Turbo Not Mounted on Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:40 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Not Mounted on Manifold

First time I've seen it. On Speed Channel, they installed a Turbo on a car, way out towards the rear of it. The exhaust still spins it, but it is (the gases spinning the turbo) a lot cooler back there, so the turbo and under hood temperatures stay lower. Now with that kind if setup, why couldn't I install a turbo on my stern drive boat. I've installed tuned exhaust, but it is water cooled. Water is injected directly into the exhaust, and then it goes straight ou the back of the boat. Four 4" by about 18" stainless straight pipes, since there's two engines. I wonder how long a turbo would last, with salt water going through it? It sure would be easy to install 4 turbos inline with the exhaust pipes. Liguid cooled too. I think I would need to get rid of the domed pistons. lol

Old 01-09-2005, 04:50 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just saw it as well. They say it performs well; I remain skeptical. I didn't like the fact that i had an air cleaner behind the rear tire; I guess if it's dry out... and I certainly don't like running induction and oil lines all the way back to the front of the vehicle. I imagine it looks like crap under there. Like I said, I remain skeptical (but I have been 'educated' on more than one occasion).

As far as your boat goes... I wouldn't want to run the wet exhaust through the turbo, that cast material will rust too quickly. Having said that, on my Formula, which had 2 302's that I replaced with 351's, it wasn't too hard to mount the turbos beneath a cast automotive manifold and introduce the water just aft of the turbo.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Yeller
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can't run wet exhaust through a turbo, they are not designed for that. It's like using your home vacuum for cleaning up water. You can do it, but not for very long before it dies. You can run them with water cooled manifolds, just install them after the manifolds and before the water enters the exhaust. If you go that route, the turbos have to be sized differently than a car/truck engine. Because the exhaust will be cooler than an auto, it will have a lower velocity so the turbines need to be smaller in order to spool up.

Now...sorry for hijacking your thread but...question for hkiefus
Originally Posted by hkiefus
Having said that, on my Formula, which had 2 302's that I replaced with 351's, it wasn't too hard to mount the turbos beneath a cast automotive manifold and introduce the water just aft of the turbo.
I want to twin turbo my boat, but the turbos I have are too big if I run my water cooled exhaust manifolds. I want to build my own (non-cooled) headers but I am very concerned with the under hatch temperatures. Non-water cooled manifolds are illegal do to the heat, but I figured I would double heat wrap em to reduce the temperature. Anyways.....do you find the heat excessive because of your manifold?

Last edited by Yeller; 01-09-2005 at 05:51 PM.