1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

More Ideas On Pinging????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Brother65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Ideas On Pinging????

My 3.0 Flex Fuel has returned to pinging again. I have ran premium for several months with no problem. Now that it is cooler and fuel is much cheaper, I put some regular grade in it and all was fine. I ran a little over a tank through it and refueled today and it started pinging not half a mile down the road. This all happened in a 4-5 day span and the fuel was bought at the same station. I plan on going back to premium on the next tank. any ideas why it would be fine for a tank then start in again? I am not sure how the computer adjusts timing according to fuel types but I thought that might have something to do with it.
The whole situation just got me started thinking about it.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:37 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 12-20-2004, 05:16 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
It takes a while for the computer to adjust for the different burn rates of fuel - 87 versus 92 octane. Could very well be just that. Try resetting your computer by removing the negative battery cable for 10 minutes or so. When you restart the truck the computer will have to re-learn your driving habits etc.

Also as mentioned in one of the above links, check to insure that your EGR is working correctly and that the port under the valve that goes into your intake system is clean and not clogged up with carbon. The exhaust gasses which pass through your EGR system actually "cool" the combustion which will reduce your detonation.

The manual for my Ranger says to use only 87 octane unleaded fuel that the higher octane fuels can damage the engine.

Give it a try.

Russ

Old 12-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Ford Tradesman
Junior User
I too, have tried a tankfull of premium, to no avail. I now just only floor it if I have to. Hardly ever.