1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wire Harness replacement question ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 08:16 PM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wire Harness replacement question ???

Hey Everybody.....

54 F100 with 239 converted to 12 volt generator..

I need to do a harness and was torn between a stock 54, a 55 or 56...(since they are for 12 volt already) or a universal that I can wire up as needed.
My concerns are to get back to the correct connections for brakes and lights, still using the original guages also.
Does anybody have an opinion or had any success with any of the above choices , or do you have a better option I could consider?
I,m not planning on power windows or air in the near future so i dont need any kind of 21 circuit deal , just a good clean install if possible.

Thanks, Ed

Old 01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are planning on adding extras some day, like power windows or a better stereo or air conditioning, I would think you'd be better off with a modern system with a fuse panel. This will offer the most options for later modifications. If you want the easiest route and don't plan on modifications, go with a stock reproduction. This will have the proper connections already in place and the wires will be the correct length. Either way, do a site search for articles on what brands ppl recommend.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd recommend a new modern fuse panel and harness. Even tho they were 12V 56s still did not have a fuse panel. You can get basic 8-10 circuit fuse panel harnesses from most of the harness makers and on ebay. On my EZ wire harness you can pull out the wires you don't need now and save them for later additions. That's a lot better than having to rip out everything and start over when you run out of circuits.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:48 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just finished installing an EZWIRE harness in my 51. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. I was looking for just a fuse panel, and was going to just run wires. But when I added up the cost to piece it together I just couldn't see any savings over purchasing the harness. The EZwire harness only cost me $160.00 plus shipping.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:16 AM
e william
Elder User
Hey 51 Ford Fan... When you used the "E Z Wire" harness, were the end connections correct or did you have to buy the correct type connectors and wire them in??? If you had to buy them, where did you get them from?
Ed

Old 01-22-2005, 11:34 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My truck is far from stock, but I believe the early trucks used mostly either ring and screw terminals or 1/4" spade terminals rather than modern plug in multi terminal connectors. These are standard crimp on terminals available at any parts store or even Walmart. I keep a stock of these around so I don't remember what came from where. The kit does come with headlight plugs and steering column connector that matches aftermarket and GM columns with instructions on cutting off the connector and converting to Ford wiring. It also has plug in connectors for modern ignition and wiper switch that you'll probably cut off.
All the wires are printed with their function all along their length as well as color coded.
Acessories such as switches, special application sub harnesses, relays, tools etc are available from the various hotrod wiring companies like EZ Wire, Ron Francis, Painless, etc. as well as auto parts stores, DIY stores and Walmart. It's not a difficult job, especially on a stock or near stock truck, just take your time, do one section at a time and don't get overwelmed by all the other wires, just tie them up out of the way until you are ready to do another section, that way you are working with just a few wires at a time.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:46 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by e william
Hey 51 Ford Fan... When you used the "E Z Wire" harness, were the end connections correct or did you have to buy the correct type connectors and wire them in??? If you had to buy them, where did you get them from?
Ed
I have a wire terminal kit I purchased a while back, it comes with the crimping tool. I don't remembed exactly where I purchased it from, might have been Home Depot. I'm sure either Home Depot, Radio Shack, or an electronics supply have whatever you need. I soldered all the wire connections and used shrink tubing,(not electrical tape). They don't recommend soldering the wires together for some reason. They recomend crimping them with those supplied connectors. That TV show American Hotrod shows them soldering and using the shink tubing.
The harness comes with the connector for the GM steering column. I'm planning to add it later, but still have the stock unit at this time. I just cut off the connector, and left 8" of wire so I can wire it back into the harness when I install the Toyota steerng and new column.
Hope this helps, if I can be of any further assistance let me know.

Old 01-22-2005, 08:10 PM
e william
Elder User
Thanks everybody...I have all the standard type connectors, shrink tube, and crimpers...having the headlight plugs already there helps, the gm plug will fit directly into my I-did-it column...I guess now all I have to do is finnish the wife's project list pick a wire kit and lock myself into the garage!

Hey 51 Ford...you mentioned a Toyota box. I put one in my 54 and just love it. I ended up mounting the Toyota pump to the Generator bracket and running off a double generator pulley. I got the complete Toyota setup so I worked the Toyota tensioner and fluid reserve into the mix as well.

thanks again,,,,,Ed

Old 01-22-2005, 09:41 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=e william]Thanks everybody...I have all the standard type connectors, shrink tube, and crimpers...having the headlight plugs already there helps, the gm plug will fit directly into my I-did-it column...I guess now all I have to do is finnish the wife's project list pick a wire kit and lock myself into the garage!

Hey 51 Ford...you mentioned a Toyota box. I put one in my 54 and just love it. I ended up mounting the Toyota pump to the Generator bracket and running off a double generator pulley. I got the complete Toyota setup so I worked the Toyota tensioner and fluid reserve into the mix as well.

I would sure like to see a few pictures of the steering box install. I was thinking of looking for one of those electric pumps that Subaru used in their 91 models

Old 01-22-2005, 10:57 PM
e william
Elder User
I,ll try to post some pics for you late Sunday afternoon.

Ed