my oil is white

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:06 PM
JByrd1173
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my oil is white

checked my oil today and it was white ,my poor poor 292,guess ill put a 302 in it after all.
any suggestions?

Old 12-14-2004, 10:46 PM
big wind
Junior User
oil will turn white when mixed with water, causing an emulsion (the white part). I hope I'm wrong, but sounds like water has mixed with the oil.
Good luck.
ED

Old 12-15-2004, 12:46 AM
sixpack2639
Senior User
Definitly has water in the oil. Blown head gasket or cracked head would be my guess. Have you been loosing water lately? Got white/lite gray "smoke" that dissapates quickly from the tailpipe? Carl

Old 12-15-2004, 02:46 AM
Janet40
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JByrd1173
checked my oil today and it was white ,my poor poor 292,guess ill put a 302 in it after all.
any suggestions?
\

A 302 is a good choice if you must replace that engine, you said white oil?? Can't say i've ever seen white oil, but i've seen yellow oil when a person has a craked head or block, ussually if it's only a blown head gasket, you get compression in your coolant, start that engine cold and look for bubbles with the radiator cap off, this means a head gasket is blown btween a block water jacket and the cylinder, but when oil oil is yellow and YIKES even gets as bad as white!! Sounds like a crack in one of your heads between Valve area and the water chamber in one of the heads, way to tell which head it is, listen, let it sit over night, then remove one spark plug at a time, and when you run into a plug that is damp, BINGO, that's the side with the cracked head, don't give up just yet, i would not feel to great if this happened to me, but i would calm down and use the steps i told you about in my post. You also have the option of having a silicone treatment done on your engine by a trucking (Diesel) repair facility. i'm sorry this has happened to you, but i do know for a fact in this forum, one guy recently bought 3 old scrap 292's and i'll bet someone in here can get you one head, i'm thinking your looking at a valve to water chamber crack in just one head on that engine, i told you how to tell which head it is, do that, the start a topic asking everyone who has a head for sale, after you remove the cracked head, i know someone in here will have one to sell you, also a machine shop can magnuflux that bad head and sometimes easily blow powered irin the crack and bake it, i'll bet it's not going to be all bad as you think, i believe that topic where a guy said he bought 3 old scrap 292's was titled "What is a Yblock or a 292 worth paying", back track and you'll find that topic because i remember it.Now wait till it's cold, then remove one spark plug at a time, now when you find a damp one, that's going to be your problem area, and a head for a 292 isn't all that hard to find and you can find one right here in this forum, after removing the head remember to let the users in here know what numbers and or alphabets are on the head so they know what year deries and type, and the side with the damp spark plug, after you remove that head you also have your chance to look for a cracked cylinder, but let's hope not....Janet

Last edited by Janet40; 12-15-2004 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probley just condensation from blowby.happens this time of year if it cools of where you live.is it still running good.you should see a 302 with blowby .even my dipstick is frozen in.theyll go for years.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:55 AM
canzus
Elder User
I'd be checking for a thermostat, should be a 180*,
as running cool will cause just this problem, so will
short trips, where the engine oil doesn't get up to
a temperature that will evaporate the condensation...

SteveL

Old 12-15-2004, 01:47 PM
JByrd1173
Senior User
thanx for the info, you folks are great,i got some leak sealer to put in the cooling system or is this not a good idea?
the 302 i have is out of a 85 crown vic fi can i just swap intakes and go or do i need somethin else?help me pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase lol

Old 12-15-2004, 06:13 PM
canzus
Elder User
I wouldn't use that in any engine, full stop.
Usually does more harm than good. If I were you,
I'd check the t-stat and change the oil/filter, then
take it for a 1/2 hour drive, get it good and warm,
then see if the problem has returned, if it hasn't,
run the Y 'til it dies... then you can think about an
engine swap...

SteveL

Old 12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that it may likely be condensate. I removed the oil pan a few cold months ago and found whitish oil on the bottom after sitting a couple months. Intakes between the two engines won't match. Also be forewarned that engine changes in vehicles take planning and patience.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:58 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Yes, this time of year you'll see condensation cause the oil film on internal engine parts turn white. Change the oil.

292's bolt into trucks using bellhousing/timing chain cover mounts. I haven't heard of anything like this for 302's.