM

Who sales the Fumoto drain valve and where can you get one. Sounds like it would be good for sampling your oil.

thanks

dsweger 01-31-2005 06:09 AM

Although I have a Fumoto on the way for the next oil change, you can buy an oil drain pan at Walmart which holds the old oil easily.... It even has a pour spout on the side to make getting the oil into other containers easy.