Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

electrical in garage help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:31 PM
stupidjet
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical in garage help

ok, i hope someone can help me on this. i have 1 outlet in the garage. from this outlet, i want to power 3 more outlets (garage door opener and 2 small lights) i want to be able to turn the lights off from 2 locations, (front and back) while the garage opener always works...how would i go about doing this?

Old 01-11-2005, 09:11 PM
sullyda1
Senior User
It's relatively easy if you are familiar with electrical work. However, the fact you are asking suggests you ought to go to a book store or library for books on electrical wiring. Yours is simple. If you understand the books, you should be able to do it yourself.

Right now you need to know the amp rating of the circuit to your current light. Most likely it's 15 amp, which should be adequate to expand a few more lights and outlets. But you need to add up the total amps on the circuit right now. You may have other outlets coonected to this circuit.

The trickiest thing you plan is your light switches to turn off and on from 2 locations. Still, it's basic electrical.

Last edited by sullyda1; 01-11-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 AM
stupidjet
Senior User
there cables goes from the box to the outlet, nothing else. i do have one of those books, but it doesnt show how to do what i want.

so could you please explain what i need to do? sorry if i''m asking too much

Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
It's not that you are asking too much but we don't know if the "box" you reference is junction box or an added electrical box with fused circuits. If the walls are finished you should pull wire through conduit, othwise, drill through the studs and pull romex.

The lights will require 3 way switches and a 4th wire. There will be black (hot), white (common), green (ground), and a red for a 3 way switch.

The reason there is a reluctence to give detailed information about electrical is the safety factor. It's far different to try to explain in detail than to be present and "supervise" a novice. Same goes for running gas lines, swapping or installing water heaters, furnaces ect. There is just too much potential for personal injury and property damage. The statement is not intended to flame you or in any way infer that you are not capable

Old 01-12-2005, 09:38 AM
stupidjet
Senior User
i understand.
the i'm talking about it the circuit breaker box. the outlets and wires are already there, but was done by the previous owner and i believe, from these books, that it was done VERY wrong. two original light fixtures i want to turn into 2 outlets, which i need to install the new lights i bought. when i took out the fixtures i had no idea what the guy did for such a simple hook up, there are wires everywhere. so i just dismantled everything and marked after testing which cable went where. now i dont know how to hook it up so it works right. i'll figure it out by trial and error if need be but was hopping i could get some info here. thansk again!

Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
mtascill
Junior User
As some of the other people here have implied, I strongly suggest finding a qualified electrician to check this one out. Although the wiring you describe is not that complex, it's more than a first time DIY task; especially if you already have concerns about the quality of the pre-existing work. It's worth the few extra bucks or the faver you might owe a friend to get the job done right.

Also, when planing for the job I would look to break off to at least two circuits. Keep the lights and or outlets on different breakers. That way when you trip the breaker the lights stay on so you can see your way to the breaker. Also you should be using GFI protected outlets in the garage application.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 PM
stupidjet
Senior User
do you know how much an electrician charges these days? i cant even get a "free estimate." they want 95 bux just to come to my door and stand there for 28 minutes, that was the cheapest i might add.

i understand your worries, but you guys with knowlege of this, i' m sure you werent trained in a school, but learned from someone else, as i want to be. thanks anyways.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Cliford
Freshman User
Go to the big box stores HD or Lowes and buy your self a elect. book they should have a little green one it is really good.
What you want to do is there ,I learned from it 25 years ago.
The three way switch is in there you will run a 14-2 or 12-3 ,14 for 15 amp 12 for 20.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:16 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Well if in doubt,
Pull all of the previous work out and start from scratch following the book. At least thats what Id do in your situation where I wanted to do it myself, just follow a known good example of how to do it.
-Chris

Old 01-14-2005, 08:15 PM
mtascill
Junior User
You're absolutely right. Trained by someone else - In my own case, my dad is a retired electricain. Gave me an excellent grounding while growing up and is always there to back me up when I get in over my head. I've had opportunity to coach friends too but we were working together for the first few projects, even the simple ones.

I do appreciate your self confidnece and willingness to take on the task, no reservations about your talents. The concern here is over the limitations of the internet as a communications tool, it's simply not a replacement for working side-by-side with an experienced teacher. In my own case at least, I'll extend that to a lack of confidence in my own ability to convey sufficient detail through words alone.

I do wish you the best of luck on your project!

Old 01-14-2005, 08:40 PM
stupidjet
Senior User
readind about it in a book is no different that reading it here. but first hand experience without the brains of an editor is better. my father is a jack of all trades, always done EVERYTHING himself as long as i can remember. greatest words he ever said were, "if some else can do it, so can you." i live by these words. i'm going to tackle this project this weekend, so i'll let you know how i make out.

Last edited by stupidjet; 01-14-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:23 PM
axman
Junior User
get the book from home depot, wiring simplifed i think. they also carry ugly elect. handbook both good read up. if the old wire is not right correct it do the new wiring "neatly" and get inspected. the inspect will tell you if your wrong. i've alway had good luck with inspector helping me as a home owner. most homer go above the code and will spend 2cents more and not try to save 2cents.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:32 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
I think what everyone is looking over here is the fact that you can safely do electircal work at no risk by making sure that the end that eventually has to be connected to a live circut, ISN'T, as long as you leave that end of things alone it cant hurt you so if nothing else try working on it, but make sure that what youre working on isnt connected to any live wires, to do this with exissting wires turn off the service dissconect breaker in your box, then have a good friend thats knowledgeable(sp?) check it out or an electrician last I checked theyll check your wiring for you. Then when youre sure its right you can connect it to the lively end of things. You get the best of both worlds and at little or no risk. But dont be fooled it is hard to get it right and you might end up throwing a few breakers if you insist on doing it all by yourself so please be careful and let us know how it goes. Ive shocked myself good a couple of times in my exploits but I try not to make it a habbit, nor should you.
Good luck and be safe,
-Chris
P.S. To acomplish the garage door thing, give it its own circut from the breaker box in other words it will be a constanly live circut unless you have the service dissonnect off. Like I said previously please be careful and make sure you understand things befre you try, I cant provide the services of an electrician and you cant learn it all from someone onliee but at least I hope what I said might give you an idea of how to approach it a bit more safely .

Last edited by 73f350sc; 01-14-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:51 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would power the light from a new, or another circuit. That way if you trip the outlet breaker you won't be in the dark. Also, I would make sure the outlets are the GFI units.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:29 AM
midlf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second the "get a book" suggestion. It will save you a lot of time and headaches by laying out a complete set of information. Then you can ask here about things that are not clear or best choice when there is more than one way to do something. The books will also have pictures and drawings to help explain what they are saying. I used to be an electrician and still have to look to the books, especially when codes may have changed.

The GFI comment was good. Garage outlets must be GFCI protected. With the price of GFCI outlets there is no excuse for not using them.

Quick Reply: electrical in garage help