1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Do you remember the German Guy ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fatfenders
That's a sweet engine you're planning. Blue Oval Rage had been involved in building a few of them. He told me they will come apart violently if they aren't assembled just right, with a good stroker kit. I'm sure you know that already as you always do your homework before you spend your hard earned Pesos.
Saw a picture of one of those SBF Stroker Motors that came apart, split it right down the middle, with a couple of rods out the sides for good measure.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Kai
Elder User
Smile

I fully agree with Fenders. SBF is the way to go.

Here's the details on the engine on the pic:

- 306CID Pro Bullet Short Block from DSS Racing with Flat Top Pistons, Aluminium Main Girdle and Windage Tray. They did the assy. I was there last spring. Very nice facility near Chicago.
- Airflow Research AFR165 Aluminum Heads, 58cc mounted with ARP Studs. Should bring the CR to something just over 10:1
- Crane Roller Cam (rather mild)
- Ford Racing Timing Set
- Ford Racing Roller Lifters
- Ford Racing Pushrods
- Scorpion Aluminium Roller Rockers
- Canton 7Qt Qil Pan
- Standard Volume/Pressure Oil Pump
- Mallory "Ready-to-Run" magnetic Distributor
- Mallory Coil
- ... just to name the important stuff

... and here's what's next (for the truck):
- 302CID Stroker Ready Block from DSS Racing
- 347CID Street Fighter Rotating Assembly from Probe Industries / Coast High Performance with Flat Top Pistons
- Airflow Research AFR185 Aluminum Heads, 58cc

All that is here or on its way. And this is what I will add to this motor:

- All COMP CAMS Valve Train (Cam, Timing Set, Lifters, Pushrods, Steel Roller Rockers)

The rest is not yet defined, but I have some time to decide as I have to get the 306 done first.

What I really need now is to cut a deal with TCI for one of their trannys. I am sure the 306 can do serious damage to my C4s, but the 347 will just kill 'em instantly.

@MTFLAT, ... I had a Mexico theme party in my drive way some 1 1/2 years ago and I used the truck as part of my decoration. And yes, the text was written mirror inverted. I like it so much that I will add a real nice push bumper with just that text.

Kai

Last edited by Kai; 01-11-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:42 PM
airwick51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to have you back,Kai.If you need more money I still am waiting to take your rear fenders off your hands. Erik

Old 01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Kai

I think you were smart to have your 347 Pro built. A bit more of a tragedy for you when heavy parts need replaced and shipped over the big pond. Mild cam might keep the RPMs down, and you out of trouble.

I want a 351W stroked to 393CI soooo bad. And you guys have to listen to me dream until I get it in a year or two. I've seen the 351 stroked to 427CI. Similarly impressive high speed come-a-part PICs are on the web.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:16 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Kai,

You've been gone so long, 'fenders asked me to bring you up to speed on what you've missed;

1. A collection of old farts got bored cause nobody was posting questions they could answer so they got together an wrote a tech article about IFS alternatives for the 48 - 60 F1/F100s. In spite of their collective wisdom, they managed to put together something that made some sense and received over 5,500 hits (though approx. 2,000 of them were the authors admiring their own work). A later, second collective tech article is approaching 3,000 hits.

2. ‘Fenders went “California” on his truck and painted flames on her. Admittedly, not having any faith in his flaming abilities, he used watercolors and they washed off a week after he finished the job. (Just as well, they looked kinda girly anyway….)

3. Nathan finally got his truck to move under it’s own power and achieved an apparent 160 mph across the front cornfield. He’s hoping for 200 mph at Bonneville in 2005. All this with a flathead 8 runnin on 7.

4. Cuz John Niolon managed to make it through an entire year without switching his IFS to yet another brand. In fact no major modifications were redone this past year. Probably because he was too busy getting 18 more articles published in the two leading truck magazines.

5. Lots of new guys joined the forum and were amazed to find out how civilized we all are. Not overly bright, but civilized…. Many of these new folks were from Aussieland. A welcome change! There were/are so many Canadians on this forum, some of the older guys were afraid the Canucks might take over and convert it to metric. Some of the American guys wondered why so many Canadians are on this forum, until they discovered how expensive new trucks are in Canada. Now they understand that everyone up there drives 48 – 60 Fords (cause they can’t afford anything newer). ‘fenders generally likes all these newbies cause they tend to call him “Mister ‘fenders”….and that makes him feel impotent.

6. Mr.4spd turned 14 this year. So he says. He actually seems to know his stuff, so some wonder whether he really is a pimply faced kid that can’t get a girl and spends all his time with us or if it’s just the bio he uses cruising the teen chat rooms and he’s really some bald, fat, middle-aged degenerate (like Penn Dick).

7. Ferguson777 finally got a job. This enabled him to keep buying truck parts and not feel guilty about it. Unemployment didn’t make him stop buying, he just felt guilty doing it. It also keeps him busy enough that he’s quit trying to answer every thread whether he knows the answer or not.…

8. Several persons of the female persuasion joined the forum this past year. While they were made to feel welcome, some of the regulars now feel compelled to dress and comb their hair before they reply to threads since we now have a mixed audience. (In the case of Penn Dick, this was greatly appreciated by all.)

9. Bone headed stunt of the year went to Ferguson777 for using UV activated spot putty in Ontario in December. They don’t have sun or heat in Ontario in December…. Lost several days scraping and sanding it off and using normal stuff..

10. Bubba had everybody going when he first came on board. Folks figured he was a regular using a new account name…..Took a while for everyone to figure out he really was a newbie…..with grade two edge-a-makion… This guy is so backwoods, he makes Cuzin john seem uptown.

11. George came back just a few weeks ago. Fit as ever and helpful as ever. We all missed him and you.......... and where the heck is Blue Oval Rage come to think of it.

That's about it.

Good to have you back!

Old 01-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Paso1
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Kai Glad your back. Remember now keep a eye out for my karmann ghia parts

Old 01-11-2005, 09:14 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
No Flames Ferg,

Most outstanding Sir. You don't know how long we have waited for one of your worthless posts. One clarification of the above. If Bubba ain't the posting artist formerly known as Big Hands from S.C., then I'll buy you something nice.

And.............

12. We ran most of the Chevy engine boys off with our Ford rant, but we have several new ones now. EffieAurea and AXracer.

EffieAurea AKA Norb. He is a tree hugger from Michigan and thinks everything in this world should be yellow. Yellow trucks, yellow trees, yellow Chevy engines. He will surely never buy a Ford engine, unless he can find a yellow one.

AXracer is Chuck. Chuck is just like me, your garden variety post*****. You'll be reading his work. He'll be passing up my post count later this month. He can fling some BS with more authority than I, and I am truly humbled by it. J/K, he is our new forum suspension guru.

Lot's more noobs, but those are the two that harass me offline the most so I thought I'd introduce.

'fenders 3853 posts
+1 (He'll never catch me)

Last edited by fatfenders; 01-11-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
... AXracer is Chuck. Chuck is just like me, ...
You know Chuck, you don't have to take that kind of abuse just because 'fenders has been posting here longer.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Phoenixson
Senior User
Who the FHeck is Kai? , and why should I care? OK...OK....welcome back, even though I never saw your stuff until today. Nice truck Dude! Can I have your next engine?

Old 01-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Purple55
Tuned
Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Kai]I fully agree with Fenders. SBF is the way to go.

Now I remember why I haven't missed you,Kai.

But,I guess it could be worse- if you were a SBC guy.

Glad to have you back, anyway.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Kai
Elder User
You guys are awesome.

But aside of picking your noses, punching your keyboards, pulling other peoples legs, painting your trucks with finger paint, did anyone make real progress (i.e. winning truck of the year awards and the like) ?

Hey Fenders, ... if I had not started with 302 based SBFs I would have gone the 351W route like you want. This is THE engine. Forget the rest.

Hey you Chevy guys. My 54 came with a hot 327/TH400 combo out of a german Opel Diplomat. Guess what went out first ?!?!?

Thanx 777 for bringing me up to speed. It actually sounds that I in fact did miss some good action here. I better get that Mustang done and stop wasting my time on those forums. It's just better here with you all.

Kai

Old 01-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Kai, for me, REAL progress is measured by each bolt installed and each part painted. The "L" word (lazy) comes to mind, but I prefer to think of it as taking the scenic route to restoration of my baby.

I did get my engine installed and running. Only got one oil leak left to fix!

Old 01-12-2005, 06:06 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"Hey you Chevy guys. My 54 came with a hot 327/TH400 combo out of a german Opel Diplomat. Guess what went out first ?!?!?"

Gimme some international high fives buddy!!!!

And yes, I won the Best Custom Effie in LeClaire, Iowa title again for 2004, but I broke down on the way to the county fair for the regionals.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
56 Effie Aurea
Senior User
12. We ran most of the Chevy engine boys off with our Ford rant, but we have several new ones now. EffieAurea and AXracer.

EffieAurea AKA Norb. He is a tree hugger from Michigan and thinks everything in this world should be yellow. Yellow trucks, yellow trees, yellow Chevy engines. He will surely never buy a Ford engine, unless he can find a yellow one.
Now just a gosh darn minute!! Kai, pay no attention to fenders there....calling ME a Chevy guy ! Why I'd put a Mopar Hemi in there in a heartbeat ...but the goal is to find a genuine 1970 429 CobraJet ...and I have my YELLOW paint ready!!

Yup, I'm a big block guy...staunch & firm

Lookin' forward to hasslin' you Kai... and you, too, George. I've heard a lot about you guys, mostly good mind you. There something about us old farts and our old effies...haven't met one I didn't like yet...even the stock boys

...Now if I can just figure out which key to push here so we can meet in person at some watering hole where I could buy you all a round......................
Norb

Old 01-12-2005, 12:12 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Furgy your close but it was only 110 mph (177 km/h) with a stock 302, AOD and 4.86 gearing with 33" tires. I did it in 3/4 of a mile and at 3600 rpm. The 369 cfm 2 brl can't flow enough to go faster . Welcome back!

Quick Reply: Do you remember the German Guy ... ?