Notices

Waxing truck, what do I need

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 10:15 PM
C M Budke
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordguy21
Only thing about waxing our trucks is that you have to becareful not to get wax on you plastic trim peices because it is almost impossible to get off.
I've detailed cars for friends a few times. That's what happens what happens when you get good at it. Just make sure they give you decent compansation! A couple of them have been late model Wranglers. LOTS OF PLASTIC. I found it was easier to mask them off then anything. I used 2" blue easy release tape on them. Nothing looks worse then white wax residue on black plastic. By the way, Mothers makes a product called Back to Black. You apply it to old plastic trim. After a couple coats, it looks awesome.

originally posted by RyanMiller
I bought some meguiars wax in a little can, and applied that on the truck, let it dry till it was foggy, and buffed it out by hand with a terry cloth thing. It came out great!
Glad to here it came out well!

Chris

Old 01-13-2005, 11:44 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1BadF150
Meguiars and zymol are auto zone waxes... you want the good stuff? go here http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc and go to "product info"
zaino is supposed to be good. Other detailer grade products to consider are klasse, pinnacle, menzerna, p21s, wolgang and a few others.
thanks for the link!

a good forum for car care is http://autopia.org/forums/

Last edited by beeboy; 01-13-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:50 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Ryan: Visit their website at meguiars.com. They offer a free service called the paint rx in which you answer some broad questions about your truck and they respond with their proper products to produce the desired result. I have used their products for 40 years - consistently good stuff. Beeboy mentioned autopia.com - that is also a good forum and he is also correct about keeping the angle grinder away from your paint. To an untrained hand, it is real easy to burn through your paint job.

The orbital polishers with the thick foam pads work reasonably well and are bullet-proof as far as burning your paint. It will save your arm when using it to apply your product of choice.

Recently purchased a Porter Cable 7424 random orbit machine which was on sale from Amazon.com. I then needed to purchase a variety of pads - cutter, polisher, one to apply the final coat and a buffer pad. This machine is awesome and fast. It used to take me about 1 1/2 hours to clean up one of our Rangers and now it is about 40 minutes. I try to do this each time they are in for service so they look good. We use Granitize products - I use a silicone-free cleaner - windows and everything - followed by their polymer wetcoat which holds up very well. I have never seen this stuff on the shelf in a parts store but one can get it from the mfg. at their website.

Good luck.

Russ

Old 02-01-2005, 10:29 PM
sacf250
Junior User
Meguairs is the way to go its good stuff. Stay away from the buffer unless you have some thing to pratic on first. once you burn a hole in the paint your screwed. use the wax/cleaner stuff it works good and you only have one step not two. I use that at home. but at work I use some other stuuf but I put it on with a buffer and theres three steps to it. Just make sure your truck is clean. you can also use silcon dressing on all the plastic parts to clean them up.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Antacus
Elder User
They guys at work with vetts and porches all swear by claybar and zaino, at least 2 coats. I figure my f250 CC has a bit more body to claybar then the lil sports cars

Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 PM
beeboy
Postmaster
claybaring goes quick, you dont do it that often. I've heard good things about Zaino too.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 AM
dgreen
Junior User
Last time I used Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Paste Wax and was impressed with it. It goes on easy and comes off easy, and looks great. We'll see how long it lasts. . . . before I'm sold on it.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:58 PM
mathelm
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a $20 dollar bill and the neighbors kid....

Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Xplore01
New User
Hi,
I use a claybar, with plenty of lube (Meguiars Quick Detailer) after a good wash, then use Meguiars carnuba wax, and found that the Mr.Clean spongey thingys, do a great job of not only cleaning the trim, but leave it looking great at the same time.
Sandy

Old 02-05-2005, 07:33 PM
truebluefx
Junior User
wax it by hand, Ive only heard bad things about grinding. I use meguiars cleaner and wax. But theres plenty to choose from. Im even thinking about trying a few different kinds.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Fordbyford
Senior User
I use Meguiar's cleaner-wax with some good pads and a microfiber cloth to buff it out and it comes out really really nice I cant imagin using a machines polisher on my baby but anyway its just my opinion happy waxing

Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 AM
tazmanian_cowboy
Senior User
Will be picking up an '05 in April. Can and should I wax the new paint? If not how long should I wait?

Taz

Old 02-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Porthos
New User
Blitz Wax

There are many products out there, but I would recommend One Grand's products (search for onegrand in any search engine com). They have been in business since 1933, but are not well known because they have mostly marketed to professional detail shops, not the "average joe". They make one of the best carnauba waxes around, and at a price everyone can afford, too.
For the absolute best wax job, be sure you use both a glaze or polish and then the wax. Most people just wash and wax, but use the polish first and you wont believe the difference. I did it for my dad's old '69 Ranger with the original black paint, and even though his paint is almost worn through in places, etc.. it looked better and had a deeper shine than any car Ive ever seen on the lot.
I dont have any pics to share, but you can check out the 'Testimonial' section of their site, and see what kind of a look you can get with it.

Another thing.. in this day of multi-national corporations, they are still a family run business, and are willing to take the time to answer any questions you have about the products or how to use them.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:01 PM
TruckLarry
Senior User
Yeah, but the things scream a lot when you bang their head on the Wiper Posts...

-Larry

Originally Posted by mathelm
I use a $20 dollar bill and the neighbors kid....