Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Quarter mile time for 05 V10

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Quarter mile time for 05 V10

January 05 edition of Four Wheeler Magazine has a 6 truck shootout. This is a magazine for people who really push their 4 wheel drive machines to their full potential so for the average driver all 6 trucks would get them where they want to go. As a four wheel machine under extreme conditions the Ford came last of the group but still had some good comments. In half payload braking the Ford stopped faster than all the rest by an incredible margin. This is the V10 Forum so I will stick to the quarter mile times which the Ford beat Dodge Hemi and Siverado 5.3 L. Here are the specs on the trucks and times and speeds.
Ford F250 V10 SC 4X4 auto 4.10 gears 17.37 seconds, 78.86 MPH
Dodge Powerwagon Quad Cab auto 4.56 gears 17.95 seconds, 74.85 MPH
The Ford beats a Chev Silverado 5.3 L V8 and also a Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8.
The sad news is that the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma both 4 L V6s both are faster than the Ford V10. I am sure the 4.30 gears in the Ford would have made it a little quicker yet.
Sept/Oct 04 issue of Truck Trend does a pullout between a 2004 F350 CC 6L PSD and a 2004.5 Cummins. Ford time 16.08 seconds at 85.8 MPH and the Dodge time 18.02 at 76.4 MPH.
Good news for the Ford V10, You can dust a Cummins or Hemi even if your smelly cousin can eat you up. I love it because I have ordered a new V10 and am trading my 04 6L PSD in on my new truck. Take care, Wrench.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:02 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
just curious why you traded a 6.0Diesel for a new V10. I have a V10 and am very fond of it but it seems nobody switches back and forth between them. It seems either you like the deisel or you like the V10. I have a good friend thats doing the same by going from a 97 PSD to 06' F150 with 5.4 3V. the load is the same but he's tired of the smell, fuel, upkeep, and maintenece cost of the diesel. I've benn pushing him towards a V10 or at least a F250 since he tows a 28ft 5th wheel with an 18ft boat behind the 5th wheel.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Smile

I am trying out a V10 because my 04 6L Psd is hard on fuel, smells diesel fumes very badly after the latest computer flash and I have had to get it hauled to the dealer twice with EGR and turbo soloniod problems. I drained my fuel filter the other day ( routine maint. ) not a pleasant experience with the 6 L. and discovered I have an oil leak as well. I had a 95 and a 2000 7.3 PSD and they were both better on fuel and very reliable. My wife finds the smell of diesel motors very sickening as many people do. When we first got the new diesel it had very little smell and was fairly quiet. The latest flash made it noisier and and it stinks as bad as my 7.3s did. I am paying very little difference for an 05 which will give me more GVW, tighter turning radius, and a new V10 with decent HP and torque ratings. I have been researching V10s and they seem fairly capable and quite reliable. I think the 6L PSD has outstanding performance but I am not going to gamble on another one. I have read in so many places that a new PSD will be out in 07, that tells me something . Best of the Holiday Season to you.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
SLE I hope you school your "friend" real good and get him to take a gander at the towing forums. A 2006 F150 V8 5.4, even with 300hp 3valve, is going to be seriously challenged with the loads you describe. Not to mention seriously overloaded GAWR/GCVW wise.

Last thing I want to see is a F150 with 28 foot fifth wheel AND 18 foot boat trying to negociate a emergency manuver and panic stop! Not a good idea in my humble opinion.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:27 AM
cburgess
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sad news is that the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma both 4 L V6s both are faster than the Ford V10. I am sure the 4.30 gears in the Ford would have made it a little quicker yet.
Wow, I am really surprised by that since I have personally dusted a Tacoma. He was riding my tail on a road that went from a two lane to a one lane back and then back to a two lane (even tho I was already doing close to 10MPH over the limit).

At the next stop light we were side by side, and at green we both went for it. I only trailed slightly for the first 20 feet, but after that I was ahead and pulling away when he finally backed off the gas.

I do have the 4.30s, but wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference....

Old 12-21-2004, 10:59 AM
SLE
Posting Guru
Fredvon4

Trust me when I tell you I'm in the process of making him reconsider. He will be greatly disappointed with a F150 after towing the same load with a F250 Ext. Cab longbox 7.3 Diesel. I have nothing against the F150 but it is not a comparison for towing. I wouldn't even care if he bought an F250 with 5.4 so the truck is a least heavy enough to handle the load in a respectable manner. He eeps saying that he really only tows the full load 15 times a year with a round trip never being more than 300 miles. That and he sees all the other idiots at the lake that are pulling fifth wheels and boats with half tons, and of course they all say it does just fine. I mean what do you expect them to say. I think the truck he really needs is a F250 with the V10, this way he has the right size truck, enough power, no diesel. He only has 70K on his 97' and bought that brand new so mile wise he only averages 10K per year. It's only used for hunting and fishing since he also owns two late model cars. He's in the exact same position as me and this is why I purchaced the 250 V10. mater of fact is I'm purchacing his boat this spring and also his camper from him (he's had two campers for about 5 years and decide to order a new boat this year).

I deffinatly Agree with you.

Merry X-mas to every one.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
January 05 edition of Four Wheeler Magazine has a 6 truck shootout. This is a magazine for people who really push their 4 wheel drive machines to their full potential so for the average driver all 6 trucks would get them where they want to go. As a four wheel machine under extreme conditions the Ford came last of the group but still had some good comments. In half payload braking the Ford stopped faster than all the rest by an incredible margin. This is the V10 Forum so I will stick to the quarter mile times which the Ford beat Dodge Hemi and Siverado 5.3 L. Here are the specs on the trucks and times and speeds.
Sept/Oct 04 issue of Truck Trend does a pullout between a 2004 F350 CC 6L PSD and a 2004.5 Cummins. Ford time 16.08 seconds at 85.8 MPH and the Dodge time 18.02 at 76.4 MPH.
Good news for the Ford V10, You can dust a Cummins or Hemi even if your smelly cousin can eat you up. I love it because I have ordered a new V10 and am trading my 04 6L PSD in on my new truck. Take care, Wrench.
Interesting, this isn't Ford, or even V-10 related other than there are possibilities everywhere. Hot Rod had a feature on a stock, 10 second 1/2 Chev, 4WD a month or two ago. The guy pulled the 5.3, dropped in a stock 6.0, supercharged it and but a smallish NOX shot to it. Instead of turning the back tires into pools of molten rubber this guy reaches down and engages the front axles to get down the 1/4 mile in 10 secs. So, if he can run 10's with a 6.0 liter, why can't someone s/c and put the bottle to a V-10 ? Sure a 3/4 ton will weigh more than a 1/2 ton, but you're starting with more grunt to begin with with the 6.8. Someone is going to jerk the 4.6 out of a XL 1/2 ton, 4WD drive Ford, and drop in a 2000+ V-10 engine, tranny, transfer case combo and eat Lightnings for lunch. While the Lightning is frying it's tires, the guy with 4WD will be heading down the track.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I know SLE I see these yo yos every day dragging way too much with their F150 and little Expiditions it blows my mind. And you make a point I want to amplify. They obviously have the money to get the bigger rig considering all the toys they have and how often they go get bigger better ones... Sheesh go figurer...

I did overload and pushed my luck many many years. My excuse was Army PFCs don't make enought to get the right tool. I don't have that excuse any more.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Wink

Cburgess, Glad to hear there are V10s out there that can dust Tacomas. I hope the one I ordered is one of them. I buy a lot of truck magazines and there is a lot of variations in 1/4 mile times between the same vehicles. No two motors are exactly alike and when I was a kid back in 68 I had a Ford Comet Caliente 2 door hardtop 1966 model. It went real good and I even gave Chev 327s a run for their money. I traded it in on a 66 Comet Cyclone convertable and it was a dog. I couldn't even spin the rear tires. These were both 289 motors, both 1966 models, low miles on both of them. The ragtop was gutless but it sure was good for picking up girls. If I ever come into money I am going to buy one of those old 66 Fords. take care, Wrench.

Old 12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
cburgess
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrenchtraveller: That 289 was a good little engine. I had a girlfriend that had a 65 Mustang with a 289, and man-o-man, that thing could scream, it would peel out from a dead stop, and squawk the tires if you floored it while going 30. I would race everything that came along, and the car always showed well. My girlfriend broke up with me with she figured out that I liked her car more than her.

Someone who knows a lot more about cars than me will probably jump in and make a correction, but I am pretty sure that the 289 came in the V8 or 6 cylinder. I remember seeing a 289 but with 6 and saying "Why would they do that?" And you are right, it was a dog!

But I also drank too much at that age, so that memory might just be a bunch of impaired brain cells.....

Old 12-21-2004, 08:24 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2000 ran a 15.8 @ around 88 mph on a "Mustang Dyno" which is accurate within 1/10 of a second from an actual 1/4 mile run.This was before headers and probaly a clogged fuel filter.Click on the link,click on the streamer across the top and watch the video even if it is a chevy, it explains the dyno.
http://www.mustangdyne.com/

Last edited by V10KLZZ71S; 12-21-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Wrench, I read the article as well. Did you notice they didn't even use an FX4 equipped Superduty. They deducted points for the lack of underbody protection & rough ride. The FX4 package, with it's Rancho shocks and dual skid plates would have taken care of or at least helped with those issues. They did the same thing with the Silverado-used a non-Z71 model! Why??

The next point I noticed was that the V10 was one engine the testers didn't say felt underpowered. The Hemi-powered Ram got major complaints for lack of power.

I don't understand how some guys can complain about 1/4 mile or 0-60 times with these trucks. Lets see any of those others pull an 8000lb trailer up a highway hill doing 65mph and do it safely! I never considered that a Tacoma or Dakota might beat me racing when I bought my truck.

For the towing and mild offroading I use my V10 F250 for it works beautifully! I can't imagine going to a diesel or a mini-pickup after owning this truck. And I'll pass on the diesel-none of the diesel owners I know locally get the kind of mileage alot of the online owners report. The one guy I know with a 2004 6.0L F350 only get about 2mpg better than my V10-not worth the extra several grand to me unless you pull a real heavy trailer alot.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Mountainhound; What you say about 6L PSD fuel economy is right on as far as my 04 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat SRW is concerned. My overhead has been reading 12.4 MPG for most of the 8 months I have owned this truck. I do a hand calculation fill up and I get under 12 most tanks. Yes I put my foot into it Quite a bit but I have to have some fun. My 95 7.3 was always around 16 and my 2000 7.3 was around 15. If I average 10 MPG in my new 05 V10 and I like the power, I will be tickled pink. I have ordered the identical truck except my new one will be a long box where my 04 is a short box. I like to hear people like yourself are happy with the V10 and I only wish good luck to the people who drive the 6L PSD. It was my 1988 F250 4X4 with the 460 ( first year with the EFI ) that made me try the diesel in 95. That 460 could go as low as 4 MPG when I pulled grades with a 26 foot fifth wheel. I pulled the same 5th wheel with my 81 F250 4x4 with a 400 small block , same gears, same automatic, always got around 10 MPG. Sorry to ramble on, I love talking trucks. Merry Christmas, Wrench.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:57 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
If I average 10 MPG in my new 05 V10 and I like the power, I will be tickled pink. I have ordered the identical truck except my new one will be a long box where my 04 is a short box.
Wrench,

Mine's an '03 4x4 ext cab with short bed. I have 285/75 tires too. I average a solid 11.5mpg for 50/50 mixed city/hwy driving and a little over 14mpg for a strict highway trip at 65 to 70mph. I am pretty pleased with the mileage and I do hit the throttle from time to time for fun! A few times I even got a bit over 15mpg on a hihgway trip where I had to drive 55mph most of the time.

If I tow my trailer it drops to 10mpg-it usually weighs around 5500lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if your mileage was a little worse from the extra weight of the crew cab and long bed. I'd expect it to be over 10mpg mixed driving and maybe 13.5 highway.

I like the looks of the short bed and it's better offroad but one of the nice things with the long box is the bigger gas tank-29 gal for the short box and 38 gallons for the long bed. That would increase my highway driving range from about 410 miles to about 520 miles with the long bed! Nice for long trips. The long bed versions probably ride smoother on the highway as well!

Old 12-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
MountainHound, Thanks for the information on your truck. Sounds like a nice combination, a SC SB is a nice balanced looking Pickup and definately a better 4X4 . I went LB for the bigger tank and I haul a Camper when I go on construction jobs up north. I need a 4X4 because I run into snow on my road trips. Once my wife found out that the Lariat CC comes with power seats on both driver and passenger sides and the SC only has power on the drivers side, then CC was a must and now that the rear seat folds up in the back, I carry my work tools back there so its good for that.

You made some good points about that Four Wheeler article. I missed the fact that they never got an FX4 to compete in a 4x4 contest. How ridiculous is that! I have the FX4 now and the BF Goodrich AT that came with it served me very well last month when I had about 300 miles of ugly snow conditions. I am reading some bad things about the new 18 " AT tires that the 05 FX4s are showing up with and I hope my 05 shows up with something better.
Coming back to that Four Wheeler article, it is always a pickup with a new idea that wins these things and the Dodge Powerwagon has the new electronic diconnecting front antiroll bar that allows for more front -axle articulation. This " Smart Bar " as Dodge calls it would take some pretty extreme conditions to justify. How smart would it be to buy a 40,000 dollar pickup and trash it in the places the guys in their 10 year old beater Jeeps are having a hoot at. So long for now, Wrench.

Quick Reply: Quarter mile time for 05 V10