2000 Ford Ranger "No Fire"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:49 PM
fmcguire
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford Ranger "No Fire"

Hello All,

Yes I am new to the group and I have a problem. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 2 wheel drive V6 3.0L and it will not start and I have verified that it is not getting fire by pulling a plug and leaving it attached to the wire and turninig it over and no fire. I replaced the Ignition coil/module $87.00 bucks and the Cam Position Sensor $29.00 bucks and still no juice. Battery is holding up. Someone mentioned the Crank Position Sensor, but I don't know where it is.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred McGuire
fred@oids.state.ok.us

Old 11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
vfrocket
Freshman User
you may have already done this, but did you change the plug wires and plugs?

Old 11-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Old 11-19-2004, 09:27 AM
fmcguire
New User
Okay, I have not changed the plugs and wires but I have checked the plus and cleaned them, they didn't really need it, I made sure all the wires were seated good.

And Yes the Check engine light is on.

Now since my first post I looked around the engine and found a sensor that appears to be pointed at the Harmonic Balancer area and it has a toothed looking gear around it, I suspected it might be the Crank Position Sensor so i removed the connector and wiggled the wires a little and reconnected the plug and tried turning the engine over again. It actually tried to Fire correctly. But I would not start and actaully heard something that sounded like air coming out of the intake area. "Like a timing issue".

What Should I Do?

Thanks

-Fred-

Old 11-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
See if you can rent or buy an OBD-II code reader from AutoZone, Advanced Auto or some other parts store. You really need to pull the codes, the CEL is telling you that the computer has noticed a problem somewhere in the engine management system and stored a related trouble code in memory.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:02 PM
vfrocket
Freshman User
I agree, getting the codes read is a good place to start, they can point you in the right direction. This may be a problem thoough sice you cannot start it and get it to autozone. there is a way to read the codes on your own with a voltmeter...

Old 11-20-2004, 01:08 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Well,

If push comes to shove, look in the phone book and call a mobile mechanic or tow the truck in.

You've already thrown well over a hundie ($100) on parts while that CE light was staring at you, so why keep guessing and throwing money away....

The Crank Position Sensor does have to do with the timing as well as the Cam sensor, so if you *want* to replace that at this point, go for it and hope it works then pull the computer fuse/relay and clear the code and maybe everything goes on happily ever after.

Old 11-20-2004, 03:38 PM
fmcguire
New User
Well I'm Back,

I did replace the Crank Position Sensor and no Joy But I am getting fire now, But It just wont Start, I am getting fuel because it's all over the spark plugs. I checked the wires and they are all good.

I rented and OBD-II Code Reader and received one code. P743 Torque Convertor Clutch Circuit Electrical is what it told me.

What Now. And yes I realize I should have taken it to a mechanic first or at least read the codes first, but I am new to the newer vehcile and a little old fashioned about doing my owm repairs (if I can).

I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks Again.

-Fred-

Old 11-23-2004, 04:05 PM
fmcguire
New User
Hello, Just checking to see if my last request made it through.

-Fred-

Old 11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
I'm not familiar with the code you pulled, but if it's related to the torque convertor circuit, that would constitute a transmission issue, and I can't see how that would result in a "no start" issue.

Did you experience any other symptoms or problems with your truck before this recent "no start" concern? Any potential clues leading up to the current problem?

Old 11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
fmcguire
New User
NONE!

The truck was fine and then this experience. I am going to take it to a local mechanic I just can't afford to guess anymore. I think I am going to sell it when it is fixed and buy 70 chevelle or something older, I know I can fix them.

Thanks for all you help Folks.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM
fmcguire
New User
Update

Update on my 2000 Ranger.

Took it to a local shop recommeded by many. Found a Fuel pressure regulation issue and has resolved it. BUT truck barely runs and still backfires. he has tried replacing the sensors I have replaced (Cam Pos Sen, Etc.) with no luck. He is researching that the timing signal may not be getting to the computer.

It's pretty bad you can stump a mechanic. It does now have new plugs and wires, just so ya know.

Anyone have any input?

Old 12-17-2004, 01:12 PM
fmcguire
New User
:-)

Another Update for everyone,

I talked to the mechanic again today and he is still a bit stumped. He has been working with a dealership mechanic and has discovered that when they can get it to start that it is only firing on 2 cylenders (cross firing). They still think that it is some loss of communication between the ignition module and the computer. they checked all the grounds and cleaned them but it did not change anything.

I have priced a new computer at around $300.00 bucks but have no idea what the dealership will charge me to program and install it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-05-2005, 12:49 AM
daedgar
Freshman User
Like the way it runs in the cold morning

Why does my 04 Flexfuel 3.0 run so good on cold morning? In the afternoon I come home from work and there is a big differance, just try and zip the engine out of gear and nothing like the morning. It is in the 70's in the afternoon. The engine still vibrates alot, Im getting used to it. A lot of good info here thanks.