What brand of audio components?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Rassler140
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What brand of audio components?

what is the best company to buy products (speakers,amps,etc.) from?

Old 01-27-2005, 04:17 PM
morcutt
Senior User
To each their own. You could ask that question of 10 different people and get 10 different answers. Personally, I like Rockford Fosgate amps and for speakers, Focal, MB Quart, and JL Audio. For the speakers, it's simply a matter of taste (Focal and MB Quart seem to do a nice job with musical details) and I like Rockford Fosgate for amps, simply because they typically has a MOSFET output stage that functions based on current amplification, giving more of a gutsy/tube sound. (Transistor amplifiers use a voltage amplification method for powering speakers). A good rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. For example, if amplifier 'A' is $100 for a 1200 watts and amplifier 'B' is $800 for 1200 watts, there is probably a little more to the $800 unit. Thats assuming all other things are equal, such as the $800 amp not being sold at a store that sells above retail prices, or something like that. A good way to shop is to visit some car stereo stores and take a listed - they usually have demo areas where you can listen to different speakers, amps, head units, etc. Keep in mind two things though: 1) the units will sound a little different in your car due to the accoustics and 2) car stereo stores are like any other store - they typically like to push merchandize that they get higher margins on, or other incentives for selling. In the end, always trust your ears and not someone else - no matter what kind of so-called 'expert' they claim to be. Your the one that will be listening to the final system for some time and it's only your opinion that counts.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:17 PM
86moneypit
Senior User
Just to tell you in advance it has a lot to do with opinion.
But for me When i bought an old Bronco it came with Pioneer Mids. I find that they hit nice and hard, while still producing a good mid range quality. I also recently insatlled a Kenwood CD Reciver. For the month that i have had it no problems and only 2 hours to install. (I think that was good for my first time) I also had a Loaded enclosure from Dual for my Bronco, but it wouldnt fit in my '00 Scab so i had to get rid of it. They were powered by a Boss Audio Systems amp.(Loved the whole set up but times are changing)

Old 01-27-2005, 07:26 PM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
so far i'm happy with pioneer, got a pioneer HU, 6x8's, subs coming, not sure about an amp yet, but that all depends on what I decide i need to power the subs and how much money I have to buy one, still a ways off on that one.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Renegadesrun
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rassler140
what is the best company to buy products (speakers,amps,etc.) from?

Heres fact based upon years of usage, and knwoledge of their use.

Amps.... US Amps, Arc Audio, Lunar, JL, MMATS, Zapco, Helix, Brax, Sinfoni

Subs..... Resonant Engineering, Adire Audio, Treo, Incriminator Audio, JL, ID...

Decks.....Eclipse, Alpine, or Clarion.

Speaks......Focal MB CDT Rainbow Arc DLS Image Dynamics......

Some not listed and not in any particular order. If its sold at HH gregg BB or CC, unless its a H/U it doesnt have any business anywhere near this post.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:21 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
Originally Posted by Renegadesrun
Heres fact based upon years of usage, and knwoledge of their use.

Amps.... US Amps, Arc Audio, Lunar, JL, MMATS, Zapco, Helix, Brax, Sinfoni

Subs..... Resonant Engineering, Adire Audio, Treo, Incriminator Audio, JL, ID...

Decks.....Eclipse, Alpine, or Clarion.

Speaks......Focal MB CDT Rainbow Arc DLS Image Dynamics......

Some not listed and not in any particular order. If its sold at HH gregg BB or CC, unless its a H/U it doesnt have any business anywhere near this post.

It all depends on your budget but I have to agree with the following post that these are some of the best brands.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Renegadesrun
Senior User
Originally Posted by grease monkey
It all depends on your budget but I have to agree with the following post that these are some of the best brands.
No budget was given. None was followed. The rise in price is in direct relation to the rise in quality. There are VERY few exceptions.

There is no magic badazz built anything for pennies from Brick and Mortar unless you have an in period. It just doesnt happen.

You get what you pay for........period. (cept JL, the overcharge their products to the extreme)

Old 01-31-2005, 06:53 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
The best car audio brands are the brands that are less commericalized because they do the research to build the best. I had several systems in my life but from experiance you pay the little extra for the best and it will never let you down.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM
Renegadesrun
Senior User
Originally Posted by grease monkey
The best car audio brands are the brands that are less commercialized because they do the research to build the best. I had several systems in my life but from experiance you pay the little extra for the best and it will never let you down.
Yea, after years of blowing hard earned cash i finally starting looking and listening. Ive owned 10 US amps at least and have never had one fail. All at under half of MSRP and all never needing the warranty you generally pay extra for, that the manufacturers offers for FREE. What a joke. Cant stand Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Lightning, etc etc etc and all the other bands with their inflated claims and bottom barrel builds. At least 50 Sony ppl are looking at this thinkin.....mine runs fine. Yea, but for how long? I can name 5 amps right now that should beat subs to death until your grandkids can own them. Some need dont have the cash, some dont want to spend the cash, some wouldnt know a good sounding system if it walked up and kicked then in the cajones, and some just wont listen. I dont argue anymore about it, its not my cash, truck, or problem. I just spit out the info. Do with it what you please.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 PM
hondamx320
Freshman User
SUBS.. KICKER

AMP.. ABSOLUTE... GREAT PRODUCT GOOD PRICE

CD PLAYER... PIONEER

KICKER ALL THE WAY.... BEST (PERSONAL PREFERENCE)

Old 02-01-2005, 06:05 AM
morcutt
Senior User
Actually, I don't think that comercialiation has anything to do with quality; that's simply a function of how much money a company has and desires to dedicate to marketing. It's an assumption that, if a company doesn't spend a lot on marketing, then they have and spend significant money on R&D. The key is experience as users are posting here. A second resource is reading about what equipment is used to win the auto sound-off competitions. There are several categories in these competitions - not just the highest SPL (volume). These competitions are written up in audio magazines and take place in many areas across the country. The people that have participated in these events for any singificant amount of time have a lot of experience with different equipment (both in terms of sound quality and durability of the product) and they make an excellent resource. These events were the source of my selection of audio components years ago.

Again, in response to the original post, I have to reiteriate that ultimately it is going to be what sounds best to the buyer - it's their truck, their money, and they are the ones that have to live with their decision. Stereo shops are a great place to here different brands side-by-side. I ended up purchasing some Focal brand speakers years ago this way - before they were name in car audio. Other things need to be considered beyond the brand of the equipment as well. For example, as FTE members have pointed out, Kicker make a greate sub generally, but put it in the wrong box, and you'll end up losing out on some great sound.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Renegadesrun
Senior User
Well, as far as the L7 or 5 are concerned it takes considerable effort to make it "sound good". It is in no way shape or form an SQ sub. They get stupid loud yes, but not cleanly without a great box. Many confuse loud with sounds good. Thats ok. You still have a life. Those without, and "the ear" will 3 out 5 times equate the sound of the new solo's to wet flatulance. Neither of the forum favorites are what they used to be.

Funny, guys will go out of their way to come here with truck questions, but wont go to the correct arena for asking about car audio. There are a few exceptions to gettin the answers you need, but those ppl are rarely on.

I like the section and its great for Ford specific questions, but i would have to equate whats going on here with going to the Dentist because your foot hurts.