1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Bridgestone Dueller H/L or Dueller Alenza?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:37 AM
LC39B
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Dueller H/L or Dueller Alenza?

I put a set of Dueller H/L on my 03 expy, they ride hard and are noisey. I have tried differrent air pressures (33, 35, 38 in all four tires) with no differrence. The firestone dealer wants to try the dueller Alenza's on the expy, will this make any differrence? or should I just have some Michelins installed. I am looking for a smooth quiet ride with reasonable tread life (tread life not as important as ride/handling qualities). I appreciate any input.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:18 AM
bkampbel
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LC39B,
Why did you end up deciding on the Bridgestones HL? I see in your other post that everyone recommended either Michelin or the Bridgestone Revos. Was it the cost? If I were you I would go with the Michelin, either the Cross Terrain or LTX M/S. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:43 AM
LC39B
Freshman User
bkampbel - I did not see the responses to my earlier thread, I thought no one was responding! I chose the Dueller H/L over the Revo because the Revo has an aggressive block that I thought would be noisey (Like my wifes 04 Mountaineer with the BF Goodrich all terrain). I chose the bridgestone over the Michelin because a friend works at Firestone and assured me they would ride better and there is a 30 day ride guarantee if I do not like them. They now are suggesting the Alenza to try, If not satisfied they will have another dealer install the Michelins for me. I am usually a Michelin person, never got good tread life out of them but always a good ride. (I should have stuck with them)

Old 12-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about some Cooper's? The Discoverer series of tires offers an AT tread, great life, and good performance. Maybe not as sporty as other tires though. For that they have a "Cobra" something tire, haven't much looked into it though, seen it on Cherokee's though.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM
TimGinCentralNJ
Junior User
howdy from another newbie....

...if you check some of the posts here, you'll see a large majority of board members seem to favor the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. And just so happens, I've had a set on my Expy for about 7 months now and really like them. Can't wait to try them in the snow.

I've been running BFG All-Terrains for many years, and had really good luck with them on a variety of trucks . I put a set on my '01 Expy the day I bought it, and got 63k miles out of them. The only reason I "strayed" from BFG is, they are kinda' pricey (well, not if you consider the mileage I got outta' them) not to mention I had heard rave-reviews about the Revo's on Tirerack.com posted by other long-time BFG All-Terrain owners. Figured I'd give the Revo's a shot.

So, IMHO they're both fantastic tires, but if price is a concern, I'd give the Revo's a shot.

Hope that helps,
Tim G.
'01 Expy XLT 4x4

Originally Posted by LC39B
I put a set of Dueller H/L on my 03 expy, they ride hard and are noisey. I have tried differrent air pressures (33, 35, 38 in all four tires) with no differrence. The firestone dealer wants to try the dueller Alenza's on the expy, will this make any differrence? or should I just have some Michelins installed. I am looking for a smooth quiet ride with reasonable tread life (tread life not as important as ride/handling qualities). I appreciate any input.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
TimGinCentralNJ
Junior User
Hey LC39B..."aggressive tread block" isn't entirely (m)

...what makes a tire noisey. For example, if you look at a BFG A/T KO, the tread blocks are incredibly 'aggressive', but they're also inter-locking. The noise essentially comes from the "slap" of the individual tread blocks against the pavement. If the tread blocks are arranged in such a way that no 1 individual block is hitting the pavement alone, you have a much quieter tire without that awful tire hum.

Just my $.02

Rgds,
Tim G.
'01 Expy XLT 4x4

Originally Posted by LC39B
bkampbel - I did not see the responses to my earlier thread, I thought no one was responding! I chose the Dueller H/L over the Revo because the Revo has an aggressive block that I thought would be noisey (Like my wifes 04 Mountaineer with the BF Goodrich all terrain). I chose the bridgestone over the Michelin because a friend works at Firestone and assured me they would ride better and there is a 30 day ride guarantee if I do not like them. They now are suggesting the Alenza to try, If not satisfied they will have another dealer install the Michelins for me. I am usually a Michelin person, never got good tread life out of them but always a good ride. (I should have stuck with them)

Old 01-01-2005, 12:33 PM
willica1
Junior User
I'm really surprised that you say the Dueller H/Ls have a hard ride and are noisy. I put Dueller H/Ls on my '99 Expy and they are super quiet and have a great ride. The hard ride could be associated stiff shocks. I don't know why they would be noisy.

Old 01-01-2005, 07:11 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I plan on putting a set of Revos on my wife's Trailblazer. I have run Bridgestone, Mastercraft same as Cooper Discoverer, & Cooper Discoverers. for years and for traction the Bridgestones were the best. The Cooper tires are great on dirt roads & rocks, but poor at best in snow & mud, there OK in rain. As for hard ride or noisy I never have noticed either. I guess I'm in the wrong generation. Or the roar of the 460 in my F250 4x4 takes my attention away from tires.