Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help! Water pump went out....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Jeff396
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Water pump went out....

I finally got sick of listening to the chirping noise that I thought was the serpentine belt going south. I thought these type of belts didn't do that when going bad so I decided to put the old one back on just to be sure and to check the idler pulleys....after all, the belt was fairly new. Somewhere in the process of removing the belt I grabbed the fan and it moved in a direction it shouldn't......yikes!!!!! I swear, it's moving a full 1/4 inch at the fan tips!!!! Even more amazing to me is that there is no liquid leaking!!!! From my searches here I guess I'll be heading to NAPA for a replacement but I have a question or two.

1. I've found a procedure on the net to change a water pump on a '99 Powerstroke. Is there any difference between that and my '97?

2. I guess I need to buy a repair manual not so much for this job but I do intend to keep this truck a good long while. Where is a good place to get one and about how much should I pay?

Jeff

Old 11-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
It's quite expensive but if you want to pamper your truck, go down to International and get thier pump for the T444E. It has a bypass filter setup built in with a replacable spin on filter cartridge. You have to change the radiator hoses too. I saw a writeup with pictures a while back and will attempt to locate it a little later.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 AM
holland501
Elder User
Are you sure its not just the fanclutch? Thats a lot of play for no leak. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Jeff396
Senior User
I'm sure it's not just the fan clutch as the pulley is also moving.

I saw some of the threads on the IH water pump with integrated filter. That looks like a pretty trick part but I do wonder how easy it is to get to the filter when it's time to change it. I haven't seen a price but it sounds like a substantial difference. I hesitate to pay that much more for a pump when the threads I have read show pumps wearing out with as little as 50k miles. I'm thinking the way to go is the non oem pump with the lifetime warranty and then add a filter from The Diesel Stop (I think that was the name of the place).

Jeff

Old 11-13-2004, 12:19 PM
troutnut1
Junior User
Just replaced my 1996 water pump Thursday and used the excellent 99 article at diesel-central.com as a guide.

My napa wanted $271 for the new pump and my local Bumper-To-Bumper store had a new one with lifetime warranty for $190.90. It came with the gaskets mentioned in the article so I didn't need to but them separately.

I bought the 1 and 7/8ths inch fan clutch wrench at Napa for $33. Also bought the universal pulley holder for $28 but ended up taking it back unused as my regular strap wrench seemed to work just fine.

You won't need to remove the coolant reservoir.

Loosen the CPS bolt and retighten while you are in there just in case you must one day replace it. These can get pretty sticky.

If your hoses and belt are more than a few years old I suggest doing them at the same time. You might consider a thermostat too. Maybe one of those 203 degree ones...

I found it easier to re-install the serpentine belt BEFORE replacing the fan and shroud.

I'm slow...and its cold in Montana...so it took me a lot longer than the two-three hours I read about. But it wasn't a complex job.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Jeff396
Senior User
My Napa gets $247 for a new pump with a lifetime warranty but will have to order it. I called Autozone and Advance Auto and both want about $300 but they do have them in stock.....that price may be why. I see they run $179 at Shopdiesel for a new pump but don't say anything about a warranty. Does anyone know what their warranty is? I figure since I have to wait anyways I might as well get the lowest price.

I was going to replace all of the hoses and the thermostat as it will be the first time at over 97k miles. Do the auto parts stores carry these funky hoses in stock or are they dealer items?

Jeff

Old 11-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Jeff396
Senior User
I ended up going for the Napa pump for $247 so I can have it by Monday afternoon. It's a new pump with a lifetime warranty....their remanufactured pump was $40 more if you can figure that one out. I'll post how it goes...

Jeff

Old 11-13-2004, 04:03 PM
marspec
Senior User
While you're at it use a low silicate anti-freeze. That will give your pump a longer life. Prestone makes one precharged with the SCA additive. Comes in a black bottle. Think the manufacturers number is AF-977HD.

Old 11-13-2004, 04:19 PM
Jeff396
Senior User
I'm hoping to reuse most of my coolant. It hasn't been very long since I flushed and filled it. I use the Zerex in the white bottle and add the Ford additive. I also ordered a filter kit from Dieselsite.

Jeff

Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Jeff396
Senior User
Well, that was easier than I expected. Hardest part was getting the old hose off of the thermostat pipe without damaging the pipe. The pump came with a new down pipe alread attached. That an the fun of working on a vehicle that's too tall......and it's a 2wd!!!

Question, has anyone had the nerve to torque those pump bolts to 35 to 45 ft lb?? I got sqeamish around 30 ft lbs and left it at that. They seem like small bolts for that torque and I wasn't sure at that point if I was going into steel or aluminum.

Jeff

Old 11-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff396
Well, that was easier than I expected. Hardest part was getting the old hose off of the thermostat pipe without damaging the pipe. The pump came with a new down pipe alread attached. That an the fun of working on a vehicle that's too tall......and it's a 2wd!!!

Question, has anyone had the nerve to torque those pump bolts to 35 to 45 ft lb?? I got sqeamish around 30 ft lbs and left it at that. They seem like small bolts for that torque and I wasn't sure at that point if I was going into steel or aluminum.

Jeff
Seems if Ford wants them that tight I would at least check all the bolts in a few days to make sure they haven't relaxed at all. It has to support a big fan and a long serpentine belt pulling pretty hard to the side of the fan. I have to agree with you on being sqeamish.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Kraken
Senior User
Hey guys. I heard of a $60 water pump for psd at an advanced auto. Thats sounds crazy to me since every one has said at least $180. Am I crazy?

Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 PM
marspec
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kraken
Hey guys. I heard of a $60 water pump for psd at an advanced auto. Thats sounds crazy to me since every one has said at least $180. Am I crazy?
I find it hard to believe that is the price for a PSD water pump, even if it was rebuilt. Perhaps the counter person was a line off when he looked up the part.