Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladder Bars?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:36 PM
indian_outlaw87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ladder Bars?????

Does anyone know where i can get ladder bars for a 90 f150 4x4 i have found a couple but they only work with a six inch lift? Or is there another way to reduce axle hop

Old 01-30-2005, 02:39 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can reduce axle hop by getting rid of any and all lift blocks. blocks act like a lever in twisting the axle and springs and cause the springs to load up and then discharge making the wheel hop. you could also try new shocks as this will help alot

Old 01-31-2005, 06:40 PM
sthrnredneck
Freshman User
hey buddy, i got the same truck and the same problem. she bounces enough to throw it out of gear sometimes when you pop the clutch on dry pavement. makes it hard to do donuts also. any ideas appreciated.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
like i said, blocks and shocks. if you do some measurements, you could see if you could mount the shocks at a steeper angle to make them do a little bit more to reduce axle wrap.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:18 PM
indian_outlaw87
New User
Yah i once hooked up to a guy in a pull off well that was a bad idea because once i let that clutch out she started jumpin and it kicked out of gear luckily he was a nice guy cause he could have pulled me a pretty long way if he wanted to be a *****

Old 01-31-2005, 09:43 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
what does that have to do with anything? j/w. you could make you own ladder bars if you dont want to take my addvice and do those two things, just get a pencil and paper and start drawing. i would advise against this though, as ladder bars will kill any articulation you might have.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Removing the blocks may not be enough. My 94 Lightning had quite a bit of wheel hop (even with the stock slapper bars) until I installed some torque arm traction bars. The ones I use are supposedly for a 4x4 application, but that work great for my street/strip application. I posted a pic of them on my truck in this thread...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...+traction+bars

Old 01-31-2005, 11:24 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
While you accelerate, your rear wheels obviously spin forward, but some of this torque forces the springs (and in turn the axle housing), to rotate backwards, twisting the leave springs much like a sideways "S".

Blocks between the springs and the axles do aggrevate this quite a bit actually.

There are several ways to reduce this.

1. Stiffer springs. I have an F350 and no matter how hard I hammer the throttle, the springs do not torque backwards. This is because they have many, many more leaves than the F150. But, the ride is by far much harsher, which is to be expected. Maybe something in the middle might be good for you, say, F250 rear springs?

2. Install anti-wrap rods. Essentially, this is a pair of panhard rods that attach below the axle either by welding to the axle tubes, or a bracket that gets bolted to the axle tubes with slightly longer u-bolts as compared to what you have now. The other end of the rod bolts to another bracket (both sides) bolted or welded to the frame. The rod actually is threaded tubing, aluminum or steel, with a female rod end installed on both ends, bolted through the bracketry.

This prevents the axle from twisting the spring, and significantly reducing wheel hop. With spherical bearings in the anti-wrap rods, this shouldn't reduce your articulation all that much because they aren't tied together left and right, they are completely seperate rods handling only one side of the suspension each.

3. You could convert the entire rear suspension to a 4-link system with coil springs, much like racing vehicles. Depending on your design, you should be able to figure in a reasonable amount of articulation. But this is a much larger project than the first two suggestions, but is very doable with the right tools, and a lot of math scribbed on paper.