Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission Swap

Anybody done one yet? It's funny, I was looking to buy my truck with the 6-speed, but they just don't seem very popular around here, everyone seems to like the 'convenience' of the automatic.

My question? Anybody ever done an automatic to manual conversion?

If I go through with this, all my auto tranny stuff will be up for grabs. So far, the tranny seems to shift just fine from what I can tell, I just prefer a manual. So much so I am converting my twin turbo 5.0 project to a 5-speed as well.

Cheers!!! I look forward to hearing about this. :-)

Old 12-06-2004, 12:54 PM
sundy58
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not an easy thing. Need pedal, linkage or master/slave cylinder piping. And a bunch of other stuff I haven't thought about.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:58 PM
kalsc
Tuned

It is an easy thing, as you mentioned, all you need are all the relevant parts. Done it other vehicles, doing it on other project right now, and considering it on my lifted 250. Just trying to get some feedback from people who may have already done this.

:-)

Old 12-06-2004, 09:28 PM
eiznekcm
Senior User
I did it on a 90 F-350. I took the E4OD out and put in a 99 6 speed. Wasn't too hard(easy compared to swapping the old IDI for a Power Stroke). If the truck is 4 wheel drive get a transfer case also. I think the output shafts are different for the manuals. I got a matched set. Get the single piece flywheel and Clutch. Also the Pedal assembly, hydraulic linkage( including both cylindars), and the tranny cross member will be needed. I had to cut and weld both driveshafts(the u-joints were different on the new T-case), and there was about 8 inches difference in length of the Tranny/T-case assemblies. Good Luck. I hope it goes well.
Craig

You will also need a manual Flywheel, and maybe an adapter on the back of the engine. Or maybe the adapter is scrapped going to the manual. I can't remember right now.
Craig

Last edited by eiznekcm; 12-06-2004 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Oops I forgot to add
Old 12-06-2004, 09:43 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Yeah, that all sounds about right. I figure, once all the pieces are lined up, it will be easier to do this than to pull all the good stuff off my current rig onto one that already has the manual. Besides, once I locate the tranny and t-case, I can go through them and clean them up if need be, as well as new clutch and resurface the flywheel. Now, to find all the parts! LOL! Patience is a virtue and you'd be suprised what one can find when looking.

Cheers!
:-)

Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
That's it? I was thinking of this also. Since I don't have the skill to do it myself, I don't even want to know how much it would be to pay somebody for it.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:06 PM
kalsc
Tuned
It would be stupid money!!! There is a lot of time involved, and to top it off, if you happen to not have all the parts, then the project comes to a grinding hault until you can locate the/those parts.

I am currently converting my Lincoln Mark VII to a World Class T-5. I found a standard mustang and used it as my doner car, all parts are in da house!

This is my plan for the truck. Sometimes there are wrecks that come through that are completely not repairable (severe roll-over, etc.), yet the engine, tranny and related parts check out fine. Like I said, patience. ;-)

Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
eiznekcm
Senior User
Yea, That is the best way. Find a whole vehicle. Then you can just take waht you need. My donor for the Powerstroke was an e-350 ambulance. The tranny and T-case came from a bone yard, but I picked the truck and told them everything I wanted off of it. I got all of the bolts, brackets and even a few throw in parts just in case I needed them. I wish now I had grabbed the Duelly rear also.
Craig