Notices

anyone have trouble with Westin step-bars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 03:46 PM
wahoo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have trouble with Westin step-bars?

I've been looking at nerf bars recently.

Westin has an oval-shaped one that I like except for one thing. The step pads and end-caps are black plastic and don't seem to be attached too well. On the ones in the store I could slip my fingernail underneath the step pad because it wasn't really flush with the bar.

I wonder if those step-pads will be a problem years down the road.

Has anyone had any trouble with these?

What are the best built step-bars?

Old 12-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Aaron S
Senior User
Exclamation

I have the Westin Platinum CPS steps on my truck and the pad I step on got loose and finally blew off in a windstorm while driving. It was held on by 2 plastic posts about 1/4 inch in diameter that some how attached to a hole in the step bar.
Aaron

Old 12-17-2004, 11:44 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
I have Westin tubes on my truck, and no problem yet with the pads. The problem I have is the powder coating has been blasted off the back part of the tube. It was gone within 2 months of being installed. Having some experience with powder coating and knowing the durability, I am very disappointed with the quality. When applied properly, powder coating is extremely tough and durable. I suspect the tubes were not cleaned properly prior to the application of the coating.

At this time, I would never buy another product from them.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:53 PM
wahoo
Senior User
So this raises the next question... who makes the best step-rails?

Old 12-27-2004, 05:43 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
..........monster garage!!! but seriously, i got a set of signature series bars (in black) last march, when i got them home and took them out of the box, there was no mounting hardware! i called the 800 number on the box and was sent a new hardware kit next day air no charge, no hassle. when i put them on it was apparent they were ment more for "show" than usage. they didnt stick out enough for me to get half my small foot on and they were too high, almost against the rocker panels! i made some brackets at work to drop them 2" and move them out 1 1/2" and they are useable as a step point now (and the reason i bought them for) one thing i recomend: take a quart of rustolem (or your favortie rust-inhibiting paint) and pour inside each tube and slosh it back and forth, they are not treated inside the tube-just bare metal and tubular steel rusts more from the inside out (like your exhaust) dad had had good luck with luverne truck products s/s boards, dont know if they make tube steps. i paid 200 for my westin tube steps and had to do alot with them, go stainless if you can afford them, or make your own if you have acces to materiels and ability. so far the finish has held up, but we'll see what it looks like in the spring.........Dave

Old 12-27-2004, 06:04 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
I'm trying to remember the name, I think it is Westin that doesn't require holes to be drilled. They use existing holes or kind of clamp around the frame. Might be a something to look into.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:21 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine fastened to the existing studs of the cab mounts, didnt like like how it would put all that added leverage on the studs when being stood on so i made braces out of angle iron to go from the bottom of the mount over to the frame. (of course i realize i put more leverage on the studs by lengthing the bracket and making more of a "lever")