1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

How difficult to replace an airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
springdrl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of you make excellent comments. My thoughts were that a defective sensor might cause a new airbag to explode once you apply the power to it. Without question, I would never connect an airbag to a hot electrical system. Also, it seems a good trick to remove residual voltage is by applying the brake once the battery is disconnected. Still, I intend to wait at least 20 minutes after disconnecting the battery before trying to install a new airbag and of course, never position any part of my person in front of it.

Still, I would like to know for sure if the sensors in a Ranger "trigger only once" and then "fail open" so that a new airbag would not trigger from them.

If I could just find the sensors I feel I might be able to compare them with a continuity check just to see if they are identical. With the current airbags already having blown, there is no fear of injury from them.

Also, you would think that safety concerns would dictate that all airbag sensors fail open. To do otherwise would cause the airbag to explode the instant either sensor fails or becomes defective.

Last edited by springdrl; 01-31-2005 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
I beleive the only crash sensors on 99+ trucks are part of the RCM and are not replaceable by themselves.
Here is a thread with some info in it.
http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323227

Do a forum search, there are lots more info here.
Dave

Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
springdrl
New User
Thanks for sharing that Dave. After reading all those comments, I'm inclined to just forget about the airbags and purchase an aftermarket dummy cover that replaces the airbag. I'm not sure that even a dealer would put everything back in place so that I would be 100% assured the bags would fire the next time.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:44 PM
andrave
New User
oh trust me, if you plug new ones in they will fire again. I know from experience.
Also you should be aware that removing safety equipment from your vehicle is illegal and could get you in a bit of trouble some day. Not saying that its likely that it will, but if a cop pulls you have and you have a steering wheel with no airbags on a car that had airbags, and he wants to write you a ticket, he can....

Old 02-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Goodpoint andrav. Also if you ever sell the truck and it is involved in an wreck with personal injury and the Airbag is "Missing" or dosen't deploy and it can be traced back to you... also it may open you up to a law suit for the injured party.
Dave

Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM
springdrl
New User
It appears such laws vary by state. I spoke to an adjuster with my insurance company and was told that I don't have to replace the airbags. Also, I had no problem getting a new inspection sticker with the airbag case open and exposed.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Thats interesting..didn't know that.
Dave

Old 02-01-2005, 04:56 PM
springdrl
New User
Its seems that's a common ploy with body shops to secure the business. I mean I don't see how a body shop would be required to replace them if the owner has no responsibility to do so. But of course a guy at the one body shop where I initially took it for an estimate told me he "had" to replace them if he did the job. Isn't that like the mechanic telling you he "has" to sell you a set of tires just because you appear to need them?

Please understand, I'm not trying to take anything away from the benefit of airbags. It's just that I have $135 invested right now and the truck looks 100%. That same guy included repainting the hood in his estimate just because of a ding in the edge of the hood that is less apparent than what you pick up on your door in a parking lot.

Little wonder we pay through the nose for insurance.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
andrave
New User
the body shop does "have" to replace them. Its a national law, so it shouldn't vary state to state. I'd say it would vary with whoever you talked to. You can't trust an inspection center to guarantee that if they inspect your vehicle that its safe to drive and conforms to all laws. Most of those places exhange the fee for a sticker, and they make kick your tires just to make it look like they are doing their job.
Its also a good point that you would be opening yourself up to liability- not just from future owners of the vehicle, but to passengers that you carry (if youre 96 and up I believe its dual air bags) if they were injured in an accident.
Furthermore, if YOU were ever injured in a collision you might not be able to collect as much as you would like because you have the duty to mitigate damages (ie in some states if you don't wear your seat belt and are injured only because you flew through the windshield, the person that you hit is only required to compensate you for the amount of damage that you would have sustained had you been wearing your seat belt).
I'm just pointing out some problems that might arise.
Like I said before, you probably would never had a problem with any of those things, but if it was my truck I think I'd rather be safe than sorry. Too many things to worry about, not to mention YOUR safety if you were ever in a serious front end collision.

1 more thing about the body shops, I had an accident, took the car to a friend of my dads, who did the work at less than cost. My dad asked him "can you just leave the airbags out to save money?" he replied "its against the law, it would void my insurance policy at the shop, open me up to liability, and morally I couldn't let a car leave my shop being unsafe."

Old 02-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Here is some info that is interesting..
http://insurancefraud.org/airbag_sc_inf_losses.htm
Dave

Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM
springdrl
New User
Thanks for sharing that Dave. It points to the concern that I have and that is will the work be done in such a manner that the airbag will be sure to fire the next time. It seems the overall system is so complex that even with no intent to defraud the customer, there's a chance for failure. Also, I would hate to fork out $3000 or more just to be back in the same position after another "fender bender".

It seems the best solution is to re-design these systems so they are cheaper and easier to test and replace.

It's rediculous that it took only $130 to repair the cosmetic damage and yet the consumer (and his insurance company) has to pay $3000 for airbags. No wonder there is so much fraud.

Last edited by springdrl; 02-02-2005 at 02:08 PM.