can i make a 4.6 aftermkt intake work on the 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:27 PM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can i make a 4.6 aftermkt intake work on the 4.2?

hey guys, lemme start off by saying i'm 20, and a full time college student so i dont have alot of time to work, and thus, not a lot of money. second, i love my truck.

on ebay, there are a ton of intakes for the 4.6 and 5.4s for around $35-$70, but when i search for v6 intakes, they cost $120-$200 for (to me) what looks like the same damn pieces.

does anyone have an idea of the layout of the 4.6L v8? is the intake location (where it joins up w/ the intake manifold) close to the 4.2? i figure if they're close enough, i can cut/weld/monkey around and make it work and not waste a hundred dollars.

thanks - Scott

Old 01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Bullfrog.
New User
Exclamation

Sorry man, but you are comparing the proverbial apple to an orange here. THe 4.2L is a V-6, the other are V-8 engines. Two extra cylinders, 2 extra water passages, and a totally different bolt & gasket pattern. It's just not possible. Keep checking eBay & maybe some day a deal will show up, or maybe someone here has a deal. Just don't waste your time or money on a pipe dream (or intake-dream )!

Old 01-03-2005, 06:23 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bullfrog is right. You would spend hundreds of dollars and it still would not work. Save your pennies and get the intake designed for your engine.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me thinks there is some cofusion here....
I'll bet he is asking about the air filter/intake kit like the MAC some of us are using.
I do not know if you can use a 4.6 and modify it to fit the 4.2.
Motorhaven (click "PARTS" upper right of the screen) sells the MAC kit for the 4.2. I think it's about $130.
I'm guessing a 4.6 would not work - but it's only a guess.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Bullfrog.
New User
Thumbs up

Ahhhh! Me thinks you might be right! Whew...my faith in the continuation of the MAN-gene is restored!

I admit I thought about the same thing...using the v-8 air-intake kit, but then just said 'to heck with it' and bought a K&N filter on eBay for about 20 bucks. My guess would be that the v-8's intake is larger diameter, so in theory, you could make/find a gasket of sorts to take care of any difficulties, and trim some plastic or metal if the length is not right. Heck, for $50 bucks, buy it, try it, and if it positively won't work, sell it again on eBay for $50 bucks.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Yea, the upper and lower intakes are out of the questions, but like Braina says, he's talking Intake tubing w/filter.

The problem is that a V8 throttle body is larger than our V6 throttle body and the intake for a V8 is different as far as getting it to fit correctly. If it doesn't fit correctly to pull air from the correct location, it won't really work effectively. BUT, for $50, try it out and if not, do what Bullfrog. said.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:59 AM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
well i'm not that worried about the intake diameter, i pretty much figured that i'd have to do something along the lines of cutting up a funnel or using a pipe bender to make it work.

it looks like both aftermarket intakes put the filter element on the right side of the engine bay (if you're looking at it from outside the truck) behind the coolant resevoir

if the metal tubing lengths are pretty close in length then i could make something fit, but if the v8 intake tube is too long (so that it wouldnt fit in the engine bay) then it'd be too much of a problem... actually now that i think about it trying to make a diffrent diameter pipe fit would be a big hassle too... maybe i'll just try and get some regular carbon steel piping in the right diameter and fab up the whole thing... yes i have the 'man' gene

...offhand does anyone know the diameter of the intake for the v6?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 AM
low
Senior User
No, but the v-8 an v-6 seem to use the same routing, and they use the same filter also, in stock form. So, I think it will work with minimal or no modifications at all.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by low
No, but the v-8 an v-6 seem to use the same routing, and they use the same filter also, in stock form. So, I think it will work with minimal or no modifications at all.

I kinda concur...you could get it to work.