Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

FORD SUV vs HUNDA SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 12:34 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnAW
Yes why would someone 60 years old want a SUV to drive, I have no trailer, or go off on back roads, but want one to travel with and have lots of room to put things inside. Also one that would get good gas mileage, and low mantaintance.
I wish I knew where you were going with this- it'd make the questions a lot easier to answer. You're talking about a $25K CR-V on one end, and an almost $35K Pilot on the other. Is there a way to narrow this down any?

1. The terms "good gas mileage" and "SUV" are pretty much mutually exclusive. A 4 cyl CR-V (there is no V6) gets about the same gas mileage as my 3.8L V6 Impala (21/27), gives the owner less power, less passenger room (slightly more storage room), a lot more noise, and is seriously compromised in the ride and handling department. Yes, I know the Impala isn't a SUV, but the CR-V really isn't either (Honda classifies it as a "car" on their website). The Escape is the closest competitor, and I'd argue the same downside for that model- it's a lot of money for not much utility. Obviously I'm wrong, 'cause they sell like crazy. For about the same money as an EB Expedition, the Honda Pilot offers about the same room as an Explorer, gets a so-so 17/22 mpg, can tow 4500 lbs (no V8 though), and offers some pretty cool electronic features.

2. What does Honda do better? Build quality is slightly better (but the difference is less than you would think- refer to JD Powers), resale is in a class of one, and the durability and reliability are legendary. Bear in mind, though- maintenance costs for the Honda are anything but cheap (call a dealer and price a 60K mile service. I dare ya to), and since we're generally talking 4-wheel drives, overall cost of ownership will be more.

3. What does the Ford do better? The biggest factor that jumps out is purchase price. Want a Honda? Fine- no discounts, no rebates- thank you very much. So, while the resale is higher, so is the initial purchase price (it all offsets one way or other). In Ford, you have 4 models that would fit into this discussion- The Escape (price), the Freestyle (the SUV/car combo), the Explorer, and the Expedition. As much as I love to post here there isn't enough time to run through the pros and cons of those models- but there's darned sure something for almost everyone in that product line.

Honestly, if the priorities are really room, good gas mileage, and low maintenance costs, an Odyssey or a Freestar are a better fit. Again, if those are the top priorities. If those are the top priorities, and you still want an SUV, this whole thing becomes moot, because the purchase is ultimately going to be emotionally rather than logic driven- no matter what you wind up with.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 AM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
A lot of people today aren't into fourwheeling and off road sorts of things. They want something that can get them through the snow, while being smalle nough to get into a parking space at work without walking 3 or 4 miles. That might be why the Escape is selling so well. My mom wants one. She likes the 4 cylinder for gas mileage, but I'm trying to push her into V6 territory, worth it in the long run

Old 12-08-2004, 10:13 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 97ford281
A lot of people today aren't into fourwheeling and off road sorts of things. They want something that can get them through the snow, while being smalle nough to get into a parking space at work without walking 3 or 4 miles. That might be why the Escape is selling so well. My mom wants one. She likes the 4 cylinder for gas mileage, but I'm trying to push her into V6 territory, worth it in the long run
No comparison between the 4 cyl and a V-6 in a Escape, the V-6 will flat out haul tail to say the least.

While I liked the smaller Escape, I couldn't help but thinking that I'd be selling myself short on cargo room and towing (I dont need it, got my F-150, but would be nice in a pinch), especially since a little one is on the way and I'd need room for strollers and various other baby stuff in addition to what ever extra cargo we may have with us.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
True. But if the kids are over 5, you're good with the Escape, since its cheaper, both price and gas, so you have money for your kids. Our F-150 has a third door, and when we were in Ontario, my uncle and aunt, they had a baby, about 5 months old. He offered us 26,000 right there because he loved it. Ther third door allowed him to get the the baby's seat in no problem. But we had gotten the truck that summer before, and we paid 31,000 for it, so we declined.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:02 PM
JohnAW
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
I wish I knew where you were going with this- it'd make the questions a lot easier to answer. You're talking about a $25K CR-V on one end, and an almost $35K Pilot on the other. Is there a way to narrow this down any?

1. The terms "good gas mileage" and "SUV" are pretty much mutually exclusive. A 4 cyl CR-V (there is no V6) gets about the same gas mileage as my 3.8L V6 Impala (21/27), gives the owner less power, less passenger room (slightly more storage room), a lot more noise, and is seriously compromised in the ride and handling department. Yes, I know the Impala isn't a SUV, but the CR-V really isn't either (Honda classifies it as a "car" on their website). The Escape is the closest competitor, and I'd argue the same downside for that model- it's a lot of money for not much utility. Obviously I'm wrong, 'cause they sell like crazy. For about the same money as an EB Expedition, the Honda Pilot offers about the same room as an Explorer, gets a so-so 17/22 mpg, can tow 4500 lbs (no V8 though), and offers some pretty cool electronic features.

2. What does Honda do better? Build quality is slightly better (but the difference is less than you would think- refer to JD Powers), resale is in a class of one, and the durability and reliability are legendary. Bear in mind, though- maintenance costs for the Honda are anything but cheap (call a dealer and price a 60K mile service. I dare ya to), and since we're generally talking 4-wheel drives, overall cost of ownership will be more.

3. What does the Ford do better? The biggest factor that jumps out is purchase price. Want a Honda? Fine- no discounts, no rebates- thank you very much. So, while the resale is higher, so is the initial purchase price (it all offsets one way or other). In Ford, you have 4 models that would fit into this discussion- The Escape (price), the Freestyle (the SUV/car combo), the Explorer, and the Expedition. As much as I love to post here there isn't enough time to run through the pros and cons of those models- but there's darned sure something for almost everyone in that product line.

Honestly, if the priorities are really room, good gas mileage, and low maintenance costs, an Odyssey or a Freestar are a better fit. Again, if those are the top priorities. If those are the top priorities, and you still want an SUV, this whole thing becomes moot, because the purchase is ultimately going to be emotionally rather than logic driven- no matter what you wind up with.
I would like to thank you on gaveing me information that is very helpful. Why I said the Honda is because my son was trying to say that would be the way to go.

I am 59 andwould like to have something that gaves me the gas milesage like my Biick LeSabre very low mantaince and very good gas mileage.

You talk about the Oyssey and the Freestar which one is biger? I would have to go with a V 6 do they gave you good gas mileage and low mantaince?

What do you think about the JEEP line?

Old 12-08-2004, 04:04 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
Honda Odyssey 8s an actual Minivan, whereas your Freestar is an upgraded Ford Focus in many aspects. So the Freestar is smaller. I dunno about gas though.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:28 PM
JohnAW
Senior User
Originally Posted by 97ford281
Honda Odyssey 8s an actual Minivan, whereas your Freestar is an upgraded Ford Focus in many aspects. So the Freestar is smaller. I dunno about gas though.
I most definantly need something bigger than that? Cannot stand somethig small like the Focus size.

By the way what do you think of the TOYOTA SUV's?

Old 12-08-2004, 05:05 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
Pretty good, the Toyota's. The old one's are besats, but the quality of the steel is so poor. We had one in the shop, where the transmission brace actually rusted off while the guy was driving. He was getting a clicking noise going around turns and under heavy acceleration. We looked, and we were shocked. The new ones are good from what I hear, and the V8's are supposed to be promising.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:57 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JohnAW
I would like to thank you on gaveing me information that is very helpful. Why I said the Honda is because my son was trying to say that would be the way to go.

I am 59 andwould like to have something that gaves me the gas milesage like my Biick LeSabre very low mantaince and very good gas mileage.

You talk about the Oyssey and the Freestar which one is biger? I would have to go with a V 6 do they gave you good gas mileage and low mantaince?

What do you think about the JEEP line?
First of all, I think we have a little confusion on this thread between the Ford Freestar and the Ford Freestyle. The Freestar is a re-engineered version of Ford's mini-van, while the Freestyle is the crossover-SUV version of the new Ford 500. The name "mini-van" is a misnomer- there's nothing mini about them, either in size or price. Quite a few of the plusher versions get sold to retirees up here that want to transport four adults and all their stuff (in decadent comfort) to Arizona for the winter. The Chrysler Town & Country has carved out quite a niche for itself in this area (not a recomendation, just a observation). Overall, the Honda Odyssey is probably the vehicle to beat in this catagory- but there's a sobering price difference to take into consideration as well. In general, you'll find the mini-vans offer better gas mileage and lower insurance/maintenance costs than mid-sized SUV's. Purchase prices are also substantially lower. Sooo...from a purely practical standpoint, they make sense. BTW, all are offered standard with V6's that range over 200 HP, so there's no shortage of power. Front wheel drive and traction control are also the norm, so on-pavement winter driving shouldn't be much of a challenge either.

The Freestyle approaches the problem with a crossover SUV design. It's a wagon (Ford won't say it is, but I'm old enough to know one when I see one) that was designed for folks that don't really need or want a SUV, want a passenger-car type ride, but need the space and utility a SUV offers, along with all-wheel-drive if so desired. Saying it's just a big Focus is like saying a Park Avenue is just an overgrown Century- the size and feature differences are that dramatic. It's worth a look, because it was designed with someone that has your needs in mind.

Knowing you currently own a Le Sabre is helpful. Those cars are roomy, comfortable, relatively economical, durable, and a good value. Owning one says a lot about the driver's tastes and expectations (high priority on comfort and value, low on flash or status). It just tells me you're probably not in the market for an Escalade (although Le Sabre demographics say you could probably easily afford one).

re: Jeep. Not as good as the Japanese rivals (or Ford or GM, for that matter) in matters of durability and reliability, but there are some screaming deals out there in Grand Cherokees right now. I would not buy one without an extended warranty though. Ahem.

re: Toyota. They wrote the book on durability and reliability (and Honda's read every single page). The Highlander is a nice balance of room/price/economy. I have a friend that recently bought one, but his wife drop-kicked her two year old 7-series BMW into his side of the garage and now drives the Highlander instead- she loves it. He's annoyed. Women- go figure. : The larger 4-Runner offers a V8 and a stunning sticker price (we're back in EB Expedition territory again). Then there's the Sequoia, which is more expensive yet, larger, more features. Forget gas mileage on any of those- it's not good.

In domestic SUV's- the Explorer isn't that bad a value, IMO. It doesn't really excel in any one catagory, but it doesn't have any glaring faults that I'm aware of either- and the money's right. For economies sake, though, I'd stick with a V6 (it isn't really that economical, but it's better than the V8). The Explorer is the largest selling SUV in the US (and has been for years) for a reason- it offers a lot of bang for the buck. Balance is the name of the game here.

What's interesting is that GM's product offerings haven't come into the conversation. Although GM owns the full-size SUV market (and there are some good reasons for that), they haven't hit on the right combination of features/styling/price in the mid-size market. I'm beginning to think they're hopeless in the mini-van arena.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure other will have some opinions to share as well.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:28 AM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
There's Ford Freestar ANF Freestyle?

Old 12-09-2004, 08:58 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend

Freestar

Freestyle

Old 12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
JohnAW
Senior User
Originally Posted by polarbear
First of all, I think we have a little confusion on this thread between the Ford Freestar and the Ford Freestyle. The Freestar is a re-engineered version of Ford's mini-van, while the Freestyle is the crossover-SUV version of the new Ford 500. The name "mini-van" is a misnomer- there's nothing mini about them, either in size or price. Quite a few of the plusher versions get sold to retirees up here that want to transport four adults and all their stuff (in decadent comfort) to Arizona for the winter. The Chrysler Town & Country has carved out quite a niche for itself in this area (not a recomendation, just a observation). Overall, the Honda Odyssey is probably the vehicle to beat in this catagory- but there's a sobering price difference to take into consideration as well. In general, you'll find the mini-vans offer better gas mileage and lower insurance/maintenance costs than mid-sized SUV's. Purchase prices are also substantially lower. Sooo...from a purely practical standpoint, they make sense. BTW, all are offered standard with V6's that range over 200 HP, so there's no shortage of power. Front wheel drive and traction control are also the norm, so on-pavement winter driving shouldn't be much of a challenge either.

The Freestyle approaches the problem with a crossover SUV design. It's a wagon (Ford won't say it is, but I'm old enough to know one when I see one) that was designed for folks that don't really need or want a SUV, want a passenger-car type ride, but need the space and utility a SUV offers, along with all-wheel-drive if so desired. Saying it's just a big Focus is like saying a Park Avenue is just an overgrown Century- the size and feature differences are that dramatic. It's worth a look, because it was designed with someone that has your needs in mind.

Knowing you currently own a Le Sabre is helpful. Those cars are roomy, comfortable, relatively economical, durable, and a good value. Owning one says a lot about the driver's tastes and expectations (high priority on comfort and value, low on flash or status). It just tells me you're probably not in the market for an Escalade (although Le Sabre demographics say you could probably easily afford one).

re: Jeep. Not as good as the Japanese rivals (or Ford or GM, for that matter) in matters of durability and reliability, but there are some screaming deals out there in Grand Cherokees right now. I would not buy one without an extended warranty though. Ahem.

re: Toyota. They wrote the book on durability and reliability (and Honda's read every single page). The Highlander is a nice balance of room/price/economy. I have a friend that recently bought one, but his wife drop-kicked her two year old 7-series BMW into his side of the garage and now drives the Highlander instead- she loves it. He's annoyed. Women- go figure. : The larger 4-Runner offers a V8 and a stunning sticker price (we're back in EB Expedition territory again). Then there's the Sequoia, which is more expensive yet, larger, more features. Forget gas mileage on any of those- it's not good.

In domestic SUV's- the Explorer isn't that bad a value, IMO. It doesn't really excel in any one catagory, but it doesn't have any glaring faults that I'm aware of either- and the money's right. For economies sake, though, I'd stick with a V6 (it isn't really that economical, but it's better than the V8). The Explorer is the largest selling SUV in the US (and has been for years) for a reason- it offers a lot of bang for the buck. Balance is the name of the game here.

What's interesting is that GM's product offerings haven't come into the conversation. Although GM owns the full-size SUV market (and there are some good reasons for that), they haven't hit on the right combination of features/styling/price in the mid-size market. I'm beginning to think they're hopeless in the mini-van arena.

Hope that helps, and I'm sure other will have some opinions to share as well.
Yes I am very big on BUICK's in the GM line. I only wish that they made one like the Ford Freestyle.

I would even be happy with a Buick Mini Van if there was just a thing.

I would like to thank-you for all the information you gave us. I do know that Mini Vans go charp at Car Auctions.