Sponsored by:

Bronco rear wiper ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:52 AM
bryce 96
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco rear wiper ?

Has anyone ever researched/ attempted a rear wiper install. It would be nice to have on rainy days

Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Outlawwv
Senior User
ive never seen or heard of one on a full size bronco -- but if its ever been done i bet someone on this forum knows about it some of these guys are very knowledgeable

Old 01-16-2005, 10:51 AM
MatthewC
Elder User
I have not seen or heard of anyone ever doing this, but it would definately be do-able. I have spent time behind the Bronco scratching my chin figuring exactly how it could be done. I hate having to get out and clean that window all the time.

-Matt

Old 01-16-2005, 02:01 PM
bossind
Elder User
Roll the window down, that'll clear it.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
As long as your weather stripping is new and taut. Mine is neither.
Wiper is still a cool idea though.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:31 PM
bossind
Elder User
You can buy that weather strip still from the dealer, think it was 35.00 when I replaced mine.

Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 PM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
What a heck of an idea. I always thought my spare tire rack/tire would be in the way and never went any further. With the abundance of smaller SUV's around and the small size of the tailgate, I'm sure some much smaller motor/drive combos are availabe to make this a reality. You'd need to make sure it parks in a position to allow full operation of the rear glass.
Tex

Old 01-16-2005, 03:42 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
I was thinking that it could be mounted above the glass, protruding from the fiberglass top. The motor would be mounted on the inside, with the wiring being able to be unhooked when the top is needed to be removed. At least thats how I thought of it.

-Matt

Old 01-16-2005, 03:43 PM
bossind
Elder User
Kit cars use the wiper mount setup from a fox body ford (mustang, capri, thunderbird) so i'm sure you could retro fit the same to the backend. A boat wiper may work as well, ussally the motor and mount are all in one.

There was also a wing that was made for the bronco to fit above the rear window to place or direct air pressure on the rear window, which helped keep it clear. I forget who makes it, it'll come to me.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:42 PM
bossind
Elder User
Originally Posted by MatthewC
I was thinking that it could be mounted above the glass, protruding from the fiberglass top. The motor would be mounted on the inside, with the wiring being able to be unhooked when the top is needed to be removed. At least thats how I thought of it.

-Matt

That would look the best, would have to use some kind of hook or edge for the wiper to rest on when not in use so it doesn't get pinched when the window rolls back up. Wiper (arm) is spring loaded to put pressure on the window so its going to want to swing in when you roll the window down.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:47 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
To roll up the window and not have the wiper in the way we could use the same system that most new vehicles have for their windshield wipers of being able to stand straight up, like when they are parked overnight in the snow. Tell you the truth, id like to hear Greystreak's opinion on this. He would have good ideas on this fabrication.

-Matt

You have a PM by the way.

Last edited by MatthewC; 01-16-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:00 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I was in the middle of working on a setup when my truck when it went in for its restoration...here is a quick break down....
Motor, wiper and "Blade Lift" (What raises the blade off of the window when not in use), from a 92 Explorer. The motor fits between the glass and hardware and the outer skin of the tailgate. Mounting it there does require the glass to be removed or to be raised and supported with the tailgate down, but removed is safer. I was working on how to mount the lift piece when I sent the truck to the shop so I never finished it. When they get to the tailgate, (replacing the glass), I am going in to hopefully finish the job. Mounting it in the tailgate keeps from having to mess with wiring when you pull the top.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
bryce 96
New User
I kinda prefer mounting it above glass idea, like hard top on a jeep.But the motor I have is outta a 98 or up explorer and requires a relay control box[ which I don't have]. also looks like I gotta shorten arm or it will hit tailgate at full sweep.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
bossind
Elder User
Yeah I think I'll just stick with my two side mirrors to see whats behind me.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:30 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MatthewC
Tell you the truth, id like to hear Greystreak's opinion on this. He would have good ideas on this fabrication.

-Matt
Could be done. Finding the steel in the top to mount the motor and bracketry could be fun. I wouldn't want to mount it to just the fibreglass...one time with the wiper frozen to the stop bracket and you'd twist the motor right out of the top. Thinking that the best option could possibly be a single wiper pilfered from the Big Bronco's older brother. The early Bronco wipers had very short arms and when they finally went to an electric motor (as opposed to the vacuum operated motor) it was very compact because it was mounted above the windshield. Might have to look into this a bit further.