AOD trials and tribulations

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Craigwell
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOD trials and tribulations

ok

i am now on AOD #2. the first one? well it sat on my garage floor for a few years before i put it in, and it was out of a high mileage LTD to boot, so i wasnt surprised it gave up the ghost quick.

the second unit is out of an '89 E250 van, that was behind a 5.0L. (i hope it has at least the "B" Overdrive servo.

this unit seems to shift REAL quick, not really spending time in second at all. then it finds overdrive, and likes to stay there. it's acting like it doesnt have much TV pressure, but i increased it some, with little change.

it also doesnt like to shift out of first the quick when it's cold... what do you guys think? is this AOD im using now dud #2??

im sad.. very sad... heheh

Old 01-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Craigwell
More Turbo
wow. i was rushed earlier when i typed that message, and i see how horrible it looks.. heh..

to clarify: i do have third gear. my only concern, is that the transmission either will not go into second, or just doesnt seem to need to stay there long at all. 1-2(?)-3 happen real quick, and then overdrive kicks in and sometimes wants to stay there, without downshifting to third until about 1/2 throttle, which seems to be a lot.

my truck does have 4.10 gears, and i understand the tailshaft governor may tend to coax the tranny to upshift a little early.

also, i cannot get the tranny to downshift into second at
any speed, whether I have OD selected with the shifter or D.

i understand the intermediate clutch applies when the tranny is in second, and im wondering if this is my trouble spot.

its funny in a way, my truck doesnt seem to really need second, as the six pushes through all the gears without effort. but if its a sign of impending disaster, ill stop driving it now, rather than tinkering more and test driving, etc.

any insight from you tranny gurus out there, id much appreciate it.. all my 'knowledge' of the internal workings of this transmission is theoretical. i just read, tinker and drive, remove & replace, try again.. heheh

thanks

Old 01-07-2005, 12:22 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The AOD transmission will shift 1-3-OD. To get second it must down shift to it. I don't know why Ford did this but you can get it to shift 1-2-3-OD but you must install a shift kit.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 51dueller
The AOD transmission will shift 1-3-OD. To get second it must down shift to it. I don't know why Ford did this but you can get it to shift 1-2-3-OD but you must install a shift kit.
That is not true for a properly operating AOD. They are supposed to shift 1-2-3-4.

It does sound like you don't have enough TV pressure, or have something wrong with the governor that is making the governor pressure too high.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:04 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
My AOD is doing the same thing? However I am now a 351 Carbed engine, and the kickdown cable is not hooked up, yet. With the cam I have the engine goes from 1st to 3rd and bogs down. Yet give it a little gas, look-out!!! I chaulked it up to the tranny sitting for a year and a half, and sticking valve body. This motor cost enough and will eventually blow the tranny, I just need to enjoy it for atleast ayear before a new tranny is needed, just need to fiqure out how to adjust the kickdown cable to the carb setup??
Al

Old 01-08-2005, 06:18 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I am new to the AOD scene. I just bought a 92 F150 and had to rebuild both the engine and tranny to get it on the road. I have about 1200 miles on it now. I didn't think I was getting a 1-2 shift until I watched the tach. It is shifting but you sure don't feel much. I think I would like a little lower first gear.

My real truck is a 66 F100 FE C6. The 92 with 5.0 AOD and 3.55 rears, really sucks. No Power, a real woose.

John

Old 01-08-2005, 07:09 AM
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The TV linkage needs to be hooked up and adjusted properly for the trans to shift right.I put one in my 351-C carbed f-150 and had to play with the adjustment to get it right.The trans lever needs to move through it's motion with the throttle from idle to WOT.The AOD will indeed shift 1-2-3-4,If you want to hold it in 2nd,you have to pull the old 60s FMX trick.Manual shift at WOT from 1 to 2,after it shifts into 2nd,pull it back into the 1 position then when you are redy for 3rd shift up again.One big no-no is full throttle OD shifts,that will take out the OD clutches.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:33 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
Well my shift lever only has 1-D-OD. There is no 2. I am going to hook up the kickdown cable. I might go with the Lokar kickdown for AOD's. But first I will mess with the stock cable and see what happens.
Al
I am sorry if I high-jacked the thread, just chewing the same dirt, that's all..

Old 01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 67 Comet steering column in my 79 so I only have 1-2-D.Same thing,three positions is what the AOD uses.Get the TV linkage hooked up and adjusted before you can diagnose any possible problems.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Craigwell
More Turbo
no hijack at all, alsair.. the dialogue always helps,
wherever the questions and answers come from.

to update my situation:

i do seem to have second, but only really can find it
if I do a WOT take off from a stop. (in OD or D)

the tranny will NOT downshift from 3-2 (nevermind 4-2) under
any circumstances.

I am starting to suspect the governor valve, as I am
certain my TV pressure is good, if not a bit too high
from me trying to compensate.

my truck has 4.10 gearing, whereas the tranny came from
a 5.0L equipped E250 van. I wouldn't think it had anything
lower than 3.54's. Would this affect my governor enough
to cause my symptoms??

DAY 1 and 2 of operation, this tranny worked almost the
opposite!!! held shifts long, all were crisp and clear
shifting. It was literally day three when the sudden change
occurred.

I went out that morning (20 or less degrees.. BRRR) and I hadnt
let the truck warm up much. It held 1st gear for quite a bit
before I could get it to shift into second. It was after the
tranny warmed up that I noticed my current shifting
characteristics suddenly appear.

sometimes it will hunt between 3rd and OD, sometimes making
a bit of a noise as it does. Works better for me if I
keep the tranny in D unless on the highway.

I must admit to not having much confidence in this tranny
lasting. If it goes, my truck will be parked a LONG time until
i can afford to buy a built AOD from a reliable vendor.

thanks for your time and thoughts guys

J

Old 01-09-2005, 02:51 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Old 01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
ALSAIR
Elder User
Well I got the Kickdown cable attached, not as per factory, but it is hooked up. Found second again. Nice shift pattern, although back to the same with 33" tires and 4.10 rear. It always kicked in and out of OD to D and back with the slightest load on it I.E. hills, slightest diffrence in throttle. Just going to run D in the city and OD on the highway.
Al

Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Craigwell
More Turbo
i am really starting to think the governor was the problem with mine.. after i got off the highway today, my tranny did NOT want to upshift at all, and i thought the gig was up.

i got home, lowered my TV pressure back to specs, and it seems to be working the way it was when i first installed it. i think the centrifigul governor got stuck open for a spell.

the tranny still makes the odd noise (squeal or buzzing sound) at times when i put it back in park after driving. Someone told me its the sound of fluid forcing its way through a dirty or sticky valve. lovely.

Alsair, make sure you read whatever you have to do see that you find the right way to set your kickdown. (it's called the TV or throttle valve cable on an AOD btw..)

on these transmissions, the tv cable is for much more than kickdown, it controls line pressure as well. I am amazed your tranny isnt toast already from not having it set up before.

try backing off your adjustmnt the slightest bit and see if it makes Overdrive hold a little firmer for you.

what did your tranny come out of?

Old 01-11-2005, 05:36 AM
ALSAIR
Elder User
The tranny only had 2 miles on it, wihout the TV cable hooked up, after a complete engine re-build. It is the original tranny that came in the Bronco. I did not have cooling fans for the Motor, so I did not drive far at all. I will be adusting the cable as per spec's. Although the shift pattern is pretty nice as is. I do know that an improper cable adjustment will smoke a tranny pretty quick.
Al