General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Resume' info

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 PM
DRP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resume' info

Today I went into bike shop and asked if they were hiring, and the manager said he would be happy to hire me for part time. He said to bring in a resume and I'd be hired. I asked him if he had any applications to fill out and he said if someone is capable of creating their own resume themselves with credible information, they should be able to work in a bike shop.
Now I've come here to ask what kind of information I should include on this resume. I know all the usual stuff like name, address, phone, SSN, education level, previous jobs, and skills. Can anybody think of what else I should put on it? I want to look as good as I can, even though I'm pretty much guaranteed the job.

Drew

Old 11-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you not have a program on your puter that has a variety of Templates for Resume's ?

Old 11-04-2004, 09:40 PM
duc_grrl
Senior User
Keep it to one page. Do not give them your SSN until AFTER they hire you. Format it nicely and if you don't know how, find someone that does.

Put a short section on what your "Goals" are. Try to tailor your goals so that it looks like working for the bike shop will help you achieve them. E.g., "Imigration Lawyer" probably isn't a goal that a bike shop is going to help you towards, whereas something about being a mechanic, sales and marketing or design is more likely to be helpful.

Another section where you can list skills that are relevant to the job.

A section for work experience, selected if you've got too much for one page, all of it if you are new to the work force. If you have no work experience, put in volunteer jobs you did or responsibilities you've had in high-school or other clubs/organizations you've been part of. Put down anything where you've handled cash, even if it's not formal experience.

A section for education. List your highest achieved school education and what you excelled in. If you've taken computer courses, mechanics courses or anything at all that might be relevant list that too.

Finally, let them know that you will provide references on their request but don't include them in the resume. Two or three will be enough if they ask. If you don't have work references, give them teachers or other important members of the community, doctors, pastors, etc. Ask your references first!

Hope this helps! Good luck! What kind of bike shop?

Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 PM
hreed
Posting Guru
Also have someone else read it to see how they like it. It is very important to make sure there are no spelling or punctuation errors, and use proper english-no slang! Good luck on the new job.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:26 PM
weadjust
Senior User
Google is your friend. Do a seach on sample resumes.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:07 PM
DRP
Senior User
Thanks for all the info guys. I have one problem though. I've only had one true job, but before that I was pretty much a moocher, not really working for money other than mowing yards. Should I just ramble on about my previous job, and should I give the name and phone number for it? I can't really think of how to fill a page on what I want to say about me. I am part of a school club and a church group, but thats pretty much it. Do you have any suggestions on what I could use to fill up the page?

Old 11-04-2004, 11:14 PM
duc_grrl
Senior User
Did you organize or volunteer to help in any of the events the club or church group put on? Did you ever lead a group doing anything? Did you participate in any events at school -- theater, auto shop? Mowing yards, sure -- include it, shows you have entrepreneurial skill (wow, somebody should check the spelling of that!). Deliver papers? Do you compete in anything -- BMX for example -- have you won anything? At this stage in life, anything goes!

Make your margins reasonably large (1.5 inches), use a 12 point font, use bullets instead of paragraphs and put headings and double space between the sections and you'll be suprised how quickly you fill a page.

Last edited by duc_grrl; 11-04-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Howdy
Posting Guru
From just what you've stated in your two posts, you have plenty of info for a one page resume. Use an example you find online for format. Most you find are not very realistic for a first job, but put down the the lawn job and the school/church activities with a few sentences about what you did. Just make sure it looks clean. The bike shop owner wants someone that will pay attention to detail and a clean resume that's shown a little effort will prove that. It's not so much what's on the resume at this point in your career, but how it looks.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 AM
DRP
Senior User
Thanks for all your help duc grr. The shop is your everyday bike shop on the corner. Mainly sells mountain bikes, and carries the top quality brands. Thanks again for your help and I'll be off to the shop after school tomorrow.

Drew

Old 11-05-2004, 12:17 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Here's a link to help you out: http://resume.monster.com/

They also list pet peeves: http://resume.monster.com/articles/petpeeves/

I agree with all the other information already posted. Keeping it to one page is important for a resume. Remember, this isn't a curriculum vita (FYI vitae is plural and misused on monster's website) and you should be able to list all the important information about yourself on one page. Keep in mind, this is an overview, not a complete and detailed description.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good resume is written in blood, sweat, and tears.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:59 AM
truckertaz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Mike W
A good resume is written in blood, sweat, and tears.

but really hard to read that way

Old 11-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I know, but when you are done, it seems like it.