6 disc in dash - no bass?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 disc in dash - no bass?

I have a '99 F-150 that came factory with the single disc cd player. I purchased a 6 disc in dash changer off eBay and it works perfect except I have NO bass at all. My voice literally has more bass than this radio does. Now I know I'm going to need an amp and sub, I've looked for stock stuff but I'm confused, a seller on eBay tore down a 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer and told me it had TWO amps, one hooked up to the stock head unit radio and another on the sub assembly itself.

What will be the easiest way to get some bass back? People are telling me that since the speakers aren't actually receiving any bass, I would have to wire up the sub and amp straight to the head unit itself. I'm so confused it's not even funny...

Old 12-29-2004, 07:41 PM
fordsuvparts
Senior User
The problem is that the radio you bought is has the premium sound system and the factory system you have is different. The radio you bought is set up to work with a factory sub and it cuts all the bass from the midrange speakers. I would try and resell the radio and go after market. I have seen this problem many times and ther is no easy way to fix it.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
cangim
Postmaster
You might look for a wiring diagram for that specific radio, it may have a dedicated sub out already. However, if it were me, I'd sell that one, and get another, if you still want to keep stock, try and find one that is out of a pickup. I have the indash 6cd, add a sub to fill in the lower octave and really love it, thought bout aftermarket, but then decided that I really like the changer in the dash.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
.... why do I always get these strange situations...

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-23-2005 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Language
Old 12-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Expo1997
New User
Unfotunately if you don't have either of the 2 amps that the expedition has(one inside the dash, the other in the rear 3rd roll passenger side) the bass is pretty much dead. you can try to get these amps off the dealer but that's going to cost a bit, or you can try looking for one on ebay. I would go with an aftermarket indash changer, or get a few subs n a good amp to feed them.

cheapest way out for you would be a new aftermarket indash.

Old 12-31-2004, 11:36 PM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
I think I'll just sell this one and get another factory unit, once I have some cash saved up. So I basically need the one that has the 2 holes on each side, the actual DIN radio? THis expy one I have had the metal bracket on the bottom.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 PM
brunetz71
New User
Cool

My buddy just bought a 6cd in dash off a Mustang GT w/ Premium Sound and wants to put in in his 2001 F250. Same thing happened where there is no Bass coming out.... He asked me for help and am saerching for options. I am sure someone out there has the pinout for these 6CD decks. A couple of these pins coming from the back of the stereo should correspond to Low Pass Frequency SUB outputs. Pinouts should be available from somewhere without having to seek to the 'Dealer'. They wont disclose the info anyway..........

Old 05-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Fordtrucktexan
Senior User
Wound up replacing mine with one out of a newer F250 Lariat, never found a solution to my bass-less blues.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
ratchet
New User
Post I have the pinouts for the CDX6 mustang radio.

I have the pinouts for the CDX6 mustang radio. They are fairly simple, however the line-level is so low you need a preamp between it and an amp. I use a harmon/Kardon 2 channel preamp and it works nice. Another big problem is that the bass frequency is set so low that you had better try and use an eq preamp to up the frequency some or have a very powerful amp. red/black is sub neg. brown is sub pos. other is 5-12 volts remote wire and ground. then other wires on the other side of plug are the same if you go across horizontally. on yahoo as mechanic_who_crashed if you need more info