Manifold problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:16 AM
blusoul2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Manifold problems

Greeting all

I have a 1987 Bronco and it is not doing too well actually it is ok but it is having a bit of a problem and I am not sure of the actual issue I was told that my manifold was not working properly my truck smokes and at times you can smell the fumes in the truck. I was told that once someone opened my lid and saw a bit of red heat coming from the area where the manifold is located it also has some noise under the passenger seat area or at least in the general area. I need to take the truck through inspection by the end of Jan and I am not sure how serious this issue is and is it a reasonably priced thing to get fixed.

Thanks for your help
Natalie

Old 12-28-2004, 01:15 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Natalie,

What you are describing, sounds like an exhaust leak either at one of the exhaust manifolds or between the manifold and the Y-pipe. If you are smelling exhaust in the cabin, its a serious issue and should be fixed ASAP. The manifolds can leak at the point where they bolt to the engine or at the point where the Y-pipe bolts to the manifolds. If this is the case, it requires peplacing the exhaust gasket(s) in the space where its leaking and re-assembling the parts. The Y-pipe-to-manifold union has no gasket so tightening the bolts may be the only issue if its leaking there. There is a small possibility that one of the manifolds has developed a crack (they are made of cast iron). If this is the case you will need to replace the manifold that has the crack.

The noise under your seat is most likely to be the heat shield on the catalytic converter coming loose. Its not going to hurt anything but it will drive you nuts rattling around under there. Often the heat shield can be wired in place or a shop can tack weld it back in place. Just because its rattling doesn't mean the catalytic converter is bad.